Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Try to get Councillor involvement too, some Practices and hospitals are missing out on heaps of money as they aren't aware of new buildings and homes. They have to apply for money that these developments should give under s106. If they don't get it at a specific point of time then that opportunity is lost.

We're lucky that we have a great PM... This is where patients aren't aware of what practices have to do behind the scenes....

Glad to hear of another fellow PPG person!!

Its not been easy either DD - more to do with the community pharmacist .
Nailing him down to attend the PPG meetings was hard going with myself !
Gave him weeks/months in advance meeting dates/times repeatedly .
He kept using shoddy excuses to try and get out of attending :mad::arghh:

Had to keep on at him to support us in our community by "attending"
Eventually I said if you attend - you wont have me keep nagging you
about this .
So he gave in or up ? Dunno which one of these?
Attended and it ended up being a pleasant
experience for him and very productive for the acting GP/receptionists .
Plus he got ME off his case too ;):)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Try to get Councillor involvement too, some Practices and hospitals are missing out on heaps of money as they aren't aware of new buildings and homes. They have to apply for money that these developments should give under s106. If they don't get it at a specific point of time then that opportunity is lost.

We're lucky that we have a great PM... This is where patients aren't aware of what practices have to do behind the scenes....

Glad to hear of another fellow PPG person!!
I assume by PM you mean practice manager, not that you are blowing David Cameron's trumpet!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I assume by PM you mean practice manager, not that you are blowing David Cameron's trumpet!

Am I blowing Camerons trumpet??

Just thought it was good to have good relations between patients trying to be active and Practice Manager being good too? (I am just grateful for the care I've had in last 30 years of diabetes...)

kellpam

So, I have also just received one of these penalty charge notices - they must be on a roll! Also for £96.50.
Having suffered this chronic and INCURABLE disease for nearly 40 years, why the hell do I need a little card that says I can have free prescriptions??? my condition dictates that I can have free prescriptions - prescriptions I hasten to add that help to keep me alive! I'm not some druggie trying to get methadone for free, I NEED these to live! I don't get asked for evidence of my diabetes every time I go to the opticians for my eye check up! I have been asked for my card approximately once ever since I can remember. On challenging NHS BSA this evening as to why pharmacists don't ask for the certificate on presenting a prescription I was told that they won't challenge as they 'don't want to deny anybody their medicine' but just tick a box to say they've not seen the certificate. I don't bloomin care about being denied my medicine - ASK ME! My card ran out a while ago and they send the reminder to my old address, when I moved I informed all my utilities, sky, bt etc, etc AND my doctors, hospital, optician and all of my healthcare people - why on earth would I think that I'd have to inform these people? I'm all for taking responsibility for my condition and have done so incredibly well since it's inception at 6 years of age but this is just a farcical money making scheme - we don't pay for the certificates, we're not de-frauding the NHS so why fine people???
Oh well, guess I'll just have to cut down on my blood tests and not take as much insulin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ben21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I have also just received one of these penalty charge notices - they must be on a roll! Also for £96.50.
Having suffered this chronic and INCURABLE disease for nearly 40 years, why the hell do I need a little card that says I can have free prescriptions??? my condition dictates that I can have free prescriptions - prescriptions I hasten to add that help to keep me alive! I'm not some druggie trying to get methadone for free, I NEED these to live! I don't get asked for evidence of my diabetes every time I go to the opticians for my eye check up! I have been asked for my card approximately once ever since I can remember. On challenging NHS BSA this evening as to why pharmacists don't ask for the certificate on presenting a prescription I was told that they won't challenge as they 'don't want to deny anybody their medicine' but just tick a box to say they've not seen the certificate. I don't bloomin care about being denied my medicine - ASK ME! My card ran out a while ago and they send the reminder to my old address, when I moved I informed all my utilities, sky, bt etc, etc AND my doctors, hospital, optician and all of my healthcare people - why on earth would I think that I'd have to inform these people? I'm all for taking responsibility for my condition and have done so incredibly well since it's inception at 6 years of age but this is just a farcical money making scheme - we don't pay for the certificates, we're not de-frauding the NHS so why fine people???
Oh well, guess I'll just have to cut down on my blood tests and not take as much insulin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there.
I am in very similar position. My fine expires today. I AM NOT PAYING!!! The reason for my non payment is I did not have a card for 35 yrs - whats to stop them asking for more. I will not pay a penny... and i will argue the case in court if needs be.

I am writing a letter to very clearly explain this to them. May contact a Newspaper as well to get a story going - and get this heard about.

Regards

Ben

Reactions: 4 people

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have already replied to a few of these threads about these fines and now I have just received one.:( My card expired in November and since I had moved house I didn't get the reminder. Fortunately I realised in December so I was only without a certificate for a month. They have waited until now to send me the fine even though they can see I have a valid certificate. I am really upset about this, I haven't got loads of money and this isn't something I've budgeted for. I realise it is my responsibility to have a valid certificate but I rectified my mistake as soon as I discovered it was out of date. I've written them a strongly worded email and sent my MP an email so I'm hoping he can help too.

It's just got me a bit upset and cross, even when you try and sort out your mistake they still get you!

carol1506

I too had a penalty fine from the nhs for £120 I have been type 1 since 2007. I wasn't aware u needed to have a exemption. My dr never informed me about this all he said was now u will get free prescriptions. When I spoke to the nhs. About this they said I had to pay the fine. Luckily I am on benefits so the case was closed

carol1506

Hi there.
I am in very similar position. My fine expires today. I AM NOT PAYING!!! The reason for my non payment is I did not have a card for 35 yrs - whats to stop them asking for more. I will not pay a penny... and i will argue the case in court if needs be.

I am writing a letter to very clearly explain this to them. May contact a Newspaper as well to get a story going - and get this heard about.

Regards

Ben
I agree with you entirely. I too wasn't going to pay my fine. I also would have gone to court. End of the day even though we haven't had a exemption. Card. We are still diabetic so in my opinion we haven't commited any fraud.

carol1506

I have already replied to a few of these threads about these fines and now I have just received one.:( My card expired in November and since I had moved house I didn't get the reminder. Fortunately I realised in December so I was only without a certificate for a month. They have waited until now to send me the fine even though they can see I have a valid certificate. I am really upset about this, I haven't got loads of money and this isn't something I've budgeted for. I realise it is my responsibility to have a valid certificate but I rectified my mistake as soon as I discovered it was out of date. I've written them a strongly worded email and sent my MP an email so I'm hoping he can help too.

It's just got me a bit upset and cross, even when you try and sort out your mistake they still get you!
Do not pay u haven't deliberately done this. It was a genuine mistake. Stand yr ground and if they take u to court. I doubt u will be found guilty. Yr still a diabetic and nothing's going to change this

carol1506

Imagine my shock as I found a letter stating I had claimed free prescriptions but was not entitled to them. A phone call later I found my medical exemption certificate had expired (please check them guys) and they didn't care I owed them £133.20 well I thought I am on low earnings with child tax working tax and a disability element my earnings are less than 15k per annum now I'm getting tired and cranky with being fobbed off and thinking stuff u lot you want your money take me to court
It's absolutely disgusting that us diabetics are being targeted. I for one. Would gladly pay for any medicine. I need if I could trade it for not having to inject everyday just to stay alive.

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only got the letter on sat so havent paid. I really dont want to pay but dont want my credit rating to be affected if I dont. I emailed my MP about it and just had a reply saying they are going to contact the prescription checking service on my behalf. Hopefully that will help!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm not sure that diabetics are being targeted. All those who claim free prescriptions will be receiving the same treatment - this just happens to be a diabetic forum so it looks like diabetics are being targeted!

Reactions: 12 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It would have been better to have had a petition asking for the government to review the NHS England method of reviewing the way they are targetting all penalty charges (they aren't classified as fines) and asking them to change the systems to only target the knowing fraudsters..

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I applied on Friday for a card, was unware I needed 1 until I saw it on the BBC news website.

Ive been type 1 for 42 year and always though no card was required, I hope I do not need another perscription until the card comes (and before any fines come too)

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be much more sensible to target those who are claiming who arent actually entitled to an exemption certificate! It would be an interesting freedom of information request to see what percentage of fines are being sent to people who will never qualify for a certificate and those who through admin/busy life error just dont have an up to date certificate.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I applied on Friday for a card, was unware I needed 1 until I saw it on the BBC news website.

Ive been type 1 for 42 year and always though no card was required, I hope I do not need another perscription until the card comes (and before any fines come too)
You can pay for your scripts to avoid a fine and then claim it back when your card arrives ( this only applies if you are waiting for a card to come and only for one month - my new card took 5 days my hubby's 4 days)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Thank you lovinglife, hopefully mine will be here this week :)

Andrew61827

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Currently in the process of attempting to contest this charge and received this from my MP's secretary today:- (I have replaced my MP's name with X)

Please find attached the response X has received from the NHS Business Services Authority who have decided to uphold the decision to fine you. I appreciate that this will be disappointing for you. It appears me to that the system is not designed to (nor does it have the capacity) deal with complaints, and there quite simply is no appeals process as such. The system seems is so rigid that they have an obligation under the Regulations to issue fines for any prescriptions ‘falsely’ claimed.

X feels this is unfair and will raise the inflexibility of the system with the relevant Government minister. However I must stress that even if she writes today I would certainly not expect a response in advance of the 03 March 2015 deadline you have to pay the fine by, so unfortunately I would recommend that you should pay the fine before it increases.

I will of course ensure you receive a copy of the response from the Minister. Really sorry I couldn’t be of any further immediate assistance.

Happy to discuss if you have any questions.

Best wishes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its not actually classified as a "fine" on the literature displayed in our GP ir on the NHS website... They describe it as a penalty charge but then threaten fines...

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Currently in the process of attempting to contest this charge and received this from my MP's secretary today:- (I have replaced my MP's name with X)

Please find attached the response X has received from the NHS Business Services Authority who have decided to uphold the decision to fine you. I appreciate that this will be disappointing for you. It appears me to that the system is not designed to (nor does it have the capacity) deal with complaints, and there quite simply is no appeals process as such. The system seems is so rigid that they have an obligation under the Regulations to issue fines for any prescriptions ‘falsely’ claimed.

X feels this is unfair and will raise the inflexibility of the system with the relevant Government minister. However I must stress that even if she writes today I would certainly not expect a response in advance of the 03 March 2015 deadline you have to pay the fine by, so unfortunately I would recommend that you should pay the fine before it increases.

I will of course ensure you receive a copy of the response from the Minister. Really sorry I couldn’t be of any further immediate assistance.

Happy to discuss if you have any questions.

Best wishes