Confused , stressed and shocked ! Please help ?!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think all the docs take it differently, some will put you on medication while others might not and I think instead of just chucking medicines and asking us to have them, if they tell us that this is how you should control and this is what you should do would be better.
But well there advise is flawed as well if we see what the nurses or docs tell the diabetics is all **** full of s***

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again , what is hypoglycamia ? And would I get this ? Sounds bad looking at googles answers
Hi, You are racing ahead, it can be very scary at first reading all the things that can go wrong and the complications, your figures however, were certainly very manageable and taking advice from here will soon get them down, but you need to go back to your Doctors and get the definitive answer that you want & then you can move forward from there.

We must emphasize we are not medically trained on here we are just individuals like you, who have learnt from experience & others with diabetes, but the general answer to your question would be, regards hypoglycaemia, is it is unusual for a Type 2s to experience a Hypo, 'Low Blood Sugar', which suggests you would need to be under 4mmol/L (using a finger prick test), but there are people on this forum who are regularly under that number and do not Hypo. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html

I was warned that been on Metformin and if I were to drink alcohol very heavily, without food then there was small chance of a Hypo.
So, at this stage a HYPO is not something you really need to worry about.

Neil

Doughnut123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggest you clear everything up with your doc first before starting to look around for complications and hypos.
May be you are ok and all this is just scaring you more than anything else.
I am type 2 with no family history and neither overweight nor unhealthy eater infact I don't miss anything as I was always eating what I am eating now except fruits and first few days for me were like crazy as well but my level was 16 when it came back so I was sure diabetic. Just go to gp and ask for a1c that would confirm if you are or not a diabatic.
Hi
Just been docs and gonna have another test tomorrow which is the hba1c on fasting blood test . Also went chemist and had blood test with a prick from finger. Reading 6.2

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't really understand why your doctor put you on Metformin on a blood test level of 6.7 as they say it is only classed as being full diabetes if you have two consecutive drawn blood tests of 7 or over so you would be prediabetic at 6.7
My own tests were 6.9 and my doctor said I was still hanging in but not quite into full diabetes so she will not put me on medication. I have been like this for over 3 years hovering on the brink and to try and stay there I have cut out all sugar stuff and moderate on food like bread and potatoes and I don't eat pasta or rice
Hi AnnieC,
I put the 6.7 (as we are thinking he had an HbA1c test and not a fasting, so the figure would be 6.7%) into the calculator for a HbA1c conversion and it comes in at a HbA1c 49.7 . A HbA1c of 48 is diabetic, I was only an HbA1c of 46 but because I had 2 fasting's of 8.3 & 9.2 I was diagnosed as such and given Metformin. I am now out of the range now, I think sometimes the Metformin is given as more an appetite suppressant than for the direct help on the sugars which is marginal. I discussed coming off metformin with the Doc and he immediately said 'don't forget it does make you less hungry'.
Neil

Reactions: 2 people

Doughnut123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't really understand why your doctor put you on Metformin on a blood test level of 6.7 as they say it is only classed as being full diabetes if you have two consecutive drawn blood tests of 7 or over so you would be prediabetic at 6.7
My own tests were 6.9 and my doctor said I was still hanging in but not quite into full diabetes so she will not put me on medication. I have been like this for over 3 years hovering on the brink and to try and stay there I have cut out all sugar stuff and moderate on food like bread and potatoes and I don't eat pasta or rice
Hi
I went doctor today and having another test tomorrow . Fasting test for hba1c and cholesterol . Also had check at local chemist and reading was 6.2 on fast

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Just been docs and gonna have another test tomorrow which is the hba1c on fasting blood test . Also went chemist and had blood test with a prick from finger. Reading 6.2
HI Doughnut123,
It's the HbA1c which will give you the results that will tell you what your average blood glucose was over the last 3 months, plus you possible fasting test that you are having will give an indication too.

The finger prick test only tells you what you sugar level is 'at that moment in time'. Even if you did not have diabetes, say you were to have a sugary drink, then within 30 min's your sugars would rise very quickly. Conversely your 6.2 reading may have come down from a high 1/2 hour earlier (in the diabetic range) but the mere fact of walking or some activity going to the chemist and the doctors etc. could have brought your sugars down.
Wait for the HbA1c
Please let us know how you get on......
Neil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. The HbA1c test will confirm one way or another whether you have diabetes. The fasting test at the chemist isn't really helpful. Lots of things affect a finger prick test taken like that, including an extended fast (the extra time it takes to get to the chemist, the stress involved, the journey there, rushing about, and so on) All these things affect BG levels. Try not to worry, 6.2 is not high.

Reactions: 4 people

Doughnut123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think all the docs take it differently, some will put you on medication while others might not and I think instead of just chucking medicines and asking us to have them, if they tell us that this is how you should control and this is what you should do would be better.
But well there advise is flawed as well if we see what the nurses or docs tell the diabetics is all **** full of s***
I went back to another doc and he said to do another hba1c test and stop metaphormins .

Doughnut123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK. The HbA1c test will confirm one way or another whether you have diabetes. The fasting test at the chemist isn't really helpful. Lots of things affect a finger prick test taken like that, including an extended fast (the extra time it takes to get to the chemist, the stress involved, the journey there, rushing about, and so on) All these things affect BG levels. Try not to worry, 6.2 is not high.
Well , I drove to the chemist and its only 5 minutes away and such helpful pharmacist.

Doughnut123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI Doughnut123,
It's the HbA1c which will give you the results that will tell you what your average blood glucose was over the last 3 months, plus you possible fasting test that you are having will give an indication too.

The finger prick test only tells you what you sugar level is 'at that moment in time'. Even if you did not have diabetes, say you were to have a sugary drink, then within 30 min's your sugars would rise very quickly. Conversely your 6.2 reading may have come down from a high 1/2 hour earlier (in the diabetic range) but the mere fact of walking or some activity going to the chemist and the doctors etc. could have brought your sugars down.
Wait for the HbA1c
Please let us know how you get on......
Neil
I drove to get chemist .

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doughnut, 3 months ago I was exactly where you are now. Scared witless, baffled, denial, whatever emotions came along. I'd heard all the horror stories about diabetes and thought I'd be dead by the end of the week, Reading posts on here, listening to Spec Nurses, going on courses with NHS, trying different things, etc etc all helped me accept it. Keep asking what you may think of as daft questions; I still am, and people on here will give you really helpful advice, tips, anecdotes about their way of coping, diets and it's very interesting. Stay strong, keep smiling :)

Reactions: 3 people

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Doughnut,
I can understand your sense of shock. I too went to the doctor with something completely different and came out with Type 2 diabetes.
So I read and read, and convinced my doctor and diabetic nurse that I wanted to try diet and exercise for the first few months at least. They reluctantly agreed, and a year later I am still proving them wrong.
So get your doctor on board, make it clear that you want to be an educated patient, find out exactly what you test results were, and have it explained properly if metformin is for you (it may be the right thing for you, but possibly the slow release version).
With hindsight, although I would never choose to have diabetes, I am now much healthier than I was before I was diagnosed, and I am still getting compliments from colleagues about how well I look. I know that I am lucky that I was in a position to make the lifestyle changes that I needed, eating lower carb does take some planning. But I think it's worth it.
Good luck with it all and the results of your latest HbA1c test, and all the best for your next chat with your doctor.
Sue

Reactions: 6 people

sputnick007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, You are racing ahead, it can be very scary at first reading all the things that can go wrong and the complications, your figures however, were certainly very manageable and taking advice from here will soon get them down, but you need to go back to your Doctors and get the definitive answer that you want & then you can move forward from there.

We must emphasize we are not medically trained on here we are just individuals like you, who have learnt from experience & others with diabetes, but the general answer to your question would be, regards hypoglycaemia, is it is unusual for a Type 2s to experience a Hypo, 'Low Blood Sugar', which suggests you would need to be under 4mmol/L (using a finger prick test), but there are people on this forum who are regularly under that number and do not Hypo. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html

I was warned that been on Metformin and if I were to drink alcohol very heavily, without food then there was small chance of a Hypo.
So, at this stage a HYPO is not something you really need to worry about.

Neil