Metformin SR and unexplained weight loss

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was originally put onto metformin just over a year ago but it was the immediate release stuff and for the most part it was ok but then I eventually started having digestive problems and for great periods stopped taking it because I was home alone due to unemployment looking after my two daughters and couldn't afford to be rushing to the toilet constantly.

In November last year I eventually asked my doc to put me onto metformin SR because of the problems and so far I have been ok. My original dosage was 500mg 3x daily so my doc put me onto the same dosage of SR to be taken once with my evening meal.

Now here is where the question comes in, has anyone been put onto SR and started losing weight withought trying? I wouldn't say I eat badly, but since I started back to work I have been eating more regularly and in greater quantity and the amount of high carb and fatty foods has been creeping up, certainly I would have said my calorie intake is probably more than it should be but still the weight is slowly coming down.

Now you might think this is a good thing but what really has me worried, is that for as long as I have been on metformin (most likely just a coincidence) I have problems in the bedroom, in the sense I stand to attention but the little solder just doesn't do anything else no matter how I try but more recently I have developed an ache in the groin (which I am being referred for a scan to determine what the problem is) and perhaps naturally my concern is that it could very well be the Big C when combined with the weight loss.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
2nd issue first .... groin pain can be caused by any number of issues, even including a bad back ....... but we cannot diagnose that for obvious reasons as we're not doctors. Back to your GP for that one.

The weight loss ... are you doing additional exercise? The two "concerns" could be entirely unrelated.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't bet on C yet, although it's a fear for everyone.
ask dr but weight loss is probably the metformin and may need a dietitian to see what's going on, it's possible you need to come off it.

what's your BG like?, vascular/nerve could be the reason for a non orgasm with the little fella, also there are other drugs that can cause the same issues

if you cut carbs you need to replace the energy, most here use fat and about 20%e of protein for weight gain
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
2nd issue first .... groin pain can be caused by any number of issues, even including a bad back ....... but we cannot diagnose that for obvious reasons as we're not doctors. Back to your GP for that one.

The weight loss ... are you doing additional exercise? The two "concerns" could be entirely unrelated.

As I said, I am already being referred for an ultrasound of the groin by my GP so that is being investigated, I mentioned it in order to disclose my current condition to try and find others that may have been through a similar experience.

In terms of exercise, no I am not really, I was out of work from April to January this year. I'm was put on metformin SR in November and I started noticing the weight loss about that time, although I didn't really keep a close eye on my weight before that so it's possible the weight loss could have started then or could have been going on for a while. At the time I wasn't massive concerned because I was only eating maybe one meal in the evening largely because of having to deal with my kids during the day so my calorie intake was probably quite low.

However after going back to work the weight has continued to come off yet my intake has increased substantially without any appreciable increase in exercise.

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wouldn't bet on C yet, although it's a fear for everyone.
ask dr but weight loss is probably the metformin and may need a dietitian to see what's going on, it's possible you need to come off it.

what's your BG like?, vascular/nerve could be the reason for a non orgasm with the little fella, also there are other drugs that can cause the same issues

if you cut carbs you need to replace the energy, most here use fat and about 20%e of protein for weight gain
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Well that was my guess as I have also experienced a decrease in sensitivity there in addition to some slight tingling on my left foot (middle toes) and an altered sensation in my left leg when it comes to temperature ( things that should be cold feel almost warm) but this has all been mentioned to the GP on the multiple times I have been there. In fact the frustrating thing has been it was only on my last visit I was able to get them to understand my issues were not erectile so in addition to the ultrasound, I am also being referred to a urologist to investigate the sexual issues.

The weight loss itself was not the concern, it was really a combination of the weight loss, sexual problems and ache in the groin ( I say groin but in reality it is sort of located internally on the left side almost behind the scrotum) that has me thinking of worst case scenarios

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
As I said, I am already being referred for an ultrasound of the groin by my GP so that is being investigated, I mentioned it in order to disclose my current condition to try and find others that may have been through a similar experience.

Sorry, missed that :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could even be a little hernia in the groin..
the urologist will work out the little fella for you, there is probably a list of things it could be
it seems you have it in hand [scuse the pun]

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
could even be a little hernia in the groin..
the urologist will work out the little fella for you, there is probably a list of things it could be
it seems you have it in hand [scuse the pun]

My GP Gave me a proper groping on one of my recent visits and didn't think it was a hernia, and didnt think there was anything wrong with my jewels either. She even checked my prostate and confirmed it was normal sized as well.

The one thing I didn't mention in this post is since the ache appeared I have noticed the bundle of tubes/veins connected to my testicle on he left seems to be "thicker" then those on the right. My guess the scan and/or urologist will figure it out

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Where exactly is that ache?

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well it is difficult to pinpoint exactly, but it is is somewhere behind the left side of the scrotum/testicle internally, it sometimes almost feels like it is in the perineum area but internally. On my last visit when I tried to point it out, i mentioned the opening where the tubes disappear into the body (the inguinal canal apparently) it is not very sore, but the ache does vary in intensity and I haven't been able to determine exactly what if anything causes this or aggravates it. Certainly the area is not sore to the touch, but as the ache is very much internal, I am not sure it would be possible to get to the exact area externally.

Since my sexual problems appeared I read up on the mechanisms which make up ejaculation and speculated to myself that there could be some sort of blockage or swelling which is preventing my internals doing what they should in the region. Although I would never make a medical decision based solely on my own internet research or advice given by others, which is why I have been to my GP but the experience of others can sometimes provide consolation when worst case scenarios are being thought of.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
OK .... I have had some cysts EXACTLY there (LH side) in the past. That's why I asked.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin SR helps with weight loss - I read somewhere up to 5kgs easily and then tapers
If low carbing then this has an effect as well - could be one and the same

Check with your doctor if concerned
It all depends on whether you needed to lose weight in the first place

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just had the results of my first HBA1c since going onto modified release metformin and it was 52 which is the lowest it has ever been.

But I have also started splitting up my metformin as a bit of a test, and so far my daily readings have vastly improved.

So before I was taking 1500mg in the evening, but for my test I have been taking 1000mg twice a day.

Still have my scan and visit to the urologist to go though as things in that department have not improved

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also on 2,000 metformin...to be honest 52 is still high.
higher BG can cause problems with the little fella..are you doing low carb? no sugars no starches
the link I gave above is quite good

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bit of an update for anyone interested:

I have had my ultrasound scan and there was evidence of a small Varicocele on the left and small cysts but the GP seems to think this was all normal and nothing to be concerned about, there is no evidence of hernia so the only other thing they found was evidence of thickening on the right kidney which might have been caused by a past kidney infection.

So now i guess it is upto the urologist to get to the bottom of the problem but the good thing is they will have the scan during that consultation, so hopefully it is more likely i will get some answers at that visit.

Reactions: 2 people

Martin1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was originally put onto metformin just over a year ago but it was the immediate release stuff and for the most part it was ok but then I eventually started having digestive problems and for great periods stopped taking it because I was home alone due to unemployment looking after my two daughters and couldn't afford to be rushing to the toilet constantly.

In November last year I eventually asked my doc to put me onto metformin SR because of the problems and so far I have been ok. My original dosage was 500mg 3x daily so my doc put me onto the same dosage of SR to be taken once with my evening meal.

Now here is where the question comes in, has anyone been put onto SR and started losing weight withought trying? I wouldn't say I eat badly, but since I started back to work I have been eating more regularly and in greater quantity and the amount of high carb and fatty foods has been creeping up, certainly I would have said my calorie intake is probably more than it should be but still the weight is slowly coming down.

Now you might think this is a good thing but what really has me worried, is that for as long as I have been on metformin (most likely just a coincidence) I have problems in the bedroom, in the sense I stand to attention but the little solder just doesn't do anything else no matter how I try but more recently I have developed an ache in the groin (which I am being referred for a scan to determine what the problem is) and perhaps naturally my concern is that it could very well be the Big C when combined with the weight loss.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Yes, and it's actually due to poorly controlled diabetes. Not eating carefully enough. Lost 7 lbs in one week even though on Metformin SR. But eating like I don't have diabetes. Big big mistake.