Metformin - Timing

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys,

Still trying to get to grips with all the changes and dietary needs but I'm feeling a bit more positive about everything, at least today.

My doctor told me to start taking the metformin over the period of 1 month as 1 pill a day in the first week, 2 pills in the 2nd week, 3 in the 3rd culminating in 4 pills a day on the 4th week.

I'm currently on my 3rd week, the doctor also told me to eat 3 times a day and no snacking in-between, now the medication states take with or just after food, so logically that's 1 after breakfast 1 after lunch and 1 after dinner.

My question is:

If I have my last pill after dinner about 6pm it's going to be about 14 hours until I eat breakfast again, is this long period of time normal or should the meds be split equally over a 24 hour period ?

Apologies if my question seems rudimentary, please don't thump me with the stupid stick.

Daks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, not easy is it. I think you will find the timings aren't that critical; a lot depends on whether you suffer stomach upset if you shift the pill taking a bit. Have a look at the leaflet and if necessary talk to the pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya Daks,

I take 4 Metformin SR a day. I take two with breakfast (around 8:30 a.m.) and two with dinner around 6 p.m. Aside from my initial stomach upset (I also have IBS), it seems to work for me. The timing doesn't seem to matter for me, at least. I don't think you are expected to space them out evenly over 24 hours, as of course we're asleep for around 1/3 of that time and wouldn't be eating. :) My last HbA1C was half the original, so like I said, it must be working (along with low-carbing).

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Daks,

I take 4 Metformin SR a day. I take two with breakfast (around 8:30 a.m.) and two with dinner around 6 p.m. Aside from my initial stomach upset (I also have IBS), it seems to work for me. The timing doesn't seem to matter for me, at least. I don't think you are expected to space them out evenly over 24 hours, as of course we're asleep for around 1/3 of that time and wouldn't be eating. :) My last HbA1C was half the original, so like I said, it must be working (along with low-carbing).

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just take your fourth pill with your evening meal - it's not writ in stone how/when you take them, and you won't come to any harm.

It's usually best to take metformin with food as it helps avoid any problems with your tum and/or guts. But you could try taking it at bed time and see if it causes any upsets - if not and it makes your happier to spread your dose wider, I don't see why you couldn't do it that way either. I don't know if your doctor has a valid reason for saying just three meals a day, but you could maybe eat slightly smaller ones and have a little supper with a bedtimet dose of metformin - I've even seen advice to have "midnight" snacks if you wake during the night!

If you have a meter and are testing, then maybe look for any patterns or higher/lower readings, and you could then possibly adjust your 4th metformin to accommodate these. (I split my 2xSR metformin dose from both at night to one morning and one evening, as this was actually a better balance for me. I just let doctor or pharmacist know.)

Robbity

Geoff-O

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diabetes I used to have just 2 meals, breakfast & dinner. Then, as the medication states to take with food I started having lunch just to go with the tablets. However, no amount of metformin can counteract that extra meal. It was easier when the max dose was 3000 mg a day, but they lowered that to 2000 mg :-( (not sure if they took into account that a 500mg Metformin tablet actually only contains 390mg of Metformin) I think you just have to try the medication at different times and see what happens. If you tend to eat your main meal in the evening, perhaps take one with breakfast & 2 with the evening meal. That may see you through the night nicely. Or perhaps one with dinner & one at bedtime. I found it I could take Metformin quite happily without food.

YOU are in charge. Experiment. It's your body. Take frequent meter readings. Do you get early morning waking spikes Daks? 1 tablet before bed can reduce those a bit. Metformin is a great drug - but it isn't a miracle solution. And if you are not on any other diabetes medication you won't get a hypo. Exercise is more effective in reducing BS spikes/peaks than Metformin. But Metformin is great for lowering general background levels. Even just running up & down the stairs (repeatedly) a few times a day can make all the difference. It's a combination of drugs/exercise/ & a low carb diet that will work.

There is an opinion that grazing throughout the day is better than having 3 main meals. For me, that didn't work.

And of course there are various reports that Metformin can prevent cancer, improve heart efficiency and delay dementia. They may be all tosh, but wouldn't be great if those of us who are T2 lived longer than ordinary non-diabetic mortals? :D Certainly our diets are a whole lot healthier!

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like everyone else seems to be saying I don't think it matters that much , I was fine on the ordinary ones till they added a 4th and then I got the upset stomachs, queasiness etc, they have changed me to the Metformin SR twice a day for the moment , I take one about 8.30 am and one about 6 -7 pm. I only eat twice a day so it's quite handy , but have also taken one then not eaten and no ill-effects and no radical changes in BS readings either :)

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
If I understand the way metformin works correctly, it slows down your body's absorbsion of glucose (carbs particulalry) into your bloodstream hence the direction to take it with or after food.

If you take it on an empty stomach it can play havoc with your bowels!

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
YOU are in charge. Experiment. It's your body. Take frequent meter readings. Do you get early morning waking spikes Daks?

I haven't yet been issued with a meter, but think I will purchase 1 regardless of doc saying it isn't necessary yet.

Thank you all for your time and advice, I value it, sincerely.

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daks my DN told me it wasn't necessary as well ( when she handed me the carb-laden diet sheet) then asked me to come back with 5 random readings over 3 days at my next appointment ! :banghead: Getting a meter is a MUST !

Reactions: 6 people