Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm strugglying and hunrgy :(
O dear Scottie .. You should not be hungry or struggling .. Ok yes you can be struggling for a while .. A good stop gap while you are looking for food is a good old fashioned fry up ! No lots of bread .. But I have a fryed slice with my veggie version of this meal ... So for me it's .. Veggie sausage x2 .. Fryed mushrooms & 3 fryed tomatoes .. 2 eggs and a fryed mix of cabbage (white and green) pepper and collieflower .. .. Home fryed chips I can have 3oz of them ,, cut thin and it looks more ... I cook in vegetable oil but expect you can replace my veggie thigs with meat based items ..
If you have your meter .. Test befor and 2 hrs after eating .. Let us know how your getting on.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
have a look on the what have you eaten thread on the low carb forum- loads of great food ideas on it. Tonight I'm having oven baked fish with butter and lemon, green veg , beetroot and a spoonful of cauli cheese mash off Mr E's shepherd's pie.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry bluetit our posts crossed ....
Scottie, you could have collieflower chease with a lovely fresh salad .. If you dont feel like cooking the just break up the colliflower and a brockley head .. Sprinkle with olive oil and .. Cover with chease and place in a hot oven untill piping hot ..
Or .. Veggie burgers covered in chease and sliced into lettice leaves .. With a crisp fresh salad ...watch out for beetroot .. It's a root veg and can raise sugars
Coleslaw with fresh white and red cabbage .. Full fat Mayo .. Onion and carrot with a little whole grain mustard .. Or leave out the mustard and add a few walnuts .. Is good with these two dishes ..

Other meals .. Veggie sausage in onion gravey with quinoa.. Collieflower mash and kale

Sorry they are all veggie.. But sure you can swap things for meat eating

Try drinking some water to help flush out your extra sugars .. Don't drink to much at once or it will make you feel unwell .. A walk round the block or the living room a few times can all help .. You will be feeling rubbish with thoes high sugar readings ..

For breakfast did you have your chease on half a slice of toast .. Lunch chedders with Coleslaw, grated cheese and a few almonds to finish off the meal

Last edited by a moderator:

wizardo

You obviously have not had fage full fat greek yogurt ....its the best!!!!

I delayed responding to this post. I went and bought some Fage last night. It's ok but it's not a patch on Manor Farm Smooth and Creamy. Do please source this product and try it. It's made at Thrussington in Leicestershire. I believe Waitrose may be stocking it. If so, could be under their own label. Once you have tried Maor Farm you'll be hooked it's so rich. It's one of the things that I really look forward to each day.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I delayed responding to this post. I went and bought some Fage last night. It's ok but it's not a patch on Manor Farm Smooth and Creamy. Do please source this product and try it. It's made at Thrussington in Leicestershire. I believe Waitrose may be stocking it. If so, could be under their own label. Once you have tried Maor Farm you'll be hooked it's so rich. It's one of the things that I really look forward to each day.
Thanks i'll try some an let u know ::))

scottie1

have a look on the what have you eaten thread on the low carb forum- loads of great food ideas on it. Tonight I'm having oven baked fish with butter and lemon, green veg , beetroot and a spoonful of cauli cheese mash off Mr E's shepherd's pie.

Can't find this thread, will keep looking. Thank you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a fry up sounds just the thing.

You can eat any meat or fish you want. Just add vegetables or salads, then for dessert a few berries with double cream. What vegetables have you got?

Breakfast - scrambled egg with cheese or a cheese omelette, or boiled eggs.. Or a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries added.
Lunch - tuna or salmon or eggs with salad including tomatoes and cheese, a pickled onion perhaps, and loads of real mayonnaise. Cold meats maybe.
Tea - any meat or fish with vegetables.

scottie1

Yes, a fry up sounds just the thing.

You can eat any meat or fish you want. Just add vegetables or salads, then for dessert a few berries with double cream. What vegetables have you got?

Breakfast - scrambled egg with cheese or a cheese omelette, or boiled eggs.. Or a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries added.
Lunch - tuna or salmon or eggs with salad including tomatoes and cheese, a pickled onion perhaps, and loads of real mayonnaise. Cold meats maybe.
Tea - any meat or fish with vegetables.

Thanks Bluetit

I think I'm having problems as I don't eat any veg, don't like it but think I am going to have to eat it.

I am just so used to having potatoes, bread and pasta. It's hard to replace them. I have been doing okay, having omelettes and cheese on toast which I never had before. I can make bolognese, will it be okay having a small amount of pasta. What about jacket potatos?

I can have salmon, tuna, ham or smoked sausages with crisp breads for lunch,, eggs for breakfast. Might try kippers or smoked haddock. Can add cheese and onion to omelettes, maybe mushrooms. Steak or chicken for tea with salad and mayo or a fry up. Snacks I could have berries.

Will go back to reading the thread, which I have now found.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a book that is well worth reading: the high fat diet by zana morris & helen foster. Its only £3.85 on Amazon.

It really gives good info on fats/protein and recipes and meal plans and exercise etc.

It really is well worth keeping it on your coffee table...

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jacket spuds are a no , I'd say. Certainly at this stage of your diet.
You might be able to manage a small amount of wholemeal pasta- by that I mean a few tbsps. Tbh you'd be far better just having it on a bed of lettuce or courgett strips sauted in garlicy butter with loads of cheese on top.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I make homemade lasagne with courgettes....(zucchini). We have a spiraliser that is well used formaking meals look more.

The zucchini lasagne can be frozen and you wouldn't know its not pasta if it was served in a restaurant. It's truly yummy.

Its a case of trying things out to be honest. I've spent 50 years thinking I hate salmon ad courgette... But actually since preparing it in different ways I love it.

scottie1

There is a book that is well worth reading: the high fat diet by zana morris & helen foster. Its only £3.85 on Amazon.

It really gives good info on fats/protein and recipes and meal plans and exercise etc.

It really is well worth keeping it on your coffee table...

Thanks Donnelly, will buy that book. Still awaiting the other book I ordered.

It may be easier when I have something to refer to instead of asking stupid questions on here.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No question is stupid. Just give things a try. It's only habit that makes us think of carbs with every meal- and it's actually pretty boring when you realise what else is out there.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jacket potatoes are not good .. You really should eat more veg .. They are good for vitamins and staying healthy .. Watercress is a great energy booster .. Lettice is good to help sleeping problems .. Mushrooms are great for adding to gravy and stews.. Or eaten raw in mixed salads .. Making your own coleslaw is far better and fresher than the pre packed ones. Veg are also best for making you feel better .. On sluggish days a fresh clean bowl of raw veg cannot be beaten !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, good. You now have a plan. Veggies taste so much better with a lovely big knob of butter on them.

As @cold ethyl said, avoid jacket potatoes and pasta for now. You need to get those very high levels down, and if you eat these things you won't get them down. Change your granary bread for a low carb variety, as people suggested before. Hovis wholemeal seed sensations is lovely (but only ONE slice a day) or Burgen. Both are available in supermarkets.

Tinned soup is not wise at all. Can you make your own? Then you can decide what goes in it. But no bread with it.

Reactions: 4 people

scottie1

Jacket spuds are a no , I'd say. Certainly at this stage of your diet.
You might be able to manage a small amount of wholemeal pasta- by that I mean a few tbsps. Tbh you'd be far better just having it on a bed of lettuce or courgett strips sauted in garlicy butter with loads of cheese on top.

It doesn't seem quite right having a hot dish on lettuce, but willing to give it a go.

Can I ask how people track their carbs, do you just add them up as you go along or make a list prior to eating?

scottie1

Yes, good. You now have a plan. Veggies taste so much better with a lovely big knob of butter on them.

As @cold ethyl said, avoid jacket potatoes and pasta for now. You need to get those very high levels down, and if you eat these things you won't get them down. Change your granary bread for a low carb variety, as people suggested before. Hovis wholemeal seed sensations is lovely (but only ONE slice a day) or Burgen. Both are available in supermarkets.

Tinned soup is not wise at all. Can you make your own? Then you can decide what goes in it. But no bread with it.

Apologies about the bread.