Do you ever think how your life would have turned out if you didnt have type 1 diabetes

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Nothing in my life would've been different without diabetes. Apart from the injections, finger pricking and now being attached to my pump. Other than that I'm confident it would have been exactly the same. I'm glad as a previous poster said I was diagnosed when I was 2 so don't know it any different anyway. Some things might be a bit more tricky (for example getting a rally license from the MSA) and you have to jump through more hoops but I will get there eventually and diabetes doesn't stop me at all doing whatever I want:)

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Please don't feel this way, I know and many others know how hard it is, try and be strong in mind and body and don't let it consume you. It can be so difficult coping with type 1, (especially as a younger person) and you may feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel,but..................... I had my beautiful teenager at nearly 43 years old and I am truly blessed to have someone who lights up my life and makes me glad I'm alive and here to enjoy every moment. I wish that for you one day.

'What lies behind us and what lies before us, is nothing compared to what lies within us'

Take care RRB

Beautifully put RRB :)
Mike

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
That's very kind of you :)

Thanks and I like the compliment mate but I hardly deserve it despite the fact I'll help you any way I can :) I also spoke on behalf of not just myself but all the other GOOOOOOD people on this forum.

You need help? You have got it !!!

Nite

Mike :)

Reactions: 2 people

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
Nothing in my life would've been different without diabetes. Apart from the injections, finger pricking and now being attached to my pump. Other than that I'm confident it would have been exactly the same. I'm glad as a previous poster said I was diagnosed when I was 2 so don't know it any different anyway. Some things might be a bit more tricky (for example getting a rally license from the MSA) and you have to jump through more hoops but I will get there eventually and diabetes doesn't stop me at all doing whatever I want:)

Thinking about getting race b license was it much of a pain?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Without T1 diabetes to control I wouldn't have the motivation to cycle 30 km's to work and back in 50 km per hour winds and with the temperature at -11 C. Also I wouldn't go running ~12 km's on weekends with the temperature in the minus's and it snowing heavily :)

alan d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
its hard lets be honest about that the planning the effect on friends my marriage broke down as my ex couldnt understand the D even to this day she says that i am lying about my sight problems even tho shes seen me have operations consultant etc her and her partner still tease and bully me

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thinking about getting race b license was it much of a pain?

It still is to be perfectly honest. I only applied for a Non-Race National B to be able to navigate rallies. And thought as I'm not the one behind the wheel it should be easier than getting a license to race/rally myself. But the MSA told me it's the same rules for drivers as it is for co-drivers regarding diabetes control which is probably fair enough. It's stuck with my consultant at the moment as the MSA consultant requested some sort of report from my consultant and so far that didn't get sent as far as I know. To be honest the MSA medical dept was very helpful whenever I was in touch with them. I think if you want a race license to race yourself you will have to go to their consultant to get "checked out". Good luck! If you need any help just shout:)

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
It still is to be perfectly honest. I only applied for a Non-Race National B to be able to navigate rallies. And thought as I'm not the one behind the wheel it should be easier than getting a license to race/rally myself. But the MSA told me it's the same rules for drivers as it is for co-drivers regarding diabetes control which is probably fair enough. It's stuck with my consultant at the moment as the MSA consultant requested some sort of report from my consultant and so far that didn't get sent as far as I know. To be honest the MSA medical dept was very helpful whenever I was in touch with them. I think if you want a race license to race yourself you will have to go to their consultant to get "checked out". Good luck! If you need any help just shout:)

Sounds like it should be a giggle.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. That whole "Sliding doors" movie plot thing... Alternate timelines & the like.. I leave that sort of thinking to Stephen Hawkin..

I'll let Sid voice my train of thought on this..

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Sounds like it should be a giggle.

Good luck. Keep me posted how you're getting on. I'm waiting for my consultant to come back from holiday so she can finally send the stupid report. Hopefully the MSA will get going quickly then as I have my first rally on 7th March;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
its hard lets be honest about that the planning the effect on friends my marriage broke down as my ex couldnt understand the D even to this day she says that i am lying about my sight problems even tho shes seen me have operations consultant etc her and her partner still tease and bully me
Sheesh .... you have my sympathies mate

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
On this forum they prefer "it's easy let's pretend..." :bag:

... if you're referring to the forum, that's rather negative don't you think? Sit back and think about the time and effort (UNREWARDED mind you) that people put in to help others:rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... if you're referring to the forum, that's rather negative don't you think? Sit back and think about the time and effort (UNREWARDED mind you) that people put in to help others:rolleyes:

You got me wrong. I ment people on this forum prefer positive to negative.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I only respond to what I read but glad to see you've clarified it :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Ilya83, for those of us who were diagnosed early in our life, there isn't another way of living. Our point of view is mostly all we've known. The majority of its have got on with our lives, just with the assistance of a bit of insulin.

The negative view is that we would be dead now. We don't have anything to relate back to.

The most successful people don't dwell on what might have been, they get on with their lives.

Reactions: 5 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think my life would be much different if I didn't have type 1 diabetes, bar the testing, pumping planning etc.

I always see the fact that I wasn't diagnosed until I was 28 as a positive aspect, I had my childhood and student days where I could do and eat what I liked without having to worry about.

I now have a condition which requires management, thats it. It might be firefighting at times but we all get there.

At least we have insulin. If we lived before it's discovery it would be a different story.

livitridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's definitely made me less stupid! I don't drink anymore, I tend to look after my self. But that's not because I want to, it's because I'm terrified all the time and can never have piece of mind. I'm always scared of going hypo, it's gotten to the point where I just have to think 'hypo' and I go low! Despite taking no insulin. All I can hope for is a cure now!

Reactions: 2 people