Sex & hypo's

CourCour'x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, recently I've been having some trouble with my sex life, not going to get into detail but when things get heated and exciting, I hypo and it's a real mood killer! How do I avoid this happening? What do you guys do to prevent hypos during sex? Help!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Treat like any exercise, so maybe scoff a banana 1st. A bit awkward if it's unplanned I know. Alcohol can effect things as well so be careful.

Make sure your partner knows whats what and make a game of it., If I'm in doubt I swig a glass of orange juice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Richard, take a reduced bolus dose beforehand and test your bg levels, if necessary eat something to stop you from going low, appreciate its difficult to do if its spontaneous.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A quick snack before hand is my usual - have some sweets hidden in a handy place. That is definitely the worst time to feel a hypo coming on.

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh its such a pain in the neck, as sex is often spontanious and unplanned, it really kills the mood having to plan for it. But like the posts before have said treat it the same as you would exercise, you may feel awkward having to have something sugary before but it will be less awkward than having a hypo during. This is just another reason why i would prefer to be dating another type 1, as you would both understand exactly whats going on and both in the same situation.

Boldierob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carnt think of anything to dislike lol
Defo a mood killer tho only happened to me once :( but dating a t1 sounds a good idea lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can't help who ya go for.. They can't all be T1..

Speaking as a guy in the event of a hypo during these intimacies.. The first sign of a low is the obvious..
I just stop for a "break" & come back brighter..
These things happen. It's a very early warning as far as I'm concerned. So I'm still capable of "being the gentleman" & poring another drink/lowering the lighting/finding that Barry White CD/make a cup of tea while I treat the low.. Giggity!

Though with respect to the original poster. I feel female input on this matter might be a little more relivant....

Date another T1?? No thanks.. :D

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Barry White CD? That's officially cheating Jay. You might as well carry a dart gun full of Rohypnol. Giggity !

Reactions: 2 people

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have a little sugar snack handy or beforehand and hopefully that will prevent any hypos

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's be honest.. The activity in the thread title is when you can be forgiven for forgetting you are a diabetic...

Some of the best advice I got when courting as a young man in the 80's was from these Shefield lads... ;)

Reactions: 6 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, recently I've been having some trouble with my sex life, not going to get into detail but when things get heated and exciting, I hypo and it's a real mood killer! How do I avoid this happening? What do you guys do to prevent hypos during sex? Help!
banana

Shabbasama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the struggle to get healthier
may I suggest the edible underwear as that stuff is full of sugar oh and mini jelly babies on the body or the haribo hearts licking them off your partner is very good fun you can do that with all types of sweets just don't try it with dextrose tablets as you get a very dry mouth very quickly and then have to find something to erm drink!

Reactions: 9 people