Kelp noodles and other carb alternatives

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone ever tried these as an alternative to carbs? If so, where is a good place to buy them online?

I read somewhere that you could buy fake pasta made with mushrooms - anyone ever seen this?!

Any other tips to replace carbs as a component of a meal? About to try cauliflower mash for the first time with sausages, hubby is getting normal mash!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use celeriac in place of potatoes. they can be roasted, boiled, mashed, chipped, and they're lovely! Had mash tonight with lots of butter, black pepper and a big dollop of double cream, better than potato :)

And you can get low carb noodles, rice etc on Amazon and in Holland and Barrett.

How was you cauli mash? I've not tried it yet.

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But doesn't the mash taste just like mashed cauli?

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried them? Do they really taste/feel like the real thing?
Hi Rowan - I use the noodles often and although don't taste exactly the same they're a good, practically carb free alternative. The texture isn't quite the same but I don't really notice anymore. I bought them on Groupon for £30 for 20 packs so not too expensive. I haven't tried the rice yet.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I'll definitely give them a go, will have a look in Morrisons nxt time i go to town :)

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like cabbage as a bulker in place of carbs, especially Savoy cabbage sautéed in butter and a bit of sesame oil. Lovely with curry. I also like cauliflower cheese (made with just soft cheese and some grated cheddar, and a dash of Worcester sauce.

Reactions: 2 people

mangobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about aubergine/eggplant/brinjal? Delicious roasted, fried, steamed, eaten on it's own or used to make a sandwich with a range of fillings. It's low carb, tasty and filling.