I feel like a nuisance, but what can I actually eat at a party/buffet?

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with Gestational Diabetes. I've made quite a lot of adjustments to what I eat, and it's still not easy, but I'm getting there. My blood sugar went down a little through dietary changes, but my Consultant also decided to prescribe me Metformin, and I'm taking 500mg twice per day - I'll be going back to the hospital to see what they have to say after taking this for 2 weeks, but again, my blood sugars have gone down a little and are closer to what they're looking for.

Anyway, I'm finishing up at work soon, and have just got wind of my colleagues organising me a 'baby shower' - beats me what it is, but it seems to be some kind of party where I get baby gifts and there's food on offer as a means of wishing me well. I'm not really good at being the centre of attention anyway, but I now have the implications of the GD to contend with too. They were planning to order a buffet from a local cafe in order to cater for everyone attending, including me. However, all I can think of is that this (from past experience) is most likely to consist of cakes, biscuits, wraps, sandwiches, rolls - i.e. all of the things I either shouldn't be having, or should only be having in moderation. I'm also vegetarian, so even if they included things like ham, fish and chicken, I wouldn't eat that either.

I'm now worried about looking ungrateful by turning up to this do they're organising and not being able to eat anything. Or turning up, eating stuff just to be polite and having my blood sugars go through the roof, which , again, I'd rather avoid. One of the organisers looked exasperated when I tried to explain that it wasn't just sugar I had to avoid, but too much carbs, and in particular ones from the wrong sources. She asked "so what CAN you eat"? And I didn't know what to say, or suggest, because buffet food is much different from a lunch or dinner that you make for yourself. All I could think to say was simple salad items (i.e. lettuce, cucumber, tomato, with limited pasta salad and cous cous, etc etc), multigrain crackers and cheese, but again, that's not very appetising or accommodating for everyone else! I'm really stuck here, and feel like I'm being really awkward, but I know I have to put myself and my baby first. I don't know enough yet to be able to rhyme off a list of finger food that I'd be able to eat, and if truth be told, I'm actually hoping now that I have to go off work early so that I don't need to attend and find myself in this position, as I have enough stress already!

If anyone has any suggestions about things I can safely eat so that I don't have to bring my own lunch to a buffet that's supposed to be for me, I'd be really grateful for your help.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
In the last couple of years, since my husband became diabetic, I have provided the following as our contribution to buffets:
bowls of cherry tomatoes, cubed pieces of cheese, walnuts, brazil nuts, olives, pieces of red and yellow pepper. Combinations of most of these can be made to look party-like by being put on cocktail sticks.
Funnily enough, these items seem to disappear faster than the crisps and sausage rolls! Perhaps people do like something fresh and healthy, given the opportunity.
If your colleagues are difficult about your dietary needs, I suggest you ask them if they would expect you to drink alcohol or smoke, because they were giving you a party. I would guess not, so for exactly the same reasons, they shouldn't be expecting you to eat foods, which will (may?) harm you and your baby. Anyone who expects you to eat inappropriate food, especially during pregnancy, is, in my view, being thoughtless and childish.
Is there a slightly more mature person in your work place, who is possibly a parent themselves, who could bring along some special buffet items for you. Try and find the right person for a quiet word.
Sally

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Sliced avocados.

Pots of berries with double cream available.

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all of you for your replies :) Since I posted this thread, I'm now 35 weeks pregnant, and the Consultant increased my metformin to 1000mg in the morning and the evening. At first I felt like a failure, or that I wasn't doing well enough in cutting back. As this thread shows, I'm also still trying to puzzle out what I can and can't safely have. I don't feel that I have the luxury of trying out certain carby foods to see if they cause my blood sugar to spike or not, because it could harm my baby, and if I can't show an element of blood sugar control by my next appointment (on Monday 16th Feb), the next step is going on insulin, which I'd prefer to avoid if I can - although I know I might not have a choice, if my body just can't deal with this.

sanguine, I'm just getting to know what are no-no fruits and possible fruits for me to have, but it's been a real mind bender, changing the focus away from avoiding higher fat and excessive dairy products, to recognising that they are not the enemy and letting them into most of my meals. I hadn't considered looking at adding double cream to anything, as previously I didn't think I could afford the calories, but I'm going to try your suggestion for a pudding tomorrow night! I'm amazed at how much weight I've lost without even trying by cutting the carbs and allowing more fat into my diet.

Thanks again to you all. Coming on here has made a really distressing time less scary and has really helped me build a bit of knowledge and understanding to help me get through this. I've never had limits before, and it's scary to be limited and feel that the health of a little person is entirely in your hands. The baby shower is on Friday, but I agree with what you say - I won't allow myself to be pressured into having anything from the buffet that I know will be a bad move. Your responses have made me feel a bit more confident in attending this event, and thanks so much for your encouragement. Even if it's a minefield of sandwiches, wraps, crisps and cakes, I'll just head more for the salad, cheese and peanuts and fill up on those. :)

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks to all of you for your replies :) Since I posted this thread, I'm now 35 weeks pregnant, and the Consultant increased my metformin to 1000mg in the morning and the evening. At first I felt like a failure, or that I wasn't doing well enough in cutting back. As this thread shows, I'm also still trying to puzzle out what I can and can't safely have. I don't feel that I have the luxury of trying out certain carby foods to see if they cause my blood sugar to spike or not, because it could harm my baby, and if I can't show an element of blood sugar control by my next appointment (on Monday 16th Feb), the next step is going on insulin, which I'd prefer to avoid if I can - although I know I might not have a choice, if my body just can't deal with this.

sanguine, I'm just getting to know what are no-no fruits and possible fruits for me to have, but it's been a real mind bender, changing the focus away from avoiding higher fat and excessive dairy products, to recognising that they are not the enemy and letting them into most of my meals. I hadn't considered looking at adding double cream to anything, as previously I didn't think I could afford the calories, but I'm going to try your suggestion for a pudding tomorrow night! I'm amazed at how much weight I've lost without even trying by cutting the carbs and allowing more fat into my diet.

Thanks again to you all. Coming on here has made a really distressing time less scary and has really helped me build a bit of knowledge and understanding to help me get through this. I've never had limits before, and it's scary to be limited and feel that the health of a little person is entirely in your hands. The baby shower is on Friday, but I agree with what you say - I won't allow myself to be pressured into having anything from the buffet that I know will be a bad move. Your responses have made me feel a bit more confident in attending this event, and thanks so much for your encouragement. Even if it's a minefield of sandwiches, wraps, crisps and cakes, I'll just head more for the salad, cheese and peanuts and fill up on those. :)
Hi just a line ...have you read jenny ruhl diet 101 i think you will find it very helpful.

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this forum at a very difficult and worrying time for me. Just wanted to say that my little boy was safely induced at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes. In the end, he was a relatively small baby, despite concerns raised that he may be big and this may present health concerns for him and me. I am no longer diabetic, and my son is showing no signs of concern either. I'm relieved to have got through this challenge and remained healthy for the sake of myself and my son - but I couldn't have done that without the information on this forum and links shared, and for that I remain extremely grateful. To all mums newly diagnosed with GD, its an emotional rollercoaster, but trust in the health professionals, yourself and this forum and you will get through it.

Take care all, and thanks again x

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
@cheeseandbeanstoastie

Thank you for letting us all know about the safe arrival of your little baby boy .

Hope you are enjoying him and adapting to being a new mummy .

Pop back and do let us know how things are with you 'both' . x