Injecting in public?

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love injecting in public. When someone pulls me up about it I inform them that I have an illness and when they say it's disgusting and I should go to a toilet, I politely inform them that public bathrooms are the dirtiest places on earth.
I have been arrested and released when they found out I was diabetic not a heroin addict.

I enjoy rubbing people up the right way, if I was a mother when my kids were born I would have popped both breasts out for feeding.

People need to stop stereotyping the world is a bad enough place without people stoking the fire

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 12 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I kept giggling once when injecting myself .
My granddaughter who was only 4 at the time .
Shouted out my grandma's tummy is 'broken' :hilarious::joyful::D
Made me and lots of folk smile that day :D

Heard a guy in a café once announce - 'excuse me while I just extend my life'
I was both amazed yet proud of him at the same time .

Injecting in public isn't always grim doom and gloom :woot:;)
Quite the opposite sometimes .

Reactions: 6 people

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
Get on with it. Don't let the ignorant, prejudice numpties get you down. I'd never risk my own health/life on the off-chance I might offend someone.

Reactions: 4 people

KellyBarron

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject my insulin in public no one ever says anything, but always have it in my mind that people think I'm injecting something illegal...silly really

Reactions: 2 people

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could care less what other people are doing and expect the same treatment from others when I inject. I do this when and wherever I need to and I don't need approval from non diabetics so any one reading this thread , you cant help who you are so don't hide it and screw everyone else who has a problem with it.

peejay 37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sainsbury's
Well done all you Type1s I used to be embarrassed and told to take it to the toilets but with the latest pre filled pens I find that its done at the table without any commotion

Zakaria1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just don't care i injecte myself wherever my time of injections is...i just hate the poor face that people make when they see me...they think that i'm dying or something :/

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just don't care i injecte myself wherever my time of injections is...i just hate the poor face that people make when they see me...they think that i'm dying or something :/

I admit that when that happens, I'm tempted to laugh manically and say " Ye Gods ! That feels SO GOOD! " :D:D:D

I dont, of course ! ;) But thinking it makes me smile :)

Signy

Zakaria1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I admit that when that happens, I'm tempted to laugh manically and say " Ye Gods ! That feels SO GOOD! " :D:D:D

I dont, of course ! ;) But thinking it makes me smile :)

Signy
Yea lol ...that makes me feel special somehow in a good way lol

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to do it in private, It's not like a few extra mins finding somewhere quiet is going to cause any health implications.

THAT Calvin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to get dirty looks all the time. It may have something to do with exclusively injecting in my bum at a dinner table, who knows?

- In all seriousness, you may get a disapproving glance once in a while, but only from people who are already looking for reasons to be bellends. Generally no one cares. I've done it elbow to elbow with strangers on plane flights, hundreds of times.

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dislike public toilets and would rather inject in full view of people. I get strange looks sometimes in restaurants but generally it is just curiosity. I have had a couple of looks of disgust and even a "tut" once and in these situations staring back at them as if they've grown an extra head tends to have them looking away pretty quickly and developing a red face.

HeatherJoy_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just get on with it now. A few weeks after i was diagnose i went to alton towers and was injecting and someone started shouting druggy and things like that at me, i was only 13, so my dad (not so politely) told them where to go! Doesnt bother me now, my best friend makes silly comments sometimes when on a night out but he doesnt actually mean them and sometimes they are funny! If anyone says anything to me now i simply tell them to educate themselves about diabetes.

diabeticjedi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject where ever i am be it at work or out with friends or in the pub.I think it can help people understand what we have to do to stay alive.some times people ask what i am doing and i explain and quite often i get i did not you were diabetic,the more you can do to educate people the better i think.Never hide it.

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
I never used to do it in public because I was a little paranoid about what people think. Used to go the toilets or something. I do now though unless the place is extremely packed. People cant help staring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it in public because its necessary too survive.

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no issues at all with injecting in public. At work, I prefer to inject at my desk rather than the first aid room as I can eat my lunch 20seconds earlier lol. I'm a new diabetic, but don't like the thought of injecting in a toilet - if I wouldn't eat there, I won't inject there. I get more looks when testing my blood than injecting. Was at a christening a few weeks ago (first outing with friends since diagnosis) and had tested, injected and started eating when a friend asked if I needed to inject first - sitting at a crammed table and not one person noticed haha!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sit at table, order food, prick finger, inject as required. Don't make a fuss over it. Has to be done :smug:... Eat and enjoy.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I just don't care anymore and inject where ever I need to. When my boss is bothering me around lunchtime I tend to start preparing my injection kit and it sends him packing :)

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I will inject anywhere if I need to. It has never really been an issue with me though I don't do it if there are young children that can see.

Buses, tube trains and only last week I injected walking down the high road (mind you where I live most people are doing something!).

If people get offended then why do they continue to stare when you do it. Always found that odd !

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hated injected in public I was bullied for years because Done an injection a birthday party group of 15 boys spread about where I lived telling everybody that I was an addict or I was a dealer they stole my food After I had injected or stole my injections from my bag when I was ordering food it became more like a phobia I hated it I couldn't inject in public and I hate injecting front of anybody I hate people knowing that I even had diabetes I hated it so much I stopped eating i stopped injecting I refused to take my insulant I refused to be a diabetic I ended up with diabetic neuropathy at the age of 19 doctors telling me that I wasn't going to walk again I was four and a half stone. Saint Georges Hospital gave me an insulin pump so nobody had to know and it change my life it gave me confidence and the ability to control my diabetes