What really spikes you?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
30 years ago they had this knowledge in Norway???? are we really that backward in the uk that we are only just catching on? Shame on us Brits.
We used to know how bad sugar is in Sweden too but it seems to have been forgotten in recent decades.

When I grew up we were told to eat proper food and not spoil the appetite with snacks.

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The worst spikey things are rice and mash. That I know of.

There are a lot of things I never eat so wouldn't know but I guess a breakfast cereal might be as bad or even worse.

Reactions: 2 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
The worst spikey things are rice and mash. That I know of.

There are a lot of things I never eat so wouldn't know but I guess a breakfast cereal might be as bad or even worse.
Yah like a simple bowl of Kellogs Cornflakes 100g Portion = 84g Carb + 12g for milk???? Less carb in a mars bar!!!! Since i've been on the db forum i'm learning quite a bit about carbs and they are really surprising me. No wonder i was spiking after breakfast, this + Toast = Spike City. I'm like...***!!! where is all this sugar coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
but lets say for example the carb count in 1 x weetabix is high...

Carbohydrates 26g
of which sugars 1.7g

but how would this be viewed as a T1 is it all carb or is this a relative break down as the actual sugar content is low, is it a good GI food ie slow release carb???

Shouldn't our injection of insulin deal with this and there should be no spike?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Carbohydrates 26g
of which sugars 1.7g

but how would this be viewed as a T1 is it all carb or is this a relative break down as the actual sugar content is low, is it a good GI food ie slow release carb???

It's about 13 carbs per Weetabix and 26 carbs (for a serving of two) which isn't too bad. I used to have just one with a some milk and found it no trouble, but that was over two years ago. Weetabix was my favourite cereal :)

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Curious about this one, i like porridge oats and they are a low GI and are harder to break down in the digestive system so they should be a slow release carb, is it not possibly that you are having them mixed with sugar or high milk sugars or they are the refined oats like oats so simple they will spike you more but plain porridge oats shouldn't spike the blood in theory.

No sugar and made with skimmed milk, last time I had a bowl ended up high teens.

I stick with two weetabix and skim milk for breakfast, 31 carbs and 6 units of novorapid is **** near flatline on my graph.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1424104869.077597.jpg

This morning after weetabix

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1424104912.380912.jpg

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Carbohydrates 26g
of which sugars 1.7g

It's all carb, so we have to bolus for it all, and in a perfect world that would be fine. But carb figs aren't exact, and there's at least a 30% margin of error with how much insulin gets through, and that's the door to trouble.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all carb, so we have to bolus for it all, and in a perfect world that would be fine. But carb figs aren't exact, and there's at least a 30% margin of error with how much insulin gets through, and that's the door to trouble.

Plus the fact that many of us find that different types of carb have different effects, gram for gram.

Life would be soooo much simpler if eating 10 g carb had the same effect whether it came from corn flour, wheat, green veggies, fruit, potato or sugar. But that isn't how it works for my body (says the diet controlled T2).

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress or a couple of hours driving, even though I like driving.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Porridge always spikes me .
Plus it sets like concrete in me too .

Avoid it now completely - not worth the pain :inpain::(

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My grandchildren love making cakes! And I can never resist.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LucySW as @noblehead said, I think it's the low carb thing that did that to you Lucy. I get greater impact from carbs now than previously, but under a normal carb diet, two teaspoons of ice cream really had very little impact in the past.

But presumably you're injecting higher doses of insulin?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I bolused for the meal not including the two teaspoons, but I still wouldn't have expected the reaction.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say, something that makes me really happy is that boiled sweet potato does nothing to my BG :D

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I bolused for the meal not including the two teaspoons, but I still wouldn't have expected the reaction.
I was addressing this question to @tim2000s because I was thinking that not doing an aggressive LCHF means you accept injecting more insulin.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Carbohydrates 26g
of which sugars 1.7g

Personally, as a T2, on no medication, I take notice of total carbs. Any further detail, like "of which is sugar" is like white noise to me, and the GI consideration, I would call finesse. So, in other words, concentrate on the total carbs, and once you have a handle on those, and how they impact you, then start to consider whether you want to take GI and the like into account. For me, GI hasn't seemed to have a great impact.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin