SWEETENERS

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hello can anyone recommend a Sweetner for use in a coffee, before type 1 I use to love a coffee and I still like the very occasional cup but I substitute it for food to have two spoonfuls of normal sugar, there must be something else, I can't stand the little tablet sweetners they make it disgusting?

Reactions: 2 people

MidnightStar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Canderel, splender and Hermasetas (please excuse the spelling) all do granulated sweetener

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Sounds good, do they contain any carbs at all?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi, Initially most sweeteners don't taste great, but pick one and stick with it, I use Sweetex, as it is a reasonable price.
( Don't know if its available there).but just select one brand
You will find after a while, a week or two, you will get used to the taste, then you ok.
Or try without sugar, but ive never got that right, I would rather give coffee up
;)
Good luck

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, Initially most sweeteners don't taste great, but pick one and stick with it, I use Sweetex, as it is a reasonable price.
( Don't know if its available there).but just select one brand
You will find after a while, a week or two, you will get used to the taste, then you ok.
Or try without sugar, but ive never got that right, I would rather give coffee up
;)
Good luck
Yuk sweetex I could never master the taste buds for that one the same as coffee without any thing double yuk. I think I'll see what the carb values are in the mentioned granulated ones are:p

MidnightStar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs in the Hermesetas are 97g per 100g or per serving of 0.5g they are 0.49g

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Sweet Leaf Stevia Drops I've heard they are nice in Tea /Coffee etc, Try it and tell me what you think, i've wanted to try it for ages i may get some if you like it. Not that you are a quinine pig or anything :) There is also a toffee and plain one. I think you can get it on amazon too.

edit: actually tell a fib there are loads of flavs but its a bit expensive>>> amazon

Last edited by a moderator:

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you brewing your coffee?
Well brewed coffee (even espresso) doesn't require sugar if prepared well

What coffee are you using?
Is it freshly ground or pre-ground?

I run a forum dedicated to coffee - Coffee Forums UK - and have helped dozens of people (maybe even hundreds) ditch the sugar from their coffee

Reactions: 4 people

Janiept

Expert
Yuk sweetex I could never master the taste buds for that one the same as coffee without any thing double yuk. I think I'll see what the carb values are in the mentioned granulated ones are:p
I completely agree and could never stomach a drink made with Sweetex, but then discovered Candarel which I find acceptable. Then.............I read that they are not good for your health so this week bought my first pack of Stevia, which are sitting on the shelf waiting to be tried. Stevia are made from a natural plant and much healthier apparently so fingers crossed.

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello can anyone recommend a Sweetner for use in a coffee, before type 1 I use to love a coffee and I still like the very occasional cup but I substitute it for food to have two spoonfuls of normal sugar, there must be something else, I can't stand the little tablet sweetners they make it disgusting?
Try using double cream in your coffee instead - it removes the need for sugar or sweetener!

Reactions: 12 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How are you brewing your coffee?
Well brewed coffee (even espresso) doesn't require sugar if prepared well

What coffee are you using?
Is it freshly ground or pre-ground?

I run a forum dedicated to coffee - Coffee Forums UK - and have helped dozens of people (maybe even hundreds) ditch the sugar from their coffee
Mmm we use gold blend which I really like and we have a Tassimo I've tried 50% of their flavours but I still come back to Cappuccino which is fairly sweet anyway, but there's a few others that are not to bad but not sweet enough...

Missy Cat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from sweetex to Truvia. I wanted to remove aspartame from my diet and many of the sweeteners contain this. I love the taste and a little sprinkled on my weetabix it is lovely... It has the same texture as sugar.

Reactions: 14 people

Le Imigrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi like you I need a little sweetner in coffee dont know but have you tried Sweetex I use that not after taste

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found as I reduced to zip the amount of sugar I add to things a lot of foods suddenly seemed really sweet to me.. onion soup is now way too sweet. which is sad. I now find milk in coffee is impossible... and I used to be a double cream with a couple of sugars in a cup.... try to reduce slowly and before you know it you'll wonder why you added anything to coffee.... it is lovely as it is.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found as I reduced to zip the amount of sugar I add to things a lot of foods suddenly seemed really sweet to me.. onion soup is now way too sweet. which is sad. I now find milk in coffee is impossible... and I used to be a double cream with a couple of sugars in a cup.... try to reduce slowly and before you know it you'll wonder why you added anything to coffee.... it is lovely as it is.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only use Stevia but many brands though they are called that still contain artificial sweetners ( read the small print)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty much any of them, i just use the cheap tablets out of Tesco Sweelex, no effect on my BS