I`m confused ( and have most likely read too much )

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Sorry for this being my first post but I`m all out of ideas after readin so much information: If you get to the end I thank you very much.

In a nutshell, I was diagnosed with type 2 about three years ago and have taken metformin ( first three a day then down to 2 ) after having chest pains.

The first year I was stressed through work and sad but true I lost a lot of weight ( 119 kg down to 93kg ). At my annual check up I got put on 2 tablets a day as "youv`e done really well" - didn`t feel like it though. My Hb1ac was I think around 43? I did stop feeling shaky when I`d gone without food and a it all seemed ok.
The bit in the middle was all ok ( retinal scans, weight gain/loss, etc ) and I finally got other things sorted which lowered my stress. I had a chest x-ray and although the pains come and go, I was told not to worry ( which helped )

A few weeks back I had my annual bloods taken. As it happened I was booked for an eyetest as I felt my vision wasn`t as good as it was ( laser surgery 10 years ago meant I had good un-aided vision )

THIS IS WHERE I`M LLOKING FOR HELP PLEASE:

A routine doctors visit to see about my deviated septom has put me in a spin! From the moment I entered the room all he talked about was what they were going to do with regard to my diabetes etc. I`ve put some weight back on and mentioned my vision. My metformin was increased to three agian, and they have changed my statin to Avostatin (?) from Simvastatin.

The opticians was a disaster as it was clear how bad it had got without me realising and she said that I should be wearing glasses for driving but she understood a prescription would be a waste of time as it was due to the diabetes.

Being clear, I wasn`t feeling any worse in my self or seeing any signs that Iv`e read about looking for ( I have all the classic things already but just accept them! )

On the 26th of january I went for my follow up to the diabetes nurse who was very understanding but I`m confused whats going on. I need to lose weight and I have to be more careful diet wise.

My Hb1ac was 96 and my chloesterol was 9

For the first time, Iv`e been given a glucose tester - the reasoning being that you "need to see the effect of foods on your bloods". My Dad is type 2 and now takes insulin ( diabetic since the day after he retires 12 years ago ) so I sort of understand the relationship.

I was told to only do blood glucose tests once a week for 4 weeks and then go back. My Mum doesn`t think this will help and I`m of the same opinion. On top of this, i`m a shift worker and have never quite got the hang of "regular" eating when you are awake all day and then do a nightshift - anyone???

Suffice to say Iv`e done more than I was asked and the results don`t look too good to me.

The first day I had had breakfast at about 9am and then didn`t eat anything else ( trying to not snack ) and got to about 4pm without any negative feelings ( except hunger ). I got a reading of 8 mmol. The next day I didn`t read and all was fine. The following day I had breakfast and dinner, cut out tea and went off on a night shift eating a sandwich at about midnight. At 4 am I did bloods and the reading was 18.7 mmol?

All this is vauguely immaterial and the other times I have done it its been between 12-19. I always left at least two hours after eating.

My concern is that today I had breakfast 10 am and went off to work. On the way home I felt weak ( like I originally did before being diagnosed ) Upoin getting home I tested as I PERSONALLY wanted to see the reading and it was 5.7 mmol???? Iv`e eaten and now I feel fine.

My understanding was that 5.7 mmol is normal so why did I feel so bad?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Keith, and welcome.

Sorry things have taken a turn for the worst, but you've come to a good place :)

What did you eat before your various different readings?

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Brunneria.

Specifically what did I eat before each test? In all cases, less than normal and nothing that I`m lead to believe I shouldn`t be eating ( but thats one of the problems in knowing whats good and bad and how i should eat it if i`m awake for 24 hours, etc )

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
to answer your last question - why did you feel shaky at 5.7? because your brain is used to treacle plain and simple.

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
to answer your last question - why did you feel shaky at 5.7? because your brain is used to treacle plain and simple.

So I must have been diabetic well before I was diagnosed then...........?

Knowing the readings isn`t helping me much then

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically the more carbohydrate we eat (breasd, pasta, rice, potato, sugar, sweet fruit) the more glucose is released into the bloodstream. Slow release carbs take longer to digest, but it all ends up in the same place - driving up our blood sugar.

So if you have recently cut back, and your blood glucose has been dropping, then your body will notice the difference.

Even though 5.7 is inside the healthy range, the fact that it was lower than your body was used to made you feel wobbly. It is known as a 'false hypo'. a real hypo is generally considered a reading below 3.6 ish.

Don't worry, the body adjusts to running at lower levels after a few days. Until then, it feels a bit weird, but unless you do go under 3.6 it won't be a problem.

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's really sounds like you have had a false hypo .... As Brunneria has said .. It would be helpful if you could tell us what you was eating.. The Dr advised eat well plate is not good for diabites!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Keith, welcome :)

Have a read of the items linked in my sig below about suitable diets for diabetics.