Annual funding

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm coming up to my annual funding being reapplied for, just wondering if this is the same for everyone in the UK? My control had improved immensely, no violent swings and hypos are virtually non existent but I'm nervous in case the funding isn't renewed, took me the best part of 10 years to get a pump and I'd hate for it to be taken away.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm coming up to my annual funding being reapplied for, just wondering if this is the same for everyone in the UK? My control had improved immensely, no violent swings and hypos are virtually non existent but I'm nervous in case the funding isn't renewed, took me the best part of 10 years to get a pump and I'd hate for it to be taken away.
Panic not :)
Annual! that is unusual funding is normally for the warranty of the pump 4 years. If you were given provisional funding for a year to see if improvement could be made and you have proved that you have managed this then all is fine.
Please do talk to your nurse/consultant about your fears and worries though so that they can reassure you. :)
Thanks @catherinecherub for the tag

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you :) unfortunately our CCG only agrees to funding for a year, I've been told as long as things haven't deteriorated or shown no improvement it's usually ok but I hate the idea of reapplying for funding every 12 months and I'm a born worrier lol

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you :) unfortunately our CCG only agrees to funding for a year, I've been told as long as things haven't deteriorated or shown no improvement it's usually ok but I hate the idea of reapplying for funding every 12 months and I'm a born worrier lol
Me too, in all seriousness though tell your team how it makes you feel and it's detrimental to your health.
From what you have said though it sounds as if you have nothing to worry about :)

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me too, in all seriousness though tell your team how it makes you feel and it's detrimental to your health.
From what you have said though it sounds as if you have nothing to worry about :)
thank you again, i hope so too - im going to practice positive thinking lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same here, in my CCG funding is for the life of the pump, 4-5 years.

I suggest you contact INPUT. They can help argue your case if needed. And maybe persuade your CCG to stop doing annual reviews.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Spiker, my team feel it shouldn't be any problem but it's just so frustrating only having annual funding.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think your team are telling you a bit of a porky...

The CCG had to purchase your pump... Unless its officially only a loan one from the Company.

If they actually purchased it then the funding was approved at the time and will last 4 years (unless you live in Northampton.. In which case you would not automatically get a new pump anymore). They will have got you to sign an agreement that they can stop funding it if you cease to get and maintain good control...but that can be withdrwan immediately if the hospital saw that you weren't making reasonable efforts.

I personally believe that your healthcare person is not actually being 100% correct....

Reactions: 4 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks donnellysdogs, I hope you're correct - i signed an agreement and must admit after reading this forum (and others) at the time I was surprised the funding had to be renewed annually. I'd be devastated if my pump was withdrawn, considering how I feel its changed things for the better and my results all confirm that too.

sofaraway

Where I live DSN submits an annual report to CCG, next door CCG has to be put before a panel every year. So it's likely that OP is the same and funding is submitted annually.

Funding doesn't just get stopped according to my DSN, if someone isn't doing well, or e.g not testing they are set an action plan and if they still fail then funding might be withdrawn.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks sofaraway, it sounds like my funding is along those lines.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Beggars belief that we all pay our money to the same NHS and yet get so many variances in fundings etc.

Writing reports for an annual CCG to file away is ridiculous. Makes me mad when their time could be spent with patients and not paperwork!

Reactions: 2 people