Injecting in public?

Stephanie.F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was interested in what everyone's views where on injecting in public and anyone's experiences?

I wrote about it on my blog Injecting in public! http://wp.me/p5HUmY-e via @wordpressdotcom

Let me know your views

Reactions: 4 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not insulin-dependent, nor have I known anyone IRL who is. I also hate needles and am squeamish about a lot of things. However, someone injecting in public would not bother me in the least. Insulin-dependent diabetics must inject themselves to live, and I don't think they should have to "hide" if they are enjoying themselves in a park or somewhere where there are no private areas immediately available. Because I have no personal experience, I imagine if one has to inject, they have to do it "now", rather than later, so searching for a private place in a maybe unfamiliar area seems unwise if it will bring on a hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just get on and test/inject in public and no-one has ever batted an eyelid or commented. I don't think anyone really notices what I am doing. The pens are pretty discreet and the needles are small.

Reactions: 14 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, there was previous thread. I inject at the table in public and no one seems to notice. It really isn't a problem with modern pens and needles. The sort of clothes you are wearing can make life a bit difficult at times particularly in winter.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never had a problem giving myself my insulin in public. That said, I only inject in my arm or stomach when not going to a loo to do so. Might be a bit awkward pulling my trousers down in a crowded place to access my leg :p

Reactions: 8 people

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have never had any problems injecting in public, I do get the very occasional funny look but I just ignore them. At the end of the day I need my insulin to live and if I need it while out and about then I will use it regardless of where I am or who I am with

Bluerose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do my injection on my stomach when eating out so I have a bit of cover, I do at times feel embarrassedat times, but I have no choice I need to inject to eat.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I used to go to toilets etc to do it and then i thought ****** it and inject wherever i am now,whether it be bus,shopping centre etc

Reactions: 8 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't mind too much when injecting in public because it has to be done but it can be embarrassing when people stare which I don't like. I have never been asked to go and do it in a private area though which is nice :)

gateian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually inject in public and make a sound like i'm getting really high....

just kidding ;)

No it depends. If there is a freely available toilet i'll usually just pop in there. But most times i'll just do it in public. I used to be nervous about that, but now I just thinking "Sod you, if you are taking offence at this" lol. Of course I really don't think many people notice. You'd really have to be observing me to see what i'm doing.

Reactions: 12 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not insulin-dependent, nor have I known anyone IRL who is. I also hate needles and am squeamish about a lot of things. However, someone injecting in public would not bother me in the least. Insulin-dependent diabetics must inject themselves to live, and I don't think they should have to "hide" if they are enjoying themselves in a park or somewhere where there are no private areas immediately available. Because I have no personal experience, I imagine if one has to inject, they have to do it "now", rather than later, so searching for a private place in a maybe unfamiliar area seems unwise if it will bring on a hypo.

In all fairness. Searching for for a place to "Jack up" for a meal in unfamiliar architecture would no more induce a hypo than the prospect of another Star Wars movie... ;)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In all fairness. Searching for for a place to "Jack up" for a meal in unfamiliar architecture would no more induce a hypo than the prospect of another Star Wars movie... ;)

I prefaced that comment by saying I am not insulin dependent, nor have I known anyone IRL who is. I assumed that delaying insulin when it is needed could bring on a hypo. I understand now that is not the case. Thank you for correcting me, Jaylee.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Injecting in a toilet isn't suitable for me at all .
A hospital clinic staff nurse lectured me and my mother
(she was with me at the time)
All bodily fluids are air bourne in toilets and risk of
contamination is high .
In a public toilets environment .

We had a large thread on this a while back .

Nurse told me to always stop and inject wherever I am .
If in hospital clinics - ask for a room and one can be provided .
So this I do - when at clinics appointments .
They are always happy to do this .
(still get them reminding me to never use a toilet to inject)

If out and about - I just quietly do my insulin injection(s)
Where ever I am - café , restaurant, shopping (just stop test
and do a quiet quick shot) then crack on with whatever I am doing .
If anyone looks - its more out of curiosity than anything else .
Any questions asked - I always use this as an opportunity to
educate them with their questions and curiosity .

Last edited by a moderator:

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
Just get on with it thats what I do when I need insulin I need insulin and I have had possibly the worst experience in public well bar the few people on here I have read about that have been arrested after people thought they were taking illegal drugs cant seem to find the thread now but yeah. Should never be ashamed of the thing that keeps you alive your health is the most important thing.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefaced that comment by saying I am not insulin dependent, nor have I known anyone IRL who is. I assumed that delaying insulin when it is needed could bring on a hypo. I understand now that is not the case. Thank you for correcting me, Jaylee.
Hi. You are partially correct. If the insulin was delayed long enough then it might miss the meatime carb high and send blood sugar down low later on. Unlikely but possible.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No problem Fallgal. I did indeed note your "preface" as I read the post at least 3 times..
My retort was in the spirit of good natured buoyant humour. (Banter.) Which in fairness I feel may have "barbed"..
It's difficult to tell sometimes on a forum. Please accept my goodwill if it did? ..! :)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem Fallgal. I did indeed note your "preface" as I read the post at least 3 times..
My retort was in the spirit of good natured buoyant humour. (Banter.) Which in fairness I feel may have "barbed"..
It's difficult to tell sometimes on a forum. Please accept my goodwill if it did? ..! :)

Nooo, not at all. I was glad you said something. I'd feel horrible if a newbie T1 (of which I truly know nothing so I shouldn't even comment on T1 threads) would come along and see something dumb I wrote and think it was sound info! :)

JannyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject in public, have had some funny looks over time but I don't particularly care. At end of day I need it and refuse to inject in public toilets. My husband likes to announce I'm getting high sometimes if people stare just to wind them up ;)

Reactions: 10 people