Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I understand why you would be (justifiably) angry about the idiot who nearly ran you over or killed the OAP. My point is that there are far more idiots in cars.

In glorious agreement .... BTW, how's the arm ?

Mike

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
In glorious agreement .... BTW, how's the arm ?

Mike
Still sore as I have now had 5 casts. This one fits so hopefully I can start healing now. Have painkillers from doc the size of a horse tranquilliser.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Still sore as I have now had 5 casts. This one fits so hopefully I can start healing now. Have painkillers from doc the size of a horse tranquilliser.

Sending a (((HUG)))) and fingers crossed X

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Been following you :)
Get well :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In Amsterdam a few years ago I was astounded to see almost all human life on bicycles (the rest on the trams). I saw a couple on bikes side by side having a snog and a pedaller eating off a plate with a fork. There were/are thousands of them and it seems Holland's street culture has been turned on its head. Presumably being a flat country helps. So I'd like to hear from someone who lives there.
I walk, drive and cycle, but not all at once.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
NO...build more out of the road safe cycle lanes. Next, pedestrians lol :)
Too many cars on the already overloaded roads now.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In Amsterdam a few years ago I was astounded to see almost all human life on bicycles (the rest on the trams). I saw a couple on bikes side by side having a snog and a pedaller eating off a plate with a fork. There were/are thousands of them and it seems Holland's street culture has been turned on its head. Presumably being a flat country helps. So I'd like to hear from someone who lives there.
I walk, drive and cycle, but not all at once.
I lived in Amsterdam for a year and, obviously, had a bike. It was great. you cycle everywhere, and bikes basically take priority over cars. The whole infrastructure is set up to cycle, which is amazing, although once you've parked it, finding it again can sometime be a challenge!

Reactions: 5 people

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Yes they should be insured, and carry some kind of licence plate like motorcyclists do. They should also have more dedicated cycle lanes at the side of the road to keep them off the main carriageway, safer for them safer for us .

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I think everyone that uses the roads, no matter what they are using or what age, they should have passed some sort of test. Plus everyone should have some sort of third party insurance at least. For cycles and mobility scooters, whether it be tacked onto car insurance or stand alone, they should be required to have the same obligation as motor transport.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think everyone that uses the roads, no matter what they are using or what age, they should have passed some sort of test. Plus everyone should have some sort of third party insurance at least. For cycles and mobility scooters, whether it be tacked onto car insurance or stand alone, they should be required to have the same obligation as motor transport.
That's logical, but if you do that without considerably upping cyclists' priorities in the traffic hierarchy, cycling will practically disappear, so if that's what we want, bring it on.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
That's logical, but if you do that without considerably upping cyclists' priorities in the traffic hierarchy, cycling will practically disappear, so if that's what we want, bring it on.

Why would cycling disappear? Did cars disappear when the driving test and compulsory insurance came into effect?
After a little while, it would just be the norm.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think all drivers should be re-examined periodically too, say every 7 years. Eyesight checks and medical questions asked too. The reason motor vehicles are subject to tax and insurance is because in the wrong hands they are killing machines. I have this theory that most drivers get their licence in a lucky lottery and do not give a f*ck when passing, all bad habits from there on.

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
So why can't it be targeted by way of licence SC? User pays .... I know I sure do and I support loafers who do nothing
I think we might be talking at cross purposes. Car tax in the UK is to do with the emissions your vehicle makes and therefore contributes to pollution. In other words, you have to pay for damaging the environment.
Money is allocated from the tax we all pay to infrastructure. We all pay because we all benefit. So arguably, if you are paying tax then you are contributing to the upkeep of roads, pavements etc so asking cyclist to contribute to emissions tax is illogical as there are no emissions from a cycle.
I was thinking about this thread and chatting about it with Mr Scandi. I think the problem is that there are so few incidents with cyclists that when we do see something or experience something we are really shocked. I nearly killed a cyclist who went straight down the slip road of the motorway and out in front of me without stopping. I was doing 70mph at the time but luckily there was nothing in the other lane so I was able to avoid him. This happened shortly after my test. It has stayed with me for 20 years. However, I had forgotten about the lunatic in a car who overtook on a blind bend. If I hadn't swerved onto the verge, he would have hit me head on and I probably wouldn't be alive to write this. As I write, more and more incidents are coming back to me.
The way I see it is that idiots use all kinds of transport but we can't lock them up until injury is caused and by then it's usually too late! :(

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love Amsterdam :cool:
Yes, we need more and higher priorities for vulnerable road users, if we are to encourage more cyclists and motorcyclists.
Currently, our roads are too dangerous for them.

I used to cycle everywhere in suburbia in the States, where the roads are *much* wider and there is actually *room* for cars, huge trucks *and* bicycles. I didn't ship my bicycle here, nor have I bought a new one. I miss it terribly but I'd be terrified to cycle around here. I think safety courses are an excellent idea. What's more, I've been nearly run over by many a mobility scooter. I've often wondered if the people who use them receive any type of instruction or safety guides when purchasing?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Cops were way different to here too.
Laid back and not wanting to be your enemy.
But ... drop litter or stagger around drunk in daylight hours and your nicked pretty fast.
You can be in the back of a van and whizzed down the nick for drug use or prostitution in the wrong areas before you know what's hit you.
Very good control of everything with good public support generally.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think we might be talking at cross purposes. Car tax in the UK is to do with the emissions your vehicle makes and therefore contributes to pollution. In other words, you have to pay for damaging the environment.
Money is allocated from the tax we all pay to infrastructure. We all pay because we all benefit. So arguably, if you are paying tax then you are contributing to the upkeep of roads, pavements etc so asking cyclist to contribute to emissions tax is illogical as there are no emissions from a cycle.
I was thinking about this thread and chatting about it with Mr Scandi. I think the problem is that there are so few incidents with cyclists that when we do see something or experience something we are really shocked. I nearly killed a cyclist who went straight down the slip road of the motorway and out in front of me without stopping. I was doing 70mph at the time but luckily there was nothing in the other lane so I was able to avoid him. This happened shortly after my test. It has stayed with me for 20 years. However, I had forgotten about the lunatic in a car who overtook on a blind bend. If I hadn't swerved onto the verge, he would have hit me head on and I probably wouldn't be alive to write this. As I write, more and more incidents are coming back to me.
The way I see it is that idiots use all kinds of transport but we can't lock them up until injury is caused and by then it's usually too late! :(
Everybody pays tax, even kids on their toys and sweeties via VAT at a shocking 20%. Most roads are maintained by local authorities via Council Tax and very little of Vehicle excise duty ends up on the environment etc as it goes straight to HM Treasury to do what with they like like wars, creating poverty and ruing stuff in general. The whole I pay car tax is a fraud and delusion.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Everybody pays tax, even kids on their toys and sweeties via VAT at a shocking 20%. Most roads are maintained by local authorities via Council Tax and very little of Vehicle excise duty ends up on the environment etc as it goes straight to HM Treasury to do what with they like like wars, creating poverty and ruing stuff in general. The whole I pay car tax is a fraud and delusion.
:cool:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I object to are cyclists using designated public footpaths in our rural area, especially a narrow path alongside our river where we and many others walk our dogs. The bikes don't seem to be fitted with bells, or if they are they aren't used. They come up silently behind us and shout out "excuse me" or some such thing. This un-nerves the dog, and I have no idea they are there until I hear them shout, when it is too late to just stand aside. Many a time I have had to use all my balancing facilities to avoid falling in the river. Do they stop to allow you to stand aside? Do they heck. Same with joggers. These aren't isolated incidents, they happen all the time. Very annoying.

Reactions: 6 people