Best sugar substitute?

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
try cinnamon or other spices, no sugar but give different flavours. personally i havent tried them with anything but rice pudding or other sweet stuff

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been looking around for sometime for a good sugar substitute and found if you go into any supermarket and try and pick something up like Canderel it has the infamous aspartame in and even the commercial Stevia products are contaminated with other chemicals that i just would prefer not to put in my body, pure 100% Stevia looks like the way forward but does it taste ok, i've read some bad reports on the taste, what are other people using here?
honey

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honey? Just as bad as sugar from a diabetic point of view.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Honey? Just as bad as sugar from a diabetic point of view.
Hi, I agree. Many think because honey is 'natural' it is OK. It is mainly sugar with all the problems that brings. It's OK in small quantities but that's it.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What about for baking? With ground almonds and eggs. You need some bulk, I think .. I have a low-carb cookbook that uses Splenda. Has anyone used this with success?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
just have sugar and inject more insulin
This is an old post, but I was looking for info on sweeteners. However, I'm not sure if Dan is being funny, but this is a ridiculous piece of advice. I mean, yes, you could consume sugar and shoot up with more insulin, but the whole point of these forums is to help with good advice. Isn't it?
Anyway, I've been trying Xylitol the last week, and it's pretty good. Not appeared to have much effect on blood sugars and it's pretty sweet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the amount of sweetening is reduced for everything then the taste-buds perceive sweetness with more sensitivity - it takes a little while, but suddenly peas and beetroot taste sweet. I used to use sweeteners in drinks, but now don't need to.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
I'm think more for puddings, etc. Haven't had sweet beverages for decades, but making a cheesecake would need some sugar in the cheese. I did make a cream cheese pud this weekend and used xylitol and it was nice.
I do believe xylitol is one of the sweeteners that don't impact keto or blood sugars.