carbs

RiffRaff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that have no manners,,
when reading food lables there are listing for carbs so wich one do you take notce of :-Carbohydrate 10.5g per 100g an then underneath of wich sugars 3.5g per 100g

im not going low carb just keeping a food diary for a while to figure stuff out then will be able to better control my intake an make some changes to my control of type 2

its all a bit of a mystery at the moment

Riff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Total carbs is 10.5g. 3.5 of it is sugar so there are 7g which are something else.

The 10.5 is the total of all carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You look at the total carb content. You can basically ignore the "of which sugars" as the sugars are included in the total carb amount. The sugars content will hit the bloodstream faster than the other carbs though, so if there is a high sugar content your BS will start to rise immediately. The more carb content, the higher that rise will become.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi riffraff
It is the total carbs you are interested in.:)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really depends on whether you're reading a UK or US food label: In the UK, the Carbohydrate figure is the "net carbs" (i.e. the ones that can be metabolised) and you need to count them all as they will all affect your BS

If it's a US label, they show total carbs including fibre (which isn't metabolised) so you need to take the fibre figure away from the carbs to get the net carbs that will affect you

However, in relation to "carbs or sugar", always count the carbs not just the sugar

RiffRaff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that have no manners,,
thanks guys one more thing i can tick off the list