Are you ever content with your results?

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think in 37 years of T1 I have ever thought to myself "Well done Flowerpot, you've done a great job of controlling your diabetes today/this week/month....." I constantly think "not good enough" but wonder what I'm actually aiming for. My pump clinic is great but I always leave with something to work on, my control is generally good although I do have too many hypos and my HbA1c is the lowest to date. Good control is such an ever moving target there is always something else to adjust or improve on. I wish I could stop being so critical of myself and see the bigger picture occasionally.

Do you ever give yourself a 'Well done' or are you always looking to improve?

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i do give myself a well done after i come out of my endo appts but it is the nature of the beast to want to do better because nobody else is going to do it for us. I am pretty obsessive and try to do it all but i pretty much always stay positive because i think of all the people who are worse off than me

btw- your 6.2 is a rockin' result --well done :)

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm happy with my control but I think it's good to set targets and have goals. If not, it's so easy to get into bad habits if you take your foot off the pedal.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We always strive to do better in life as that is human nature, but with a Hba1c of 6.2% your doing very well Flowerpot, cut yourself some slack and be proud of what you've achieved :)

Reactions: 9 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's difficult to be be pleased with results as diabetes is a permanent work in progress. It is good to hear that you can be happy with your control.

I will try and give myself a 'well done' if all goes well at my pump clinic next week and stop beating myself up over it, :)

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's difficult to be be pleased with results as diabetes is a permanent work in progress. It is good to hear that you can be happy with your control.

I will try and give myself a 'well done' if all goes well at my pump clinic next week and stop beating myself up over it, :)

It is work in progress your quite right Flowerpot, but sometimes we have to accept that we will never get it right all of the time and just be pleased when we do, so many factors can effect bg control as we well know.

Reactions: 7 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I come out of my appointments thinking how the heck did I get that result... I always get great Hba1c results according to my diabetes team, but my blood sugar results don't quite reflect that.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am not normally happy with my BS results, but my last one ,in November, was better than I expected because the previous 3 months had been very rough, a bad time, and at that time BS was all over the place, with many, many highs and then the lows :wideyed: :rolleyes: but always striving to try and do better :)

RRB :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say I don't give myself a 'well done' but then again I don't worry too much about meeting any targets...........[although I do try anyway...]

I just do the best I can and live my life............if I can life life with minimal complications that to me is good enough..........were all going to get older and deteriorate regardless of diabetes, so just trying to get to that stage like everyone else is my goal........:)

Reactions: 3 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, we certainly have to do a lot of striving as diabetics ;)

I find it impossible to forgive myself for causing dire complications through my actions in the past. I know my results are good now but I continue to give myself a hard time regardless. I need to find a better balance and give myself an occasional 'well done' as well as trying to improve.:)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I give myself a well done when I get a graph on the libre that spends the day like this:

DSC_0606_zpsnoe1jidz.jpg

Reactions: 10 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I give myself a pat on the back when I get a green day - that is all BG readings between 5 & 9. I know for a lot of people this would be an easy task, but with the honeymoon and everything else going on, for me this is still a challenge - I only get about 1 green day a fortnight! But hopefully with time I can get it to most days :)

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi Flowerpot Done 39 of T1 I was told when I joined the club "Diabetes does not Forgive" I was & still am a bad one!
So now I am told You Aim to High!, Your Control is to Tight! "BUT" touch wood nothing has Dropped Off "YET"
Regards INSULINMAN still on the pump

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far, yes.
I like to break it all up reading by reading. I find that works best for me, because the way i see it - if all the small pieces fit, then the big picture will take care of itself lol

I biggest emphasis is on my readings before bed, and when i wake up, which 1/3 of your day, which would be 1/3 of your life with diabetes, so i at least make sure i go to bed where i want to be, and hope i wake up where i want to be. The rest i take as it comes.

The trick is to be content AND strive for more. It never hurts to want to better yourself, but there is no reason why you can't give praise for the good you have done and aim higher next time.. its like constructive encouragement lol

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trick is to be content AND strive for more. It never hurts to want to better yourself, but there is no reason why you can't give praise for the good you have done and aim higher next time.. its like constructive encouragement lol

@Diamettic
This is also my philosophy, but I don't think I could have put it so well.
:)

I set myself achievable, and adjustable, targets - and accept that I'm both human and fallible, and that there are (often) things that are beyond my best ability to control, however much I'd prefer otherwise.

Robbity