LCHF mystery, help!

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Hi there

I have posted the below in the "Weight Loss and Dieting" forum but perhaps it may be equally appropriate here? Apologies for the cross posting but my little problem is driving me nuts! And, yes, to lose 1kg in a month is good (at least I'm not gaining anything!) but, reading everyone's stories, I had hoped to have lost a little more by now!

I hope someone can help me with my mystery!
I am currently on a low carb diet and have been since the beginning of January. Apart from a couple of "cheat" days, I have stuck to it religiously - but have lost a grand total of 1kg.... in a month. Below is a typical day for me in terms of BG reading, insulin and food - what am I doing wrong?!

4 units Levemir on waking up
BG before breakfast: 6.3
Breakfast: two boiled eggs, black coffee (4 units Novorapid)
BG one hour after breakfast: 5.6

BG before lunch: 6.1
Lunch: smoked salmon, prawns, boiled egg, leaf salad (no dressing), sparkling water (4 units Novorapid)
BG one hour after lunch: 5.3

BG before dinner: 3.8
Dinner: baked cod, salad (leaf salad, tomato, avocado, mozzarella, low-carb French dressing), sparkling water (4 units Novorapid)
BG one hour after dinner: 6.9

BH before bed: 6.1
6 units Levemir

I also go to the gym for one hour twice a week - I train with a personal trainer so I work hard, mainly lifting weights. Oh, and I'm female, 32.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly how much weight do you have to lose? And insuiin can cause weight gain so I guess it can slow weight loss down. I ground the first month of low carbing a bit up and down then the weight started to drop off.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would like to lose 8kg. I shall persevere but, it is frustrating that I seem to be doing everything by the book and not getting anywhere (or, anywhere fast... 1kg in a month is less than 0.5lb a week so, I acknowledge it is a healthy rate of weight loss).

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8kg isn't really a lot so it maybe that you will just lose it slowly . I wonder if you could up the veg too as you appear to be only having salads and I have found I've lost more weight the weeks I dropped some protein and had more leafy green veg.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to lose 8kg. I shall persevere but, it is frustrating that I seem to be doing everything by the book and not getting anywhere (or, anywhere fast... 1kg in a month is less than 0.5lb a week so, I acknowledge it is a healthy rate of weight loss).

Its about the same rate of weight loss that I get.
I'm type 2, very low carbing, with massive insulin resistance.
But I also eat a lot more fat than you do.

Not that the fat seems to make any difference at all to my weight loss. Cut back or stuff myself doesn't seem to have ANY impact.

For me, it is activity that seems to do it.
On a week where I have walked to and from work, plus taken the dogs for a trundle nearly every day, I get weight loss. Thats about 7-10,000 steps a day.
On a week where bad weather, new puppy supervision, or older dog has a virus (this happened in the Autumn), and I don't walk everywhere, then weight loss stalls completely. Thats about 3-4,500 steps a day.

So, for me, I need to be active in order to reduce insulin resistance. Food consumption and calories seems almost irrelevant. Except that if I eat carbs then weight gain will happen unless I starve myself on ridiculously low calorie foods.

Not saying that is what is happening to you, but you might try some activity 7 days a week, rather than intense bursts on 2 days...

Hope that helps.

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are close to a normal weight for your height might that be a reason you are not losing much of the 8kg you'd like to lose?

or

Does your current calorie intake meet your current energy needs so would you need to increase your activity levels to achieve weight loss?

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Add some coconut oil and this might kick up the fat burning. Google coconut oil and find what makes it different - would be to lengthy to write here

Reactions: 3 people

tinyroman

I'm in a similar position; started very low carb three weeks ago and apart from having sweets when having a hypo (3 times so,far), have stuck to it. Most days I have 20 - 30g carbs, usually from an apple in a Waldorf salad and some full-fat Greek yoghurt. Other days it may not even be that, as I do find it quite easy to keep to.
So in three weeks I've lost no weight at all, BUT have lost two and a half inches from my waist. To make me a 'proper' weight for my height I need to lose eight or nine kg. I'm sure it'll work out in the end, so don't despair Postitnote.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a similar position; started very low carb three weeks ago and apart from having sweets when having a hypo (3 times so,far), have stuck to it. Most days I have 20 - 30g carbs, usually from an apple in a Waldorf salad and some full-fat Greek yoghurt. Other days it may not even be that, as I do find it quite easy to keep to.
So in three weeks I've lost no weight at all, BUT have lost two and a half inches from my waist. To make me a 'proper' weight for my height I need to lose eight or nine kg. I'm sure it'll work out in the end, so don't despair Postitnote.
Maybe lower the carbs further and up the fat intake. Review how much protein you eat as well 1 gram per kilo ideal/target weight is good, a little more if you do resistances training. Eating to little might have the effect your metabolism is slowing down.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have started eating more cheese and full fat natural yoghurt with the aim of increasing my fat intake (and calorie intake!!) whilst still keeping my carbs below 20g a day. I also intend to see if taking coconut oil makes much of a difference.

I am now ignoring the scales and just going by how I feel/look in the mirror - feeling good about myself, looking decent.

Keep it up tinyroman, there is plenty of good advice and support on this forum :)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting topic as I try to loose some weight too. I find it extremely difficult and not much success so far (lost 2 kg on a strict diet and gym but got back very quickly to my previous weight when stopped gym and indulged in some carbs!)
Ive decided to try again and stick to it for longer. I still keep all my old jeans from before diagnosis :(

tinyroman

Modesty007 - can I just check? 1g protein for every kilo desired weight would mean I eat only 57g every day. Doesn't seem much?

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I am struggling to lose weight as well. I have gone from 130 carbs to 50/70 for the past two weeks but eggs and cheese do not agree with me. I love vegs salads but they don't have fat plus I don't eat a lot of meat. Maybe a couple of sausages, bacon and chicken. Just had avacado with mushrooms and toms with 4 slices bacon for dinner tonight,plus low cal jelly with fruit and cream. I have started having one cup of coffee a day with cream in. I snack on 30g pistachio nuts a day.
T2. and going for post op assessment Monday for replacement knee!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Modesty007 - can I just check? 1g protein for every kilo desired weight would mean I eat only 57g every day. Doesn't seem much?
That's 57g of protein content, rather than the total weight of the meat/fish/whatever.
For example, I had 150g of steak the other day which contained 33g of protein.

Reactions: Hegs and modesty007

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i may be wrong but weight training builds muscle and that shows up on the scale..anyone?

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Robert72 How do you know how to work out the grammes of protein in meat or in any protein food for that matter?? Thank you.