Milled linseed (flax seed in some countries) - anyone tried it?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came across this in the cereals section of my local Aldi supermarket. The data looks promising, low carb, high fibre and protein and high Omega 3. I do miss porridge oats and have experimented with milled linseed and I like it although I can see why it might not be fore everyone as it can become a bit gloopy when cooked. My wife says it looks and tastes like baby food! :) This morning I had 50g of milled linseed mixed with 15g of oatmeal with added wheat bran and oat bran (Sainsburys product) and calculated the total carbs excluding fibre was under 15g. Added water and microwaved for two and half minutes and it made a good porridge substitute. I don't normally have milk with my porridge but might try adding cream next time. I didn't test before breakfast but 2 hours post breakfast I had a 6.6 which doesn't seem too bad; I also had half a portion of kippers and a fried egg, incidentally.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 20g of milled flaxseed every morning sprinkled on my yogurt and berries. The plan for me was to increase my fibre, and it has worked well. I buy Linwood's. It has no carbs. 20g has 4g protein, 9g fat, 6g fibre and 113 calories. I've never tried it "cooked".

Reactions: 6 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes I eat it every day. I buy the seed and grind it up finely in a coffee grinder, just enough for about a week because it is quite easily oxidised.

I just make a 25 % slurry ie for example 25 grams of the ground flax with 75 grams of boiling water. Tart it up with salt and pepper etc.

1. Flax
    Food
  2. Flax, with the binomial name Linum usitatissimum, is a member of the genus Linum in the family Linaceae. It is a food and fiber crop that is grown in cooler regions of the world.Wikipedia
  3. Nutrition Facts
    FlaxseedFlaxseed

Amount Per 1 tsp, ground (2.5 g)1 tsp, whole (3.4 g)1 tbsp, ground (7 g)1 tbsp, whole (10.3 g)100 grams1 cup, whole (168 g)100 grams

Calories 534
  4. % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 42 g 64%
    Saturated fat 3.7 g 18%
    Polyunsaturated fat 29 g
    Monounsaturated fat 8 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 30 mg 1%
    Potassium 813 mg 23%
    Total Carbohydrate 29 g 9%
    Dietary fiber 27 g 108%
    Sugar 1.6 g
    Protein 18 g 36%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 1%
    Calcium 25% Iron 31%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 25%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 98%
    *Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hello yes I have flax seed every morning ....with my breakfast on my alpen ...not ever cooked it ...
Not cheap , but a bag can last quite a long time ....
One of the super foods ...holland and barret sell it along with most supermarkets

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, 1 or 2 teaspoons everyday sorted out my stomach and bowel problems.

Completely perfect now.

Reactions: 4 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have a teaspoon of it on my yogurt in the morning and it keeps me goin toilet wise,,,never cooked it tho

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello yes I have flax seed every morning ....with my breakfast on my alpen ...not ever cooked it ...
One of the super foods ...hollow and barret sell it along with most supermarkets

Alpen, that sounds very sweet to me....

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought about yogurt but even plain yogurt has a reasonable amount of carbs in it. Not sure I could do breakfast on yogurt by itself or even with some linseed mixed in.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the super foods ...hollow and barret sell it along with most supermarkets

The Aldi brand milled linseed comes in plain and two flavoured varieties (some different types of added berries and sesame) and comes in sealable bags you keep in the fridge. £1.99 for 225g (flavoured) or 250g (plain). I have no connection with Aldi!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I buy Linwoods milled golden flax seed from Amazon., and use it regularly both as a sprinkle on my yoghurt and microwaved parmesan crisps, and as an ingredient in sweet and savoury muffins.

I prefer the golden seeds to the standard brown ones, but both are a useful addition to our diabetic diets.

It's known as a super food, but I consider it to be a super plant as it's so versatile too: its oil is used to "season" cricket bats, linen is maded from the fibres extracted from its stalks, and it has the most beautiful little pale blue flowers - a field of flax in full flower looks like the sky has fallen down to earth.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi vit90

I eat a Flax bun every morning for breakfast. That way I don't miss my sandwich bread

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a very recent convert to flax bread buns. Just bought a coffee grinder and a supply of seed, as it works out much cheaper. Think I prefer the brown linseed to golden linseed, but throw in a few mixed herbs and the buns taste yummy with either. And a great source of fibre.
(ps flax bread seems much nicer than rye bread to me)
Sue

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Aldi stuff is not dark in colour so I guess it's milled from the golden type of linseed. Can someone point me to recipes for flax bread?

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I googled for my recipes. Can't remember where I found it, but the recipe for the buns is:
3 tablespoons of ground flax, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, one egg. Add whatever flavourings (I use 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs). Mix and microwave for 2 mins (I use a small plastic pudding bowl).

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I googled for my recipes. Can't remember where I found it, but the recipe for the buns is:
3 tablespoons of ground flax, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, one egg. Add whatever flavourings (I use 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs). Mix and microwave for 2 mins (I use a small plastic pudding bowl).

I will try that :)

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Linwoods, Milled Flaxseed Sunflower Pumpkin & Sesame Seeds & Goji Berries.

I put 1 tablespoon of this on my cereal, 1 weetabix with soya milk, 7 days per week.
If making curry, chili or similar dish i add two tablespoons before serving. Can be added to any dish really. To get the best goodness; never cook.

Powerful food for body and mind!