tattoos

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few months ago any cuts i have gotten take a long time to heal.as i have unfinished tattoos i would like to know if anyone has gotten tattoos and had they any problems with healing thanks dermot

sugar2

HI,
I am nt a tattoo fan myself, but as for the healing question, it is common for daiabetics not to heal very well, but is not always the case. You know your own body best! If it were me, I would make sure that my control was a s ood as possible, and then have a small bit of work done...to see how it goes, before plunging in and getting lots done. Good luck! :mrgreen:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Don't know if this is the same thing as not healing exactly but when I cut myself and get a scar, the skin heals up but the scar it leaves can take ages to fade, and sometimes does not fade at all with even quite minor cuts or nicks.

Does anyone else get this?

sandymaynard

Hi sugar 2
I have had my finacee's name put onto my arm under the other tattoo. I had no problem when i had the other tattoo but because of being on warfarin i had to have it recloured today and also had my fiancee's name put under it!
I must admit having it recloured hurt a little bit! i was told that even though i have now have diabetes, The bit that hurts is the inking, But i must admit that i was told that it may take a few extra days to heal. but not that much! remmeber to tell the person who is doing the tattoo that you are diabetic!

Hi anti carb,
I have been diagnoiused for about 5 weeks now! I have noticed that if i cut myself, the scar area takes longer to heal. The cut heals but the scar takes that little bit longer!
Sandy

mullaneder

Dislikes
thanks sandy that is good to know ,i can deal with the pain as my two arms are nearly covered in tatoos, i was afraid that i would be told that i couldnt ever get any more.to the anticarb that is exactly the same for me i have marks after cuts that i got 3 months ago

Lel

Hi,

I have had all my tattoos done sonce i was diabetic and had no real problems with them.
the only suggestions i have is that you have extra tight control before hand and the same afterwards as well as the better your levels are the better you heal.

Also make sure that you take extra care when cleaning etc. you will need to keep them moisturised more than normal as they tend to dry really quickly and be careful if they start to scab as they leave a bigger scar if the scabs come off...i learnt the hard way.....it caught inside my sleeve, i almost cried.

have fun
x

sandymaynard

Hi Mullender,
I must admit today arm a little sore! I am sure that you know what i mean! But other than that nothing! Everything okay! I am using a germaline cream, Just a little bit, to keep the area moist!
I have decided that i might get a second one now! Unsure at mo! See how i go! I wanted something unsual so i did just that!
I hope all goes well!
Sandy

mullaneder

Dislikes
thanks lel and sandy, i never scabbed with any of my tatoos, the secret is to put water as hot as you can bear on the tatoo when you get home ,now that really hurts ,then you put preperation h ointment on the tatoo and cover with cling film you do this for about 3 days cleaning it a few times a day , then you dont need the clingfilm any more and then you put savlon on it for about a week and it heals perfectlydermot :D

Lel

Mullaneder,

i think i need to go and get a tattoo now to prove your theory, all in the name of science you understand :lol:
They get a bit addictive and i'm having withdrawals!!

mullaneder

Dislikes
they certainly are lel but they are an expensive hobby also i get followed by every security guard around every shop ,my wife hates it but i just think its funny :lol:

JJ4

My husband has had several tattoos since his diagnosis and experienced no problems healing wise but he's always been good at bathing it and putting Savlon on to aid healing.

I will say though that his last one was massive and on his leg and he had a huge amount of bleeding and bruising afterwards. He is on asprin but was for the others, the only thing we can think of was that this was a new tattooist and they went too deep. It look horrible and even hubby said it was very sore - he's also covered in tattoos and doesn't experience that normally.

mullaneder

Dislikes
hi jj4 my brother got a tatoo on his thigh yesterday an he found that it swelled more than usual and also that it was very sore he seems to have more problems on legs than arms or back im really glad to hear that so many diabetics have gotten tatoos without problems looks like i will have to start saving for my next one