Possible diabetes

ianr42

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,very new to this so apologies if this is in the wrong area.
I am a 42 yr old male,6ft and just under 16stone.
My mother and Sister are both type 2 diabetics,I went for a test today but didn't realise it was a fasting test,it came out at 8.4,I had eaten 2 pieces of white toast and a cup of tea(1 sugar) about 30 mins before the test.
I am going back Wednesday foe a fasting test,with what I have eaten is that a normal score or still high?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 2 people

Microbe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ianr

The tests are designed to test your sugar post an overnight fast. The toast and sugar in tea will almost certainly have impacted a little on the test result but more importantly the doctors will not be able to assess by how much as we all react slightly differently to food, hence the requirement for fasting to get to a base level.

There are different types of impaired glucose metabolism and you may have one or even none of them.

Good luck with the revised test and if in doubt,, keep asking questions until you are satisfied that you know what you need.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It implies you may or may not be border-line diabetic

Removed diagnosis phrase . Anna29

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I wouldn't worry about it now. Wait until you get the new results. Ask for a printout of the results - you may find that useful to have someday.

You should get an HbA1c test as well. You can have a normal fasting blood glucose levels, yet still have type 2 diabetes. That's what happened with me. The HbA1c is a measure of your average blood glucose levels over the 3 months.

I'm surprised they had a result right away. The fasting blood glucose test should really be done in a laboratory so that it is accurate.

ianr42

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply.
Think I was more worried with my mum being diagnosed this week also, on a bright note its made me think about my diet and exercise so if I'm clear then I can look at helping myself for the future.

Spent all day trying to find answers on the internet and it was pretty vague,some saying non-diabetics shouldn't be that high after a full meal so that concerned me a bit.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first test after a brown tuna sandwich and a cup of tea was 27 next day had a fasting at 19.

I'm gonna take a punt and say your type 2 and will have a lifelong relationship with metformin.

Most important thing is chin up, it's not the end of the world or life as you know it, I've just made lots of small adjustments :)

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,very new to this so apologies if this is in the wrong area.
I am a 42 yr old male,6ft and just under 16stone.
My mother and Sister are both type 2 diabetics,I went for a test today but didn't realise it was a fasting test,it came out at 8.4,I had eaten 2 pieces of white toast and a cup of tea(1 sugar) about 30 mins before the test.
I am going back Wednesday foe a fasting test,with what I have eaten is that a normal score or still high?

Thanks in advance.
I'm type 2, could have a fasting reading of 5.0..................eat 2 toast with marmalade + tea with a sweetener and 2 hrs later have a reading of somewhere around 8 - 8.5. By dinnertime I would be around the 5.5 - 6.0. If for some reason it was any higher, I would adjust what I had for dinner or go for a slightly longer walk and try to get my teatime reading down to around the 5.0 - no higher than 6.0. I have been known to go for a short 2 mile walk after tea just to bring the score down a little and give me a good reading again in the morning.

ianr42

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that, by the looks of it there's a fair chance I will be given type 2 diagnosis, wish I could have swapped work tomorrow and had the year done tomorrow like they wanted instead of waiting another day.
I'm not really surprised if that's the case as my diet is very poor and I do no exercise,I am on my feet all day in work with a lot of manual involved so justified this as my exercise so no matter the result this is a big wake up call for me

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont worry ian think positive and take another test, you might not have anything to fear but atleast take this as a headsup to better your diet and do more exercise.
wish you all the best.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2, could have a fasting reading of 5.0..................eat 2 toast with marmalade + tea with a sweetener and 2 hrs later have a reading of somewhere around 8 - 8.5. By dinnertime I would be around the 5.5 - 6.0. If for some reason it was any higher, I would adjust what I had for dinner or go for a slightly longer walk and try to get my teatime reading down to around the 5.0 - no higher than 6.0. I have been known to go for a short 2 mile walk after tea just to bring the score down a little and give me a good reading again in the morning.

Hi Adrian207, I'm a little confused :confused: in-particular when you have toast & marmalade, so looked at your profile, on there your are a Type 1 ah' that explains it' I thought, then I saw the start of your post.

Must be a 'typo' somehow? :)

Sorry ;)

Neil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I wouldn't worry. Wait for your proper blood tests. Even some non-diabetics can spike to the 8's or higher so soon after eating carbs, so you may be worrying about nothing. I take it this was just a finger prick test? They aren't very reliable at the best of times.

Meanwhile, no reason why you shouldn't do something about your diet and lifestyle now. Have a good read round and learn as much as you can.

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Adrian207, I'm a little confused :confused: in-particular when you have toast & marmalade, so looked at your profile, on there your are a Type 1 ah' that explains it' I thought, then I saw the start of your post.

Must be a 'typo' somehow? :)

Sorry ;)

Neil
Hi Neil. Thanks for spotting that Type 1 error in my profile. I am actually type 2 (have now changed profile default from 1 to 2).

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Welcome to the forum, try not to worry and let us know how you get on:)