FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fairly new to this forum and haven't time to read all 115 pages, so apologies if this point has been covered already.

The datasheet that Abbott send with the reader says that "72 subjects with diabetes...........wore 2 sensors for 14 days". That's a total of 144 sensors, so did they have the same 1 in 4 failure rate as we, the "paying lab rats" are experiencing? If not did they all work correctly? If so why did they put the system on the market? If all 72 did work correctly, why are we now getting problems? Is there a manufacturing problem, user error or something else?

Graeme

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I had to take my latest sensor off, 4 days in and the itch was there. I was worried that my crazy layering system of Skin-tac/Opsite/Rocktape wasn't helping with the skin reaction or keeping the darn thing one.

Low and behold I've got an ugly red welt to show for my experiment with a nice layer of gooey skin and oozy nastiness.

I've cleaned myself up and started straight back on the Steroid cream and I'm glad that I didn't stick it out any longer than I did. I'm going to have my last stab at using Compeed medium blister plasters, because word on the street is that this is an effective barrier.

I must say, I'm a bit devoid of enthusiasm anymore. The Freestyle is undoubtedly a good tool, but when I need it the most it lets me down and I miss some really brutal lows that don't even register on the Libre. Plus I don't know if I should keep playing games with these bad skin reactions, I'm sure they're not good for anyone let alone diabetics.

Ah well, I'll have a re-think in 4-6 weeks time when I'm healed up again.

Fingers crossed for the Compeed. I share your pain, I am currently at the Steroid cream stage waiting for the last red circle to disappear. I feel like I'm running out of options but don't really want to give up as the system when working is invaluable.

By the way did anyone else get the email below? I applied, answered a few questions over the phone and was told that the category I am in is currently full so they would put me on a wait list. Is anyone else doing this?

upload_2015-2-5_19-55-56.png

payam7777777

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Just finished reading all 100+ pages carefully over a week. And i happen to have quite some prior kniwledge re. CGMS.

Dear Abbott!

Listen to me, and listen to me good!

This thing NEEDS to be calibrated couple times a day. Period.
You add calibration back to the system and viola!
People having Libre are BG-testing 3+ times anyways. Make it count/useful in calibrating.

Reactions: 4 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just finished reading all 100+ pages carefully over a week. And i happen to have quite some prior kniwledge re. CGMS.

Dear Abbott!

Listen to me, and listen to me good!

This thing NEEDS to be calibrated couple times a day. Period.
You add calibration back to the system and viola!
People having Libre are BG-testing 3+ times anyways. Make it count/useful in calibrating.

It does seem obvious that users should at least have the option of calibrating.
I assume that Abbott feels it would contradict their "Why prick when you can scan" marketing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It does seem obvious that users should at least have the option of calibrating.
I assume that Abbott feels it would contradict their "Why prick when you can scan" marketing.
Which is being disproven any way as it has become "Prick and scan, because you have to!"

Reactions: 5 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No reply from Abbott yet re. faulty sensor. It's even worse today, showing twice as much as blood test e.g. 13.0 against 6.7!!!!!!

Graeme

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No reply from Abbott yet re. faulty sensor. It's even worse today, showing twice as much as blood test e.g. 13.0 against 6.7!!!!!!

Graeme
Did you call them? They normally resolve issues during the call after going over some basic questions.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fingers crossed for the Compeed. I share your pain, I am currently at the Steroid cream stage waiting for the last red circle to disappear. I feel like I'm running out of options but don't really want to give up as the system when working is invaluable.

By the way did anyone else get the email below? I applied, answered a few questions over the phone and was told that the category I am in is currently full so they would put me on a wait list. Is anyone else doing this?

View attachment 11562
I just checked and yes I did too, I don't think I can afford that amount of time of work though. It's a toss up between going on holiday with the wife or spending a mint lodging in Manchester on my own for a week. They should probably think about financial remuneration, it's a bit cheeky assuming we're that willing to cover the cost. We're already paying up front to test their product.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just checked and yes I did too, I don't think I can afford that amount of time of work though. It's a toss up between going on holiday with the wife or spending a mint lodging in Manchester on my own for a week. They should probably think about financial remuneration, it's a bit cheeky assuming we're that willing to cover the cost. We're already paying up front to test their product.
The interview is only for 1 hour. You can be wherever you like whilst filling in the weeks results for the worksheet, which you then take to the interview.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's not what they're asking. You do the survey via a worksheet at home, then a face to face interview if you are in one of the cities on one of the dates. If you aren't, they aren't suggesting that you do it.

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robert72 - No, I haven't been at home during the help line open hours, so I emailed them instead. If I don't have a reply by 12:00 Monday I'll 'phone, but on past experience the help desk staff aren't experts on the Libre system, they just pass technical queries on to other staff. I base this on my calls re. sensor number 4, which didn't work at all. They did replace it but I never heard what was wrong with it. For the first six weeks using the Libre I was a great fan, but my experience since then, and the posts here, mean I am now doubting whether the cost of around £1300 PA is actually worth it.

Graeme

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robert72 - No, I haven't been at home during the help line open hours, so I emailed them instead. If I don't have a reply by 12:00 Monday I'll 'phone, but on past experience the help desk staff aren't experts on the Libre system, they just pass technical queries on to other staff. I base this on my calls re. sensor number 4, which didn't work at all. They did replace it but I never heard what was wrong with it. For the first six weeks using the Libre I was a great fan, but my experience since then, and the posts here, mean I am now doubting whether the cost of around £1300 PA is actually worth it.

Graeme
I think they're also open Saturdays 8am-1pm

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robert72 - yes, I just tried that and was told to 'phone back Monday as they don't answer technical queries on a Saturday. I've now taken the faulty sensor off as it was getting worse, reading more than double the figure shown on blood test.

Something I've noticed which might or might not be relevant. When removing the sensors which have worked correctly there has been a small amount of dried blood underneath. Sensor number 4, which didn't work at all, bled profusely for several minutes on application and bled for a few seconds on removal after 24 hours. When I took off the latest faulty sensor (number 7) there was no trace of any blood at all. Before anyone asks, yes the sensor probe was in my skin to the full depth, I checked as the sensor came off. This raises the question of whether there is a certain amount of luck involved in applying each sensor. Skin is not uniform, it has a structure. Is it possible that some application sites are better than others (I'm talking here about the small area on the back of each arm, I haven't tried other sites as have been mentioned earlier on this thread. Has anyone?). Because of the "one shot" nature of the applicator it isn't possible to try a "faulty" sensor at a slightly different location. I'll try to ask Abbott about this when I talk to them on Monday.

Graeme

davidmit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If anyones on here with a freestyle libre and sensor (Ideally more than 1). I would very much like to buy it from you as I didnt see them quickly enough on Freestyles page. So if you dont want yours, please PM me, or mail me at [email protected] as I seem to be permanently waiting for the 'next diabetic improvement' tech, and seeing this out, but not able to get one (Freestyle arent taking new customers), is driving me nuts.

Thanks, Dave

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I will wait till it has been out for a bit and the DVLA accept the readings from it
unfortunately we have no choice but to wait for DVLA to approve it, but looking forward to NOT jabbing myself every 2 hours to get a reading,which is the current protocol.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I will wait till it has been out for a bit and the DVLA accept the readings from it
unfortunately we have to wait for DVLA to accept it. looking forward to NOT having to jab myself every 2 hours, which is there current protocol