2 weeks on low carb

N

nicbarnett

And I have put 7lb on and are so fed up of boiled eggs for breakfast, ham salad for lunch and.meat a veg for tea.
I am feeling fed up, de motivated and just want to lose weight
What am I doing wrong x

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think keeping a food diary helps. You could perhaps post your meals here and you'll get better tips & advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you are a Type 1. I know nothing about insulin, but I do know that if you go low carb you have to adjust your doses accordingly, and excess insulin is stored in the body as fat. Could this be your problem? Sorry if I am way off the mark. It was just a thought.

There is also no need to be fed up with a low carb diet. Perhaps if you give us more info on what you are eating we may spot something.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi nicbarnet, hmm can you itemise what you eat? I know when i eat a little too much of what we consider low carb i still see the scale go up ::(( the recommendations for carb intake / protein/ fat are quite low , for a diabetic anyway, but if you are also trying to lose weight .... We need to go a bit lower, have you worked out your bmi and carb allowances, ? The thing that helped me most was lchf and weighing my portions and keeping a log, and the thing that helps a lot good regular excersise .

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Sorry nicbarnet, a very good book by dr r bernstein is diabetes solution 4 th edition which has a lot of excellent info ( he's a type 1) and there are chapters about how insulin levels affect fat uptake and how to correct this , all the best to you :)

Reactions: 4 people
N

nicbarnett

At the moment i eat 2 cold hard boiled eggs at work for breakfast
Salad of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, ham, Mayo and cheese for lunch
Meat and brocolli,cauli and green beans for supper.

I have adjusted my insulin and my blood readings are better but I now weigh 20 stone, not a good look on a 5'8 46 year old

As always thanks for the replies xx

N

nicbarnett

Sorry nicbarnet, a very good book by dr r bernstein is diabetes solution 4 th edition which has a lot of excellent info ( he's a type 1) and there are chapters about how insulin levels affect fat uptake and how to correct this , all the best to you :)
I will see if I can find this book x

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you eat enough fat? As in a meal fills you up nicely and you don't feel hungry until it's time to eat again?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment i eat 2 cold hard boiled eggs at work for breakfast
Salad of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, ham, Mayo and cheese for lunch
Meat and brocolli,cauli and green beans for supper.

I have adjusted my insulin and my blood readings are better but I now weigh 20 stone, not a good look on a 5'8 46 year old

As always thanks for the replies xx

Are you going regularly? That can be a problem initially. If you think you're drinking enough, try upping it by a litre a day and see what happens in a few days.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As a lower carber pretty much all my life and also a T1.. I wasn't having enough fat... I didn't need to lose weight but just adding in double cream on my coffees and virgin oil on salads, cooking with coconut oil and butter on all my veg dropped my weight hugely by 10lb....

I also add salt otherwise I don't get enough.

It is definitely about finding a balance and not sticking to the same foods everyday.

If I have breakfast it will be mixed berries with flaxseed and chia seeds
In a ramekin with heaps of double cream. During winter months I sometimes take this with me gardening in a sort of round small container. If I'm home it will be a variet of eggs if I have breakfast.

Dinner is varied that it will be anything from 95% meat sausages and eggs to steak and veg through to quiche and salad to salmon and salad. There's so many lovely dinners to have just without the poratoes, pasta or rice. We have a brilliant bowl of meatballs in homemade bolognese sauce and a bowl of it instead of being spread over a plate is actually more filling than having pasta.(the bowl is a large cereal bowl)

Pudding is normally cheese with a teaspoon of quince jelly, walnuts and 2 sq of dark choc.

Do add in things like walnuts and dark choc and cream and butter and full fat milk if you are able to. I know a lot of people for various reasons can't tolerate dairy..

Try adding more fat and try to vary breakfast.. Otherwise you'll just get bored..

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
You can download Dr Bernstein's solution book on kindle and iBooks for about £5.00. I think you will find it a very interesting and educational read. I follow his solution.,it works for me.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat 20% carb, 30% protein, 50% fat and im still losing weight , down from 16 st 8 lbs to 13st 1lb

Hi Clive, can you explain to me how you work out the percentages of carb, protein and fat please. Over 40 years you name it I have counted it but this is different - thank you.

N

nicolabarnett

It just doesn't seem right eat fat to lose fat but I will give it a go, I am getting bored of what I am eating but I have noticed the thread "What have you eaten today" I will have a good look through that this evening and make some notes.

My husband will not be impressed with me if I start having cream and full fat milk etc and he is an advacate of low fat this that and the other, i am not sure how to convince him that this is the better way for me to eat.

I'm interested in working out my BMI and carb allowance Clive as mentioned in a earlier thread, also the carb, protein and fat percentages.

Once again thank you all for your ongoing support xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It just doesn't seem right eat fat to lose fat but I will give it a go, I am getting bored of what I am eating but I have noticed the thread "What have you eaten today" I will have a good look through that this evening and make some notes.

My husband will not be impressed with me if I start having cream and full fat milk etc and he is an advacate of low fat this that and the other, i am not sure how to convince him that this is the better way for me to eat.

I'm interested in working out my BMI and carb allowance Clive as mentioned in a earlier thread, also the carb, protein and fat percentages.

My husband cannot for the life of him understand how I have lost above 31% of my weight and reduced my cholesterol by eating 3 or 4 fry ups a week, mounds of cheese, plus cream, butter and so on. It amuses him to the extent he tells anyone who will listen!!

A BMI chart is here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/bmi.html

You can work out nutrient percentages by using My Fitness Pal website or app. You need to play about with it to get the right % for you personally, depending how many calories and carbs you want to eat. How many carbs you eat is down to personal choice. We all tolereate them differently. Your meter will help you with this.

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would go easy on milk as it contains about 5% sugar. I used to love porridge with milk but find the milk quite as problematic as the starch in the oats bg wise so stay off both most of the time. Cream is also comparably high in carbs but you wouldn't use the same amounts usually.

Mayonnaise, olive oil, coconut oil, duck fat, goose fat and other lovely fats lack carbs and will fill you up nicely.

Fats don't make you fat, they fill you up and make you stay full for a long time.