Low Carbing Shopping

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can get 9 bars in tesco, usually found next to all the gluton free stuff. They were on offer last week - much cheaper than holland and barrett! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9 bars do have Palm Oil in them though.

Far too many things have palm oil in now, and because so many orangutans are killed, often burned to death, to make way for the plantations I refuse to eat anything with palm oil in. Makes shopping a pain but it has to be done..

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All of the above .. Less the meat (I am a veggie) and add a jar of coconut oil and pearl barly

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
All of the above .. Less the meat (I am a veggie) and add a jar of coconut oil and pearl barly
If you can find it get hulled barley .... sometimes called de hulled barley.
Cheaper tastier healthier.
Nowt wrong with pearl though.
Pearls a singer .... that's it I'm off on one now!

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
9 bars are a gf wheat free breakfast type bar made from nuts seeds. Loads of different varieties. Some even have chocolate! Some natural sugars in them but don't spike me at all. You can buy them in Asda, tesco and Waitrose. Usually on the "free from" sections. Some on here buy online in bulk if I remember rightly. I keep one in my bag for emergencies!

Thanks Sam, will go shopping with glasses on!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Far too many things have palm oil in now, and because so many orangutans are killed, often burned to death, to make way for the plantations I refuse to eat anything with palm oil in. Makes shopping a pain but it has to be done..
Hi - just checked on 9 Bars website & can't see palm oil listed in the ingredients. Hope they don't contain it? Do you eat peanut butter & if so which would you recommend as I think Sunpat & Skippy contain palm oil?? Thanks.

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a big fan of German Pepppered Salami that you find in the Deli counter in Tesco. They are great to have as a snack or to add to breakfast or lunch.

Pepperami is good too

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cashew Nut Butter
Trop50 Orange juice (for weekend breakfasts) - check it out for a low carb/lower sugar fruit juice

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ingredients
Mixed seeds (48%) (sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, sesame), Golden syrup, Cashews (11%), Vegetable oils (palm, coconut, rapeseed), Raw cane sugar, Sugar, Cocoa powder (4.5%), Emulsifier: Sunflower lecithin, Natural flavouring, Salt.

Palm and rapeseed oils in the indulge version of 9 bars.
Taken from the website today.

Also, I heard somewhere that food manufacturers are now allowed to just list vegetable oil and are no longer even required to mention that it's palm oil now.

On principle I can't buy something that contains it anyway. Orang-utan habitat destruction etc etc as @rowan says ... But I couldn't knowingly eat palm oil either.
Yes I agree. Wow didn't know they could get away with just listing it as 'veg oil' . The ones I googled were the peanut ones which were as below. Thanks for the info. Now I need to search for a decent peanut butter without it in!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423340192.673388.jpg

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - just checked on 9 Bars website & can't see palm oil listed in the ingredients. Hope they don't contain it? Do you eat peanut butter & if so which would you recommend as I think Sunpat & Skippy contain palm oil?? Thanks.

Meridian Peanut Butter Crunchy 100% Nuts has no palm oil, I get it in Tesco. They also do Peanut Butter&Co Smooth Peanut Butter but I haven't tried that one yet.
I'm surprised that Whole Earth does have it in though.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Meridian Peanut Butter Crunchy 100% Nuts has no palm oil, I get it in Tesco. They also do Peanut Butter&Co Smooth Peanut Butter but I haven't tried that one yet.
I'm surprised that Whole Earth does have it in though.
Thx @rowan. Got some today - fab!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423493915.122283.jpg

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thx @rowan. Got some today - fab! View attachment 11675

It's great so see the message is getting through enough for them to put 'No Palm Oil' on labels :)

By the way, there's a new 8-part series starting on Animal Planet called Meet the Orangutans on Thursday night 8pm (repeated Friday 1am and Sunday 5pm) about orphaned baby orangs in Borneo. Most are orphaned during forest clearance for palm oil.

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's great so see the message is getting through enough for them to put 'No Palm Oil' on labels :)

By the way, there's a new 8-part series starting on Animal Planet called Meet the Orangutans on Thursday night 8pm (repeated Friday 1am and Sunday 5pm) about orphaned baby orangs in Borneo. Most are orphaned during forest clearance for palm oil.
Thanks - will tune in. It's heartbreaking.