Accu-chek test kits query?

elaine77

Hi all, I have been using the accu-chek Aviva for over a year now but it finally knackered a couple of weeks ago (battery) so my DSN gave me a new meter but she gave me the accu-chek mobile.

Ever since I've been using this new meter ALL of my readings have been much higher, at least 2mmol higher, but I've changed nothing else regarding diet or meal times?

I'm just wondering whether this is something to do with that particular meter or whether my old meter was probably broken long before it finally died and so was measuring low?

Either that or it's a massive coincidence and my insulin requirements have increase just at the same Time I changed meters?? I don't have a spare meter to double check my readings on either..

Really confused

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the mobile accurate ive got to be honest, main problem for me is getting error codes...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ask for a spare meter, you should always have 2 anyway in case one is lost or malfunctions.

I used the Mobile when it first came out and suspected it was giving higher readings, but the model has changed since so not sure if the same applies now, up until recent times I was using the Expert meter and that is very good and reliable.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@elaine77 it's possible that the dying battery may have contributed to the old meter's inaccuracy. I agree with @Engineer88, when I tried the "mobile" the raft of error codes were what put me off it!

elaine77

The old meter has been consistent since I began insulin back in October so if the battery was malfunctioning it's been doing it since October?

I might order another free accu-check Aviva and use it as a spare to double check..

The most worrying thing for me has been that there are times when I have felt a bit shaky and expected my blood to be around 3.5mmol and it has shown on this new meter as being over 5mmol so it gets a bit worrying at times.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The old meter has been consistent since I began insulin back in October so if the battery was malfunctioning it's been doing it since October?

This is a fault on the Aviva, when this was happening to my meter the customer careline said to take the batteries out and hold down the two arrow buttons to reset the meter, prior to that I was changing the battery's every week.

Try it and see if it works.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you actually tested with another meter straight after testing with the mobile. Just a thought as said it could be your old meter was faulty or like you have suggested it could be the mobile.
I too used the aviva and move to the mobile I prefer it as its all in one and fins in my pocket easily without having a case. But I agree the error codes can get frustration I would say I get about 10% error codes. Its more the having to prick your finger again that annoys me rather that the actual error

elaine77

I did that initially Noblehead and it worked for another day then died again but I've just done it again and it's actually working now but I don't know how long for.

I just tested before with one meter and then the other and there was a 1.5mmol difference. Il try again in the morning but I bet it will be the same problem no doubt.

I'm really worried though because I need to know that my meter is right, especially when I'm driving etc so now I don't know what to do...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@elaine77, very rarely will you get the same bg reading twice, even on the same meter.

The hospital clinics have loads of bg meters to give away as they get them from the meter reps, the money is in the test strips and that is why the manufacturers are happy to give them away, if you ring Accu-Chek they will send you out a free meter, just tell them you have type 1 diabetes and test multiple times a day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In the Type 2 forums there has been a lot of discussion recently about a particular batch of Codefree test strips that were throwing out one or two weird readings for several of us. Because of this I took readings with both my Codefree and Accu Chek Mobile for every test I did over a whole week. (more than 50 tests) My Accu Chek Mobile averages were 0.5mmol/l LOWER over the week. My conclusion was my Accu Chek reads low rather than high.

Wouldn't it be great if a totally accurate meter were available.

elaine77

I know they won't be the same consistently but if it's 1.5 or 2mmol or even more difference then that's pretty huge.. If the mobile says I'm 5.8mmol and the Aviva says I'm 3.5... Do I drive? I need to know what to do without having to deliberately run my bloods high just to be on the safe side.... Maybe I should speak to my DSN or something...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I know they won't be the same consistently but if it's 1.5 or 2mmol or even more difference then that's pretty huge.. If the mobile says I'm 5.8mmol and the Aviva says I'm 3.5... Do I drive? I need to know what to do without having to deliberately run my bloods high just to be on the safe side.... Maybe I should speak to my DSN or something...

Speaking with your DSN is a good idea, you could also do use the control solution that came with the meter to test its accuracy.

In your shoes I'd go with the Aviva meter if you believe that this meter was more accurate than your current meter, when you do speak with your DSN ask about the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert, it has a bolus wizard installed so it works out your insulin doses going by the information you put into the meter.

elaine77

I'm on mixed insulin so I don't bolus but I've heard it's a good meter so I might ask.

There actually wasn't any control sample with this meter at all...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm on mixed insulin so I don't bolus but I've heard it's a good meter so I might ask.

There actually wasn't any control sample with this meter at all...

It won't work out your dosage if your on mixed insulins, for size I'd ask for the Aviva Nano meter or the Contour Next USB.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Elaine,

I use the Mobile and was convinced it was reading high. I tested using two meters for a few days and the Mobile was always pretty much the same as the other meter. The only times it was high was when I was way out of range. For example, a 12 something would read as 15 something. I reached the conclusion that it is a great meter in normal BG range but extremely temperamental at high levels. It also seems very sensitive to any contaminants on your finger - you really do have to wash and dry hands properly before testing.

Like the others, I find the error codes problematic - especially when it claims not to have enough blood when it is drenched in blood. Annoyingly, these are faults introduced on the latest model.

If you go onto the Accuchek website and register your meter, you can order he control solution free of charge. Also, give Roche a ring and ask them to send you a spare meter - they sent me one with no problems.

Smidge

elaine77

Thanks Smidge, I have had error codes too, one said not enough blood but the others just say 'meter error' so I don't even know why there is an error, just that there is one! I might ask my DSN for a new Aviva I don't like this one :-(

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Thanks Smidge, I have had error codes too, one said not enough blood but the others just say 'meter error' so I don't even know why there is an error, just that there is one! I might ask my DSN for a new Aviva I don't like this one :-(
I have two Accu Check Aviva and can say they are never usually wrong. I can calibrate on off the other and diabetics should have a spare meter or some spare batteries.

elaine77

Just tested with both now again:

Aviva:- 4.2
Mobile:- 5

I've never had a reading below 5 yet on the mobile even though I used to get them quite often on the Aviva of I was late to have lunch etc etc

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been reports of error codes and high readings with the AC mobile, but I believe most of these problems are down to users. It is important to wash and dry your fingers thoroughly, however, that takes ages so I just clean mine with an isopropanol sterile wipe that dries much quicker.
Also hold the meter with the test area uppermost and just touch the blood drop against the area. You can see what is happening much easier this way. I can't remember the last time I had an error code.

mervyncp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have been using the Accu-Chek Mobile for about 18 months now and have often had concerns about its accuracy. I e-mailed AC and they told me about the importance of washing hands, drying them etc, but it didn't seem to change the variable results.
They sent me some control samples to carry out tests of the meter and it always comes out spot on accurate.
The other morning I felt my reading was high so I tested 4 times one after the other. I got readings of 10.4, 9.5, 10.2 & 10.2 in that order. These readings, although on the face of it very different I believe, still fall within the accuracy guidelines for personal meters.
I have no experience of any other types of meter, so don't know if this range is normal or not.