NHS prescription charges penalty notice

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read this bit, when I spoke to the people at the helpline they said they could back date the card if you paid for the prescription and kept the receipt. Surely if they know you got the prescription then you dont need a reciept and if you have the card now then they can back date it?? Or is that too sensible for them?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 6 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you can only receive a refund of a prescription charge if you are in the process of receiving your card. You have to get a special form (FP57) from the chemist dispenser - not the receipt. The FP57 form gives directions as to how you can claim a refund back.

I know it is a complicated process, however it looks like they are cracking down on people claiming free prescriptions lately.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have just received a penalty notice today for 96.50 covering the charge for two items and penalty of 5 times the two items cost. So being fined based on the amount of medication I need. My certificate apparently expired in August, and I have changed address. So I'm expected to remember five years on some conditions from then. And I notify the NHS of my new address. So no reminder.

Had two conversations with the 'Business Services Authority'. Currently challenging them on a right to appeal this, they say I don't have a right of appeal. Yet the NHS Act 2006 states (sect 193, subsection 8) (8)But a person is not liable by virtue of a penalty notice— (b)to a penalty charge, or a further sum by way of penalty, if he shows that he did not act wrongfully, or with any lack of care, in respect of the charge or payment in question

So the act in effect states that I can show that I did not act wrongfully or with any lack of care, yet they deny I have a right to appeal.
You could always contact your previous address and see if they sent a letter. If they didn't then they have not sent their notification letter which according to a previous post they claim that they send on their website! I would contact your local MP and see if you can involve them. If you kick up enough of a stink then maybe you won't have to pay which you shouldn't anyway! I think it's outrageous that it isn't a one off card anyway. What a waste of time and money to have to keep getting it renewed for all concerned!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
On Friday I too received a bill from those happy chaps at NHS England...for £132!! I have been on insulin for nearly 40 years and don't think ive ever had an actual certificate, so definitely did not receive a reminder :-(. I will be sending in an appeal, and also talking to my MP, as he has helped me on previous occasions when the DVLA couldn't have been more difficult.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel sorry for all those that have received a fine but I also feel it's our responsibility to make sure we have a valid exemption certificate. The reminders are not recorded so not to be relied on and difficult to prove if received or not. To blame someone else isn't really worth it. Someone mentioned how can they be expected to remember to renew when it's 5 years away but most of us manage to renew a passport and they last 10. As I said earlier, I really hope you are all successful with your appeals and I feel your frustration but hopefully it may also be a tough lesson.

Reactions: 4 people

pjohal1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just received a penalty charge too. I've never had an actual certificate as far as I'm aware, been a type 1 diabetic since 1995. Think i just have to pay up? Another stealth tax and an attack on people with disabilities by the current government, defo wont be voting conservative again!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have just received a penalty charge too. I've never had an actual certificate as far as I'm aware, been a type 1 diabetic since 1995. Think i just have to pay up? Another stealth tax and an attack on people with disabilities by the current government, defo wont be voting conservative again!
You need to get an exemption cert form from your GP surgery, so it doesn't happen again. They can back date the cert for 1 month so I understand so ask pharmacist for receipt then hopefully you will get the fine rescinded.

pjohal1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Th fine was for a prescription in November. My point is I can prove I am medically exempt, just don't have a certificate! appreciate the need to protect the public purse but there has been no theft. Conservative quango

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Th fine was for a prescription in November. My point is I can prove I am medically exempt, just don't have a certificate! appreciate the need to protect the public purse but there has been no theft. Conservative quango
But you haven't got the correct paper work. You signed a false declaration in the eyes of the NHS by saying you had the exemption cert, hence your fine and charge for prescriptions.

stevieg60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But you're not signing to say you had an exemption certificate - as I recall it asks if you have a "medical exemption" which I certainly have - yet I have also received a fine and a cost of £24 for the prescription total £124 - the irony is that this would be the last one claimed this way as i am now 60 and qualify for free prescriptions anyway - typical time waste for everyone

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
( I'm stood here with a prescription in my hands waiting in a queue....)

The actual wording is :" The patient doesn't have to pay because he/she ( E) has a valid medical exemption certificate "

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ******! :)

I know :(

I have no clue if this wording is new or not, I simply can't remember reading the back properly until today . I do in fact have a MEDEX card, so it won't affect me. I can't for the life of me remember having a card until about three years ago, when a new pharmacist asked to see it and I didn't have one . I had no idea that my GP needed to countersign a form , and actually, neither did he :confused:

Signy

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know :(

I have no clue if this wording is new or not, I simply can't remember reading the back properly until today . I do in fact have a MEDEX card, so it won't affect me. I can't for the life of me remember having a card until about three years ago, when a new pharmacist asked to see it and I didn't have one . I had no idea that my GP needed to countersign a form , and actually, neither did he :confused:

Signy
The wording has always been the same. GP has never signed renewal though as always been sent in the post after I had confirmed I hadn't been cured of type 1 diabetes :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Imagine my shock as I found a letter stating I had claimed free prescriptions but was not entitled to them. A phone call later I found my medical exemption certificate had expired (please check them guys) and they didn't care I owed them £133.20 well I thought I am on low earnings with child tax working tax and a disability element my earnings are less than 15k per annum now I'm getting tired and cranky with being fobbed off and thinking stuff u lot you want your money take me to court
i have posted about this a few months ago i got the fine over turned but had to pay for the prescription.
i say the same as you if it happens again.. take me to court ....the newspapers would love it
Be ware phoning these people the NHS Business Dept. as the phone calls are not cheap 5 calls £10

i do think that we should lobby MPs to get something done about this.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lobby MP's for what purpose ? To fight for the right for free prescriptions for diabetics on meds ? Hold on, we already have that. If everyone just ensures they apply for a medical exemption certificate and then remembers to renew it there really is no problem. I think we're very fortunate. The only thing which may need addressing is public awareness of these simple rules. I'm not a huge fan of MP's but we can't blame them for everything.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lobby MP's for what purpose ? To fight for the right for free prescriptions for diabetics on meds ? Hold on, we already have that. If everyone just ensures they apply for a medical exemption certificate and then remembers to renew it there really is no problem. I think we're very fortunate. The only thing which may need addressing is public awareness of these simple rules. I'm not a huge fan of MP's but we can't blame them for everything.

I sort of agree @dannyw.
The wording is on the back of the prescription stating the patient has a valid medical exemption certificate so no certificate no exemption, and the person collecting the prescription has the responsibility for signing that declaration. However, this is clearly a major injustice that legislation put in place to prevent fraud is being used to extricate funds from unsuspecting diabetics. Badly implemented legislation, rolled out without consideration. Perhaps a warning could have been issued before fine and greater publication of need for applying for exemption certificate first. MPs need to be made aware as I doubt many of them have a clue that their constituents are being exploited in this way. And I do believe this to be opportunistic way of raising more revenue.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The wording has always been the same. GP has never signed renewal though as always been sent in the post after I had confirmed I hadn't been cured of type 1 diabetes :rolleyes:

That's the thing .... I have been diabetic most of my life, and no one has ever told me prior to that new pharmacist that I needed an actual piece of paper or whatever to show that I was exempt. It has always been a case of " you are diabetic - you don't pay for your prescriptions, just tick the box on that back "

Of course, once I knew, I obtained a certificate, but this is before the clamp down. I think many people have been caught in the same trap, no information given about obtaining a certificate, ticking a box as requested ( or has often been done, having the box ticked for you ! ) and not actually knowing that it is not automatic. It's not only diabetics who have been caught out like this, patients with cancer and other conditions or diseases have been receiving letters too :(.

Just wondering - do pensioners have an automatic exemption, or is a different card neded? And for maternity exemption? Or means tested benefits ?

I agree with clamping down on fraud, but also think that many innocent people have been caught by lack of information. Granted, the wording is clear on the back of the prescription form, but what happens to those people whose prescription is automatically sent to a pharmacy, then it's delivered ? At what point does that person sign the declaration ? ( genuine question , by the way, I've never experienced this being done )

Signy

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering - do pensioners have an automatic exemption, or is a different card neded?
Tick box C... Is 60 years of age or over
No card needed for that unless someone invents anti-aging ;)
Seems I could be ticking that box before my current certificate runs out :eek: