Sweet dreams

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Not often I write on here but I wondered if anybody else had these kind of experiences.

Sometimes I go to bed and I end up having a little too much cereal and wake up in the morning with a blood sugar above 10. Thats fine, I know my problem, need to cut down on the shreddies or even go without if the blood sugars high enough. The thing I've noticed though, each time I have a night of high blood sugars I end up having a very vivid dream. I dont usually remember dreams much but now I've noticed everytime I have high BS in the morning I wake up and the dream is still with me for most the morning. Another thing I've noticed is I feel really tired when the blood sugars above 10 and its difficult to wake me but thats pretty understandable.

Just wondered does anybody else get the dreams when they're in high blood sugars?

Adrian

sandymaynard

Hi Adrian,
HAve you had any emotional problems of late?
I suffer with vivid dreams, everybody does to a certain point! Sometimes we remeber dreams, my worst dream i remember is running down a hospital ward and it was never ending never stopped getting longer! The faster i ran the longer the ward got!
It is a case that vivid dreams can be caused by different things, emotional trauma, physical trauma, abuse, memories that you wish to forget, grief!
Sometimes it is just the case of good old brain playing tricks on us! I found that shreddies or any breakfast ceral shoots my Bg through the roof!
have you tried going for a bath about a hour before bed! I find a bath helps lowers my Bg!
When the brain and body have not rested during the night it is normal to struggle to get up as your body is screaming, no i have not slept enough let me sleep!
As mad as it sounds this could be the reason why you struggle to wake up! When you have a bad nightmare you baody can kick out and you move alot, this means that your body is not getting rested to be able to carry on with the rest of the day!
Hope thsi makes some sort of sense to you!
Sandy

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dont really have any emotional problems, or not lately! The dreams I've been having are dreams and not nightmares, can't even remember the last time I had a bad dream. You sound like you've had a few horror story nightmares though.
For supper I've been trying to reduce the amount I have, I only recently converted to four needles instead of two so its difficult not having that lovely big bowl to get me through the night. Since on four though I've not had one nighttime hypo so things are good. I've found there are a few cereals I can get away with having due to their low carbs per bowl, e.g. rice crispies, oat crisp, corn flakes, or generally anything light and flakey aslong as its a small bowl.
I put the restlessness down to both the active (happy) dreams and the high blood sugar since I when I have high blood sugar before bed I get to sleep really easily.

Thanks for the reply

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So am I the only one to get high blood sugar dreams? Is my theory flawed? Hmmm

sandymaynard

Hi
are you a type 1?
My mum is type 1 she says she has dreams she remembers when her blood sugars are high!
Maybe you are suffering the same as her!

chocoholic

I have always been one for very vivid dreams. I have premonition dreams too.....that tsunami....fires...twin towers.......people dying.....and I also have very 'odd' dreams that even a psychologist probably couldn't fathom out ....don't ask...... :lol: I also have dreams that have me doing odd things in my sleep but then I'll wake up doing them.....for instance I can clearly remember loudly asking one of my sons to stand still whilst I wiped his nose.....only to wake up wiping my startled husband's nose with a tissue! :lol: It could have been worse. My son was potty training at the time! As for dreams being linked to high blood sugars.....hmmm.....I've never really thought about that.My most vivid dreams were pre-diagnosis, so probably not the case with me.
If I was a drinker, I think folks would be more likley to bet on that being the cause of my odd night-time behaviour.It's very entertaining in house!!!

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I'm a type 1 diabetic. Last night went to bed with a small bowl of oat crisp and low blood sugar and woke up low too, 7. Couldnt remember anykind of dream and actually got up early on saturday. Gonna try and do the same tonight and see if I wake up fresh with no dream memory. Its a shame though that I have to get high sugars to remember my dreams... some were quite nice :wink:

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
hi all, i too have very vivid dreams which i remember when i awake.i dream every night and my partner :roll: :roll: :roll: who is not diabetic says he doesnt dream.I remember everything in my dreams.Some mornings i wake up and i feel so tired even if ive been in bed since say 9.30pm.I try to check my blood sugars before my supper and no matter if they are low.normal,high before my sleep i still have vivid dreams.They only time i dont dream is if i have a drink of wine before bedtime!!Then my mind started thinking "could this be my lantus?"I would love to know if anyone else has these things like dreams and strange tired feelings when they wake up.This lantus has not been out for that long and none of us know what the side effects are if any.

lilibet

I dont know how much is related to high bg but I too have vivid dreams. They were very bizarre in the weeks after dx but I suspect it was stress

Howver, a bg of 10 or over will absolutely wipe me out. If i go hyper at work after lunch (often happens, ****** premixed insulin -long story) then I can be found slumped over my desk.
I feel so bad that I dont actually need to test to see cause the symptoms are the same -yawn,runny nose, sore legs. Weird but there you are
When I have tested, its ALWAYS been over.

So, waking to that, having been that during the night will leave you starting your day feeling grotty. So, the moral of the story - chuck the cereal at night. I usuall have toast and peanut butter, or toast and cheese (burgen). Burgen is slow release, peanut butter and cheese are fatty so slow it down.

Trinkwasser

chocoholic said:
I have premonition dreams too.....

You too?

Unfortunately mine are usually pretty trivial, I find I dreamed something I subsequently see on TV or similar. They've become so common they don't phase me any more. Now if I could predict something useful . . .

. . . the main influence on my dreams is antidepressants. On SSRIs I usually had technicolour dreams which unfold like a movie in which I was not involved. On Effexor I actually participate.

Had a weird one the other morning. There was a long boring coucil meeting and I went out with someone for a walk in the garden. Then I started to hear a call for votes over the Tannoy

"Fourth call! Fourth call!"

Didn't know what had happened to the previous calls. While trying to get back into the building I woke up and this bloody collared dove was bellowing in through my window "Coo-COOO! Coo-COOO!"

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies. Premonition dreams... interesting... I'm sure I've had a few just relating to normal daily things I do like going to work, college etc.

Burgen bread... Might have to try some of that! Especially with the peanut butters, low GI for the win!

Here's a link to some other scary discussions and theories on the topic.
http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2008/08/because_i_got_high.html
https://www.dlife.com/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9852&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And the dreams continue (that is when I've had the high sugar), nothing scary yet though. :)

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had been alright and rarely remembered my dreams until 2 weeks ago when I had my first night hypo. I dropped low and everything seems very vivid and frantic until my body wakes me up. One I had the other night gave me a headache all day because I had been so stressed in the dream and I couldn't shake it!

Louise

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
nothing to do with hypos but i do have extremely vivid dreams every single time i sleep :?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the opposite (typical!), weird dreams usually mean I'm hypo. Not aware of dreams at all if I'm high, just a really good uninterrupted night's sleep. If I'm around 5 or lower I only sleep about an hour at a time.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TROUBR - Have you had a severe hypo seizure before? It might be possible that you fitted during your sleep? I've had a fair few now and the nighttime ones happened fairly often when I was on mixed insulin.

After a severe hypo I've usually got a sore head most the day, forgetful, sore limbs all over too. I live with my parents so they're with me once I've had a fit, but I wake up and I've no clue I've had one until they tell me.

As a rule I dont usually go sleep if its anything below 8 unless I've had a snack/cereal. Its not too bad though since its only the remains of the lantus working me thru the night.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
adrian29459 said:
TROUBR - Have you had a severe hypo seizure before? It might be possible that you fitted during your sleep? I've had a fair few now and the nighttime ones happened fairly often when I was on mixed insulin.

No I don't think so - I think my hubby would have noticed. :?

I have been T1 for a year and only started having night hypos last week - a combination of new diet and evening aerobics class. I was 2.9 the first one and the other ones were in the 3's with which I have just woken up in my natural sleep cycle and not been able to get back to sleep which I have now realised is a sign for me.

I think I just need to review my ratio's and have less insulin on exercise nights!

I try not to go to bed too low but as I often eat after my son is in bed at around 8 ish and my insulin doesn't kick in until about 3 hours later by which time I am in bed asleep as I am up at 5.45 most day. therefore my nighttime reading is sometimes misleading. :?