Job applications and diabetes

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does everyone put on job applications when they ask you if you have a disability that may require reasonable adjustment?

Type 1 diabetes MAY require adjustment, but I personally wouldn't say it is a disability, especially as I feel I'm generally under control.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I always put no, but I'm fit and well apart from diabetes so don't need any adjustments.

Suppose it depends if diabetes has effected you in any way or you have other medical conditions as to how you answer the question.

Reactions: 4 people

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think i agree with you. Did my first job app since diagnosis so very relevant to me. Read this recent thread and post back http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-and-job-applications.71828/
I think it is a disability sometimes if you have a bad hypo while working but usually not. I think it depends how good your control is really. I think official diabetes uk (not sure if it's the .co one) advice is to play it by ear. I've not come across an app specifically mentioning diabetes so don't know how common it is?

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I,like noblehead,have always said no to that question.I do not consider myself disabled,but at interview I have told them that I was diabetic.i am now retired, but as far as I'm aware it never stopped me getting a job and I have been diabetic all my working life.

Reactions: 5 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as others, no on the application, and then mention later on, if successful.........

in my current position I have never needed to mention it, at least until I needed time off for appointments.......

Reactions: 3 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Its a shame that people feel that they cannot mention it upfront and be open about the condition but there is a feeling that some employers are prejudice towards what some see as a disability, those that see it as an issue have misguided preconceptions and need correcting, most employers are fairly understanding, fortunately by law they have to be, i'm sure the worry of discrimination is mostly in our heads, most people have something up with them nowadays. I have kept it to myself in a couple of jobs as it is my business and it is up to me to deal with it. Really it shouldn't influence an employers decision as diabetes doesn't mean you wouldn't be the best person for the job, depends on how many days off a year you need, but type 1s are usually ruled out of safety critical work, narrowing down the job market a little. If society could progress to having a 4 day working week that would give us a day in the week for doc and hosp appointments and make work less of a big deal. If i were to apply for a job now i would put it on my CV and see the reaction because it is a big part of who you are. Who knows, it may get you the job as the employer maybe diabetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The reason I don't mention it up front is because as far as I am concerned, it is not a disability, it is a medical condition, and in this respect is similar to someone with Coeliac's disease or Asthma. I do not suffer from anything that causes me to be physically or mentally unable to do my job (and never have) and thus I am therefore not disabled.

I spend three or four nights a week in the gym, play cricket at weekends and am incredibly active, so how can I state that I am "suffering a disability that requires reasonable adjustment"? If you have kids, you suffer more of a disability than I do that requires reasonable adjustment!

I'm not sure why I would need to state anything about it in an application form or interview either. It's not like the twice yearly diabetic clinic appointments are taking a lot of time off work for medical reasons!

I have thought long and hard about including it as a disability as it would allow me to fill an employer's disability quota without them actually having to do anything, however I think this is not the purpose of the disability legislation. I'm not remotely bothered about discrimination!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I always put no and never mention it at interviews. It's hard enough to find a job these days without something a employer could discriminate against. I'm not disabled in any way!

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would depend on the job. If it required driving for example, it should be declared. If it requires lone working, it should be a consideration also. If an employer specifically asks about medical conditions I would tell them. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. It's dependant on control and job specification.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you want to a job, or a change of job, you are hoping the prospective employer will "like you". At the point of reading your application, what is written is all they have to go on.

It hasn't been relevant to me since diagnosis, but I would be unlikely to mention that I dislike being cold, or that if I don't get enough sleep I can be grumpy and frankly evil. I'm not going to give the guy/gal something different that he may not understand, and given a choice would rather not learn about. That could be the very reason they choose what is otherwise a very equal applicant over you. Employers want people they like, will fit in, with the minimum of fuss and who will turn up to do the job as well as they can. They'll naturally be nervous about taking on someone who is immediately highlighting a potential frailty. Of course, they should see things in that way, but try looking at it from their viewpoint.

Everyone has to gauge for themselves, and I absolutely agree if the job involves working alone, in any sort of hazardous environment or with dangerous or vulnerable people, then a different approach may be required. Telling a frank lie should also be avoided at all costs, as once discovered (and they usually are), it doesn't pave the way for a long, happy and fruitful future.

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you do not mention you are Diabetic and something happens in the work place, your employer can be found to be negligent, insurance will be revoked and the company would then have no other choice but to come to you personally to seek remedy and possibly damages. Also not informing your employer you suffer from diabetes is lying and tantamount to Gross Misconduct.
So that dream job you studied for and worked hard in getting would flitter away because you were not truthful on your application, I don't need to explain the ramifications of trying to get another job with Sacked for Gross Misconduct on your employment record and unfortunately because of social media even if you miss it off your CV, someone will find out about it.

Weigh up the Pro's and Con's before omitting your illness, make an informed decision rather than one based on shame.
Diabetics are not disabled! We have a lifetime illness, not a disability.

Also remember we are lied to by politicians, by councils, and by the medical profession and we do not like it, so why would you do the same, employers want honest employees, you are a representative for their company and in turn their livelihood.
You would not give your bank details to a fraudster so why employ a liar

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do not mention you are Diabetic and something happens in the work place, your employer can be found to be negligent, insurance will be revoked and the company would then have no other choice but to come to you personally to seek remedy and possibly damages. Also not informing your employer you suffer from diabetes is lying and tantamount to Gross Misconduct.
So that dream job you studied for and worked hard in getting would flitter away because you were not truthful on your application, I don't need to explain the ramifications of trying to get another job with Sacked for Gross Misconduct on your employment record and unfortunately because of social media even if you miss it off your CV, someone will find out about it.

Weigh up the Pro's and Con's before omitting your illness, make an informed decision rather than one based on shame.
Diabetics are not disabled! We have a lifetime illness, not a disability.

Also remember we are lied to by politicians, by councils, and by the medical profession and we do not like it, so why would you do the same, employers want honest employees, you are a representative for their company and in turn their livelihood.
You would not give your bank details to a fraudster so why employ a liar

As others have said, a truthful declaration is essential, but I think timing is important here. I agree you must ensure you are appropriately insured etc., at work, but during the selection process it must be difficult giving an employers a reason to discount you.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think some are getting a little confused. Not telling someone you have diabetes is not lying. If you are specifically asked, you should declare it. If you really want to, declare it. If any doubt, declare it. If however, you haven't been asked and you don't want to, it's not illegal to withhold it. You will not be prosecuted or insurance revoked or gross misconduct or anything else. If the job has certain requirements such as driving or similar, there should be a medical declaration form at time of application.

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lildanfen it's very interedting to hear your response. Firstly, if I were to tick 'no' to a disability, often the app. form which are often online won't allow you to give details. I think you have to tick yes for this to happen but I may be wrong. Secondly, assuming that the job is a non-dangerous one (as mine would be), would your advice still be the same if it was the first job in many years? I'm currently unemployed so it's possibly more than a point of principle! Thirdly, I'm not as cynical as you about politicians because I believe everyone is 'economical with the truth' from time to time. Do you always tell the truth yourself? Serious question but you don't have to answer it if you don't want to.

@merrym and @lildanfen , does choosing yes automatically get you an interview because I heard it might.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What does everyone put on job applications when they ask you if you have a disability that may require reasonable adjustment?

Type 1 diabetes MAY require adjustment, but I personally wouldn't say it is a disability, especially as I feel I'm generally under control.
it you are fit to do the job don't mention it your not disabled so you are not telling lies.
but there are some jobs you are not allowed to do like fly a plane
i have lost jobs when they found out.
witch is discrimination but you will never prove it.
if you do get a job and there is a union .join it
i had a big health problem and had to take ill health retirement ..
the union sorted it all and i got all my full pension entitlements at the age of 48 .

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
@lildanfen it's very interedting to hear your response. Firstly, if I were to tick 'no' to a disability, often the app. form which are often online won't allow you to give details. I think you have to tick yes for this to happen but I may be wrong. Secondly, assuming that the job is a non-dangerous one (as mine would be), would your advice still be the same if it was the first job in many years? I'm currently unemployed so it's possibly more than a point of principle! Thirdly, I'm not as cynical as you about politicians because I believe everyone is 'economical with the truth' from time to time. Do you always tell the truth yourself? Serious question but you don't have to answer it if you don't want to.

@merrym and @lildanfen , does choosing yes automatically get you an interview because I heard it might.
I've never asked if it does or not. I would like to think they're based on qualifications but *shrugs I live in Canada, it is illegal here to discriminate against applicants for having a disability. Answering the question is always an "option" and not a requirement and we don't specify with what disability is, just that we have one.

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Christopher, I can not honestly say I have never lied. I can honestly say I have never lied about my Diabetes, employers have asked about my control and about any lost sick days in relation to my illness, honesty from people is a breath of fresh air.
As an employer myself these days I employ a genius with mental disability, a diabetic who like myself was honest on his application. Most application ask if you suffer from the following illnesses never are you disabled and then give you a drop down list.

Always remember that when applying for a job, employers speed read CV's, what makes you stand out and different from your competitors? Maybe it's your Diabetes.
Maybe your perspective employer would like to hear that when Diabetes threw you an unexpected curve ball, you pushed through all the seemingly unmovable obstacles, all the unknowns to make you a stronger person, a person that can take the unexpected and work it to their advantages.

What we never know is what people are really looking for and what we see as a weakness is probably a strength.

I wish you every success in your job search. If you want to privately message me I know a lot of employers around the UK who are always looking for people

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd always say 'YES' - our condition is covered by Disability Discrimination Act & Equalities Act's etc among others after all...

There seems to be an awful lot of negativity towards the word 'disabled', as if ticking that box as a 'yes' somehow makes us less of a person or that there is something 'wrong' with us that is made worse just by ticking a box? I don't believe this to be the case, it simply allows the employer to make an informed decision about the applicant - if there are long terms plan to develop the role in to something that an employer knows would put a diabetic persons health at risk, or the nature of the role/environment would not be conducive to the applicants health then they have a right to know that information up front AND a responsibility to the applicant to consider it before offering interviews etc. There's also a bit of respect & courtesy for other applicants, if I was offered an interview, then upon getting there found out things about the job that I realised as a diabetic meant the job would no longer be suitable for me, I personally would hate to feel like I'd wasted an employers time, as well as taken away an opportunity for someone else who wouldn't have had to turn the gig down for health reasons =S.

Another point to consider is this, whether You, I or WE consider it a disability or not, as it's covered by DDA so someone, somewhere, who writes guidelines for what is a disability and what is not has decided it is. That makes it *almost* a solid fact. One I think the majority of us are aware of (but may not agree with) By consciously ticking 'no' you may not be lying as such, but you are also not telling the 100% truth as far as 'the rules' are concerned. So to take the point a lot of people have made that you 'would tell them later as I have nothing to hide'...if I were an employer, and I interviewed a person who had ticked 'no' on their application, who then let me know they were a diabetic and had been at the time of filling in the form, my first thought wouldn't be 'wow, how open, honest & upfront their being about their health issues'...it would actually be 'what else are they hiding/not telling me in their application if they hid something this important up until now?'...

...that may just be my paranoia kicking in to overdrive but that's just my views on the above, I'm not saying either side of this coin is right or wrong as such, but I do disagree with anyone who'd tick no.