Time difference between injection and food?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think I'm messing it up, I keep having hypos and I think Some are due to this ^

I had a 'snack' yesterday and checked my bloods about 1 hour 30 afterwards and it was 3.3. I didn't treat it for about 15 minutes and when I checked again they were 8.2? I've just been low then too and had more carbs than normal (maybe around 2 hours ago)

How long before should I be waiting? I was told to not leave it longer Han 10 minutes before or after When in hospital and haven't hesrd anything about it since

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Normally the recommendation is that rapid acting insulin takes about 15 minutes to start having an effect. Those of us with libres have seen it take longer than this dependent on injection site.

The difficulty comes with what you are eating and in what combinations. Carbs, protein and fat together, similar to pizza or curry with rice often result in a slower increase that standard rapid acting insulins struggle with. You may need to split the bolus insulin.

With your example snack, what did you eat and how did you deal with it? Similarly, when you've been seeing these issues, what were you eating and what were your insulin doses?

Reactions: 2 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems to be happening with most meals recently. Having lots of hypos and no idea why.
It's the only thing I csn think off.

I don't really understand the foods at the moment to be honest, waiting to go on the carb counting course.

It's only started happening the past week or two so wondering if my tolerance has changed but I've no idea.
Confuses me each time I try to understand it

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm lowish before a meal (below 4.5) I often inject after the meal. If I'm high before a meal i inject before, particularly if it involves a correction.

The carb counting course is really, really good. I went on one last year and learned loads despite being T1 for 35yrs.

Reactions: 4 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems to be happening with most meals recently. Having lots of hypos and no idea why.
It's the only thing I csn think off.

I don't really understand the foods at the moment to be honest, waiting to go on the carb counting course.

It's only started happening the past week or two so wondering if my tolerance has changed but I've no idea.
Confuses me each time I try to understand it
are you still in the honeymoon period?