Glucolab meter

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have received a letter today from my GP stating they are changing my meter and now will only prescribe strips and lancets for this glucolab meter.

Has anyone been using this meter and what are people s opinion of it.

Thanks
Claudette

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sorry i havn,t used that one

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It Needs a much larger blood drop than most other test strips. It is from the same Korean source as the Element meter that had very poor accuracy in a independent test report comparing 43 meters.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Liked the design but it lacked accuracy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried it out of fairness when my practice switched, but found it inaccurate. In my opinion, it is not suitable for insulin users as it gives a consistently higher reading . So you can be having full blown hypo symptoms and according to the meter, your bloods are in the normal range :confused: . As I bolus using a BG reading as part of the calculation for dosage, I found I was hypo more often ( but not according to the **** meter :banghead: )

It also wasted a lot of test strips due to error messages, and the strips come in tubs of 25, not 50. So my first script was for 25 strips, which last me only a few days .

I did argue for the reinstation of my Contour XT strips, using evidence from my readings before and after using the Glucolab, and had assistance from my hospital DSN who prescribed the Contour . My strips were changed back to the Contour ones and a minimum amount of 200 .

I'm my opinion, as a cost saver, this meter doesn't save money due to the unacceptably high wastage of test strips. For use with insulin calculations, it is dangerous . To be fair, my practice have taken my concerns on board , and will not be prescribing this model as a standard one any more, instead prescribing the Wavesense Jazz. I understood from my meeting with the practice manager, that there is some flexibility in allowing insulin users to continue using their current meter if it is on a list of cost effective meters. Contour and the Freestyle are OK, but one I remember not being on that list was the Accucheck Mobile .

Of course, it's different in each area:rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi I have received a letter today from my GP stating they are changing my meter and now will only prescribe strips and lancets for this glucolab meter.

Has anyone been using this meter and what are people s opinion of it.

Thanks
Claudette

Hi
This is the only meter ive ever had given from my gp. So I don't know any different, It appears to have been fine for me. Im a good bleeder too. (Just looking at comment further down about needing more blood). :)

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well as per the letter I received it indicated that they will only prescribe strips for the meter they are providing. Getting my strips privately will cost an arm and a leg

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well as per the letter I received it indicated that they will only prescribe strips for the meter they are providing. Getting my strips privately will cost an arm and a leg

Depending on which meter you are using now, you may still be able to get the strips on prescription, but only if you ask . Shy bairns get nowt ;)

Signy

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used the aviva nano for years. apparently they are changing everybody's