dont think i eat enough hungry all time ?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the links in the posts. Phlaunt, Dietdoctor, aboutlowcarb and the rest people here have posted for you.

You are not alone. Carbs are not only sugar but so much nice things like bread and potatoes too. Don't eat them.

Butter really is fine, as is cheese and full fat yoghurt and all the rest of natural fats. Keep reading and testing and you'll learn.

Emie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness, impolite people, spiders
I am always hungry and it drives me insane. I eat so much meat, veg, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts you name it. Yet I'm still always so hungry about 1-1.5 hours after I've eaten. Just to be able to eat a large bag of sweet chilli sensation crisps and a bag of peanut M&M's ....... If only haha.

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really is confusing at first! Don't worry.

I avoid all bread, all rice, all oats/ grain based foods. I eat a few new potatoes and a very limited amount of sugar because I'm not keen on sweetener.

Ignore low fat advice. I've lost 2 stone eating cream , dark chocolate, butter cheese and other high fat foods.

I have gone from 13.9 to 7.2 in 3 months.

Look at the "what have you eaten today" thread for ideas.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what im struggling with I now how to not take sugars that easy cakes biscuits sweets candy chocolate ect I don't understand how to reduce carbs
easy is don't eat grain [rice etc] or grain product [bread pasta etc] starch veg [potato corn etc] sugary stuff including honey, fruit and fruit juice...eat everything else including lots of nonstarch veg.
get your weight, BG and drug dose under control and THEN add back some carbs to your level.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am always hungry and it drives me insane. I eat so much meat, veg, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts you name it. Yet I'm still always so hungry about 1-1.5 hours after I've eaten. Just to be able to eat a large bag of sweet chilli sensation crisps and a bag of peanut M&M's ....... If only haha.
T2?
hunger 1-2hr after eating can be reactive hypo-like [rapid drop] or too much carb in total
use your meter and do half hour checks after a low fat/protein high carb meal and see what your BG is doing over 4 hrs. cut total carbs down to under 50g a day for a month and see how you go.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what im struggling with I now how to not take sugars that easy cakes biscuits sweets candy chocolate ect I don't understand how to reduce carbs
That's fine, you've got the first bit right. Now the second -- carbs are in root veg, pasta, rice and bread. So what can you eat? Veg that grows above ground, meat, fish, and plenty of fat. Fat replaces the carbs. Fat is your friend!
I just had a snack of cucumber, gherkin, cheese, mayo & tomato. Low carb. I used to have toast and choc spread. Nice maybe but bad for a T2 diabetic!

Emie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness, impolite people, spiders
No T1. I don't each much carbs. About 20g for breakfast. No carbs at lunch as have boiled eggs and bacon. Then. About 30-35g for tea. So not much I don't think. Could be wrong :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No T1. I don't each much carbs. About 20g for breakfast. No carbs at lunch as have boiled eggs and bacon. Then. About 30-35g for tea. So not much I don't think. Could be wrong :)
20 grams for brekkie? That is what I have in one day.

On the other hand my latest HbA1c was 33

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you on a mixed/biphasic conventional or basal/bolus intensive?
I'm non insulin T2 ..so I'm guessing and what I've read here..best would be to put a post in the insulin forum page.
carbs seem ok, sounds like too much insulin at 1.5hr or too rapid a drop?
I'd look at your insulin's profile action and see if taking it earlier/later when you eat may coincide with your carb spike better.

as always here, everyone says start with miss a meal and overnight basal testing/if on basal
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

these people are cluey
@robert72 @Spiker @donnellysdogs

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are you on a mixed/biphasic conventional or basal/bolus intensive?
I'm non insulin T2 ..so I'm guessing and what I've read here..best would be to put a post in the insulin forum page.
carbs seem ok, sounds like too much insulin at 1.5hr or too rapid a drop?
I'd look at your insulin's profile action and see if taking it earlier/later when you eat may coincide with your carb spike better.

as always here, everyone says start with miss a meal and overnight basal testing/if on basal
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120
You know Jack you really are a sweetie but at times I wished you could read.

She is on diet only and I find the 55 grams of carbs brave regarding her T1 diagnosis.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You know Jack you really are a sweetie but at times I wished you could read.

She is on diet only and I find the 55 grams of carbs brave regarding her T1 diagnosis.
diet only T1? I'm confused and didn't see diet only [will go for a look]..a good honeymoon period?
I assumed a T1 would be on insulin and would then factor that into her post meal hunger..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but dr and dietbetic clinic are saying I cant have the high fat foods must cut out fats sugars eat healthy low fat diet and stick to high fiber options I di buy no added sugar drinks cordional to add to water

and they are wrong! This is old advice. We've all been given the same advice. NHS doctors and nurses only know what they have been trained to know. Modern research says they are wrong. It is simple. Carbohydrates all convert to glucose once inside the system. Fact. What we don't want is glucose in our system. Therefore we must eat as few carbs as we can. Even wholemeal carbs turn to glucose eventually.

Type 1 diabetics on insulin have to count their carbs and inject the right amount of insulin to deal with those carbs. Type 2's not on insulin have to rely on our own natural insulin which isn't working properly, so the fewer carbs we eat, the less insulin we need to deal with it, and the lower our blood sugars will be.

Have a read of this thread. It is simple and easy to understand and may help you http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
diet only T1? I'm confused and didn't see diet only [will go for a look]..a good honeymoon period?
I assumed a T1 would be on insulin and would then factor that into her post meal hunger..
Just be kind to our thoroughly confused OP. Post a few diet doc things or a phlant link or two.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be kind to our thoroughly confused OP. Post a few diet doc things or a phlant link or two.
I have given my considered advice to OP