FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - I'm on my third one over compeed and no reactions at all so far (which is a massive improvement as they were properly eating big holes into my arms before) other than a teeny tiny patch where I went over the edge of the compeed last time.

I guess it might not last forever, but am pretty optimistic about this being my solution...

@misswhiplash - that's really good news! Could I ask a couple of details please?

What type of Compeed are you using?
What size Compeed do you use?
Do you insert the needle through it or do you make a hole in it first?

Thanks

Smidge

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@misswhiplash - that's really good news! Could I ask a couple of details please?

What type of Compeed are you using?
What size Compeed do you use?
Do you insert the needle through it or do you make a hole in it first?

Thanks

Smidge

Yup, of course!

The normal blister plasters (though someone else on the FB site has switched to Compeed Extreme - or whatever they're called - with similar success) in the green plastic packs - from Boots or wherever...

The ones I'm using are called medium - they're the oval shaped ones (for heels, I assume) and are just a bit bigger width-ways than the Libre.

No hole - I just shoot through. This is the scary part. It's been successful so far, as far as I can tell. There have mostly been no problems, though very first one I tried like this failed after 5 days - I suspect it was non compeed related, but there's no real way to tell!

Reactions: 2 people

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, of course!

The normal blister plasters (though someone else on the FB site has switched to Compeed Extreme - or whatever they're called - with similar success) in the green plastic packs - from Boots or wherever...

The ones I'm using are called medium - they're the oval shaped ones (for heels, I assume) and are just a bit bigger width-ways than the Libre.

No hole - I just shoot through. This is the scary part. It's been successful so far, as far as I can tell. There have mostly been no problems, though very first one I tried like this failed after 5 days - I suspect it was non compeed related, but there's no real way to tell!

This sounds like great news, are you able to post a link to the correct Compeed plaster that you are using? Did you get them on the internet or in a chemist?

Many Thanks

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those are the ones - I just got mine from Boots...
Thank you. So just to clarify, you stick the Compeed on your arm and then apply the sensor over the top of the Compeed and they both stay stuck on Ok for 14 days? Do you use any Opsite over the top as well?

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. So just to clarify, you stick the Compeed on your arm and then apply the sensor over the top of the Compeed and they both stay stuck on Ok for 14 days? Do you use any Opsite over the top as well?
Exactly.
The last one stayed on for the whole 14 days, though the edges of the compeed were a bit peely for the last few. I taped the previous one in about day 10 just to make sure!
The sensor sticks very very hard to the compeed, so it's just a matter of making sure the compeed survives the 14 days.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly.
The last one stayed on for the whole 14 days, though the edges of the compeed were a bit peely for the last few. I taped the previous one in about day 10 just to make sure!
The sensor sticks very very hard to the compeed, so it's just a matter of making sure the compeed survives the 14 days.

Thanks again, off to Boots later, fingers crossed. I will post any results (positive or otherwise).

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again, off to Boots later, fingers crossed. I will post any results (positive or otherwise).

Hi Andy,

I was intending to buy some Compeeds but use one on its own for 14 days to make sure my arm can tolerate that adhesive before attempting to put a sensor on top.

Smidge

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, of course!

I tried the Compeed patch yesterday and I'm sad to say the needle didn't go through the patch. Did you employ any technique with attaching it?, I can't say I'm feeling confident at trying again at £50 a pop :(.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the Compeed patch yesterday and I'm sad to say the needle didn't go through the patch. Did you employ any technique with attaching it?, I can't say I'm feeling confident at trying again at £50 a pop :(.

Eek - that's not good... No, I've not had any problems (and don't think I do anything different) - sorry :(

FINMAN

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi darrenh04 & others,

I'm Finnish reader of this diabetes forum. I got involved with this site when trying to find info of this new FSLibre. Unfortunately it's not on sale in Finland and so far no actions been made to have it over here. I'm a father of 18 year old kid who has been diabetic since he was six.
Diabetes is on control and kid is doing pretty well. He trains and compete in tennis and that is one reason he has been waiting for this kind of device to come on market. Nowdays kid is taking 15+ blood measurement every day and it's really annoying him.
So if You still have this device with sensors and you want to get rid of them we would really be interested of buying and testing!
Hopefully this writing do not break any rules of this forum but if it does I'm sorry and will end the conversation.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As some will remeber I started with the Libre when it first came out. Not impressed with it for a number reasons but lack of accuracy and 50% sensor failure meant I stopped using it. Not helped by Abbot still not answering my written questions and a saleswoman taking an invite to a meeting with my DSN to make a sales pitch to the DSN. Not impressed.

Still, 2 sensor spare so I put one on ready for the annual appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks,

Lets see.... 24 hours after putting the thing on
on.jpg

Not too good. I'd decided to take it off when I saw this but It more or less fell off in the bath anyway leaving..

off.jpg

I don't pretend to understand that but I'd guess better off than on Another 50 quid wasted.

Yet another call to Abbott in the morning I guess, what a waste of time. I really wanted my consultant to see the Libre results as I keep having overnight hypos. Oh well, I guess I have to see if the NHS will fund me a real CGM for a few weeks I suppose.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@igmr - that is really shocking. You poor thing. I sent pictures of my arm to Abbott when I got a bad skin reaction - nowhere near as bad as yours, though, - they haven't even bothered to get back in touch with me. I am actually scared to use any more. I haven't used Libra for about 6 weeks and I still have marks. I was just starting to think about using it again over a Compeed plaster, but I might think again on that! I think you should see your doctor.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@igmr, given the nature of that bruise, it looks like you pushed too hard on the applicator when you put the sensor in.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my gosh that's a bad reaction after 24 hours! *touch wood* I've been using mine from launch without a reaction, but I've been giving myself a day off in between sensors. Not sure if that's helped as usually im quite sensitive. Might take a couple of weeks off next time, maybe we all should.

If you get these slow building allergies, do you ever "grow out" of them again?

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Met with my DSN yesterday. She was very interested in all the feedback people have been giving.

She said I'm only one of two patients they have who have used the libre so the info is valuable.

One of their team did get a Libre to try prerelease but he only had one sensor and wasn't diabetic.

I saw they had a Libre "Why prick. . " poster up which made my laugh. Had to shed a little light on that not being a very accurate statement.

I did say it was a great device, but with issues. Mentioned it has helped me a great deal but probably not really quite there as a long term solution.

Reactions: 4 people