Newly diagnosed T1

EquineDude

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, my name is Shane and I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes on the 12th of January 2015.

I am nearly 39 years old, and about 3 weeks prior had started excessive urination (every hour during the day) and excessive thirst, lost 8kg in almost a month. Went to GP with urine sample and had excessive blood glucose and ketones in urine. BG monitor showed a 24. Was sent to hospital for overnight obs and drip.

My BG levels monitored every two hours through the night.

I was initially started on 8 units of Novomix 30 twice a day, but BG was consistantly between 12 and 17. Two days later DN advised increasing dose to 10 twice a day. This dropped BG to between 11 and 15. Two days later increased to 12 and then to 14. The BG levels have steadily dropped from mid-teens over the past two weeks until the past 5 days where I have been averaging between 6.8 and 12.

I suspect the higher levels of BG in the past few days have been me experimenting with what foods I can and cannot eat. The dietician and DN both recommended an increase in starchy carbs, pastas, potatoes, etc.

It is suspected that I developed T1 diabetes from a bout of hand foot mouth disease a friend's child kindly passed on to our toddler and then passed on to me about 3 months before being diagnosed with T1 diabetes. no history of diabetes ever in my family.

I'm pretty comfortable with the monitoring and injecting now, just trying to find out what I can and cannot eat, etc.

I do however catch myself thinking to myself at least once a day: "Why me. Why did it have to happen to me". I know it's a selfish thought, as it could have been much worse, but I expect it is a common thought when it could be attributed to a common viral infection. My wife lost her mother two years ago to diabetic related complications, so this has hit pretty close to home for both of us.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi E.D nice to see you.

I am 3 months in and also started on Novomix 30. (I'm now on Humalog Mix 25). Your introduction to diabetes is identical my own but I hadn't been on here very long before I realised that NHS advice is pretty poor. And as for INCREASING carbs, well I'd better not say anything more for the moment.

Can I suggest that you have a good look around at the diets advocated by many people on this website, where carbs are reduced (to almost negligible amounts in some cases.) Our bodies being very efficient, turn carbs into sugar - the last thing you need as a diabetic. The NHS don't seem to quite get this somewhat fundamental issue.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Carbohydrate-diets.html

Post up questions, you'll get a lot of help from experienced people on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Good luck with finding a suitable diet for yourself. Testing and more testing is the order of the day! It will also help if you keep a food diary, including carb portion sizes and record your levels alongside. This will help you learn as patterns will emerge.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum :)

We have all asked the question ''why me'' so your not alone, once you get use to the injections your diabetes team will no doubt move you over to a basal/bolus insulin regime (Google), this is much better approach as it gives you a greater flexibility around meal times, so you can even miss a meal, eat when you want and eat as little carbs as you wish.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Many of us have no idea why we developed diabetes. I have no family history. Apart from GAD antibodies, as you indicate some viruses can destroy islet cells. If you look around this forum you will not find anyone of us recommending increasing the carbs. Why would we want to add to the excess glucose already circulating in our blood; simples as they say. Your meter will soon show you that lowering your carbs reduces your blood sugar. As Noblehead says, after a while you should be offered the Basal/Bolus insulin regime with carb-counting same as I'm on. It gives you complete control but does involve two insulins and one or two more injections per day.

EquineDude

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I could not understand the increasing carbs myself. (I'm from a veterinary background, so have dealt in Diabetes in animals before)

I would notice I would have two slices of wholemeal toast, slight amount of light margerine and my BG would shoot up. Hence my wondering why they advocate increased carbs. I skipped breakfast the other morning and my BG was a nice 6.6, morning before on toast had been 12.1!

I've downloaded the App as well with diets, going to look at that as well for low carb diets.

I have my first diabetic clinic next month, so will have more data for when I see them.

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi there and welcome, I was diagnosed exactly a year before you lol. Even now after over 12 months with diabetes I still find myself asking why me? Things do become easier and those thoughts eventually become less and less. I to started on novomix 30 but this didn't work so i switched to basal bolus regime within a couple of weeks. Congrats on finding us so early (it took me months to find these guys) any questions you have, don't be shy just ask away. Even if you just need a good rant on those 'off' days we're here to listen and hopefully help out

Reactions: 2 people

Missy Cat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

Again, same situation for me. Your diagnosis sounds very similar to mine. Diagnosed in October at 38 years "young" with no family history. I am still asking why me and I don't think I have still accepted my condition.

Currently on basal-bolus regime and if I'm honest not doing the bolus too well as I am frightened of the hypos. I am carb counting now to try help. The hypos are worse than I thought they would be, I am still shocked with how I feel afterwards. Death warmed up springs to mind!

However I am finding the forum useful and very informative. Everyone has been kind and it's good to be able to communicate with others who understand.

We are not alone!

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm another one who was diagnosed with type 1 aged 39 with no family history. I'm quite a "glass half full" type of person so tend to think I did pretty well getting neatly to 40 without any major health issues. I look around and see the youngsters who are having to deal with diabetes and others with different health conditions and think I've faired ok so far.

Don't get me wrong, I do get days when I get p1ssed off with all the testing, injecting and being a faddy eater.

Reactions: 2 people