Granola!!

chris.k

Every morning since being a T1 I have always had the same breakfast. Multi seed toast with 2 units of insulin job done. Bloods perfect. However just this once I fancied a change. I look in the cupboard and found my wife's Granola cereal. A quick glance at the label it read whole grain oats with almonds and raisins. All good I thought. Carbs were 35g per 45g serving. I though well it's a one off lets do it. The problem is 45g of granola in a bowl is about two mouthfuls!!! So I poured a real sized bowl and weighed it out so I could work out the insulin. My jaw dropped when it said 132g carbs!!!! Gutted. I poured it back in the pack and put the toaster on. After re reading the ingredients it read raw caster sugar, honey and glucose syrup! Today was a said day being a diabetic :(

Reactions: 10 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know your pain Chris... have done that with various mueslis and breakfast cereals :(

Stick to bacon and eggs for a treat breakfast ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every morning for breakfast, being, I thought, non diabetic, I had bran flakes with a seed sprinkle and chopped up fresh fruit on top and a mug of strong black coffee. Sometimes I didn't have time to to stop to eat or drink all day. I worked in a lab so no food or drink allowed. I really, really miss my breakfast as I can't really take any carbs without my glucose going way too high. I am type2 so not on insulin but really no longer like my breakfast, I; eat it because I have to. It is usually an omlette with cheese, onion, garlic and tomato. I very occasionally have a fried egg and bacon but not the same without fried bread, potoato cake or toast.

Great fun being diabetic, not!

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is usually an omlette with cheese, onion, garlic and tomato. I very occasionally have a fried egg and bacon but not the same without fried bread, potoato cake or toast.
Great fun being diabetic, not!

You're so right! It's like a curry without rice, or bolognaise without the spaghetti :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't think I've tried Granola before Chris but 132g of carbs :eek:

I have rough cut porridge oats 6 days out of seven, it just contains oats and nothing else. I make it using half milk half water and add some pumpkin, linseeds & sunflower seeds whilst it bubbles away, then I had a small handful of blueberries and once served a dollop of natural yogurt and mix it in, altogether it works out at around 50g of carbs and keeps me full to lunch and beyond.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Have cut out cereals completely but thought I'd try a gluten free granola with dried fruits, same pain, was 2 mouthfuls for 40g of carb.. Back on the omelettes for me then..!!

chris.k

I don't know if I could be bothered to make an omelette early in the morning (as easy as they are). I'm a very active person and I do a lot of sport so need some carbs go get me through the day. Think I'll stick to the toast for now.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
There ARE low carb granola recipes (Google is your friend):)
you may find one that you like more than "Hi carb Granola"

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2, i have for breakfast porridge made with water and black coffee.
Because cereals are loaded with various sugars I mix my own type of muesli.
Plain spart price porridge oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, mixed nuts, put in to a reusable plasric container and give a good shake. My husband has this with a spoon full of sultanas. He's not diabetic,

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Tesco morn flake oat and seed granola. It's 48.5/100g but I only have 25g, them 150g Greek yogurt and 30g blueberries. It's roughly 20g carbs x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2, i have for breakfast porridge made with water and black coffee.
Because cereals are loaded with various sugars I mix my own type of muesli.
Plain spart price porridge oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, mixed nuts, put in to a reusable plasric container and give a good shake. My husband has this with a spoon full of sultanas. He's not diabetic,
My wife does the same with a very similar mix of stuff

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I recently tried the Liz's granola (original) a 50g serving - 23.1 carbs, I have this with soya milk (light) I give 2.2 units (Humalog & on a pump) find this is fine, numbers are good, pretty active too

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Lizi's are one of the lower brands, surprisingly the Lidl fruit and nut granola in a green box is half the price of Lizi's and similar in carbs, 48g per 100g. I have 35g with creme fraiche and half a dozen blueberries for about 22g of carbs in total.

Ali

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im type 1 and eat anything i want, the only problem with eating something that sugary in the morning and having to cover it with insulin, is the inevitable sugar crash which will leave you hypo in an hour or two, just make sure you eat something about an hour and a half later to prevent the hypo

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every morning since being a T1 I have always had the same breakfast. Multi seed toast with 2 units of insulin job done. Bloods perfect. However just this once I fancied a change. I look in the cupboard and found my wife's Granola cereal. A quick glance at the label it read whole grain oats with almonds and raisins. All good I thought. Carbs were 35g per 45g serving. I though well it's a one off lets do it. The problem is 45g of granola in a bowl is about two mouthfuls!!! So I poured a real sized bowl and weighed it out so I could work out the insulin. My jaw dropped when it said 132g carbs!!!! Gutted. I poured it back in the pack and put the toaster on. After re reading the ingredients it read raw caster sugar, honey and glucose syrup! Today was a said day being a diabetic :(
we've all been there matey......................and it sucks, but at least we have the will power to do that, knowing what the consequences would be if we'd carried on.............well done