Whats the most amount of fast acting insulin you've injected to cover a meal?

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a dominos pizza a couple of months back, ended up injecting about 25 units altogether, my blood sugars were still rising 3-4 hours later

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Had a dominos pizza a couple of months back, ended up injecting about 25 units altogether, my blood sugars were still rising 3-4 hours later

I don't eat pizza, but I have never taken that amount of Insulin with anything.:eek: Highest probably about 10 or 11 units.

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was near christmas, had like 3 lazy days where i hardly moved from the sofa, on the 3rd day i had a dominos pizza, my insulin doesnt hardly seem to work unless im active, i injected 10 units before, i checked my blood sugars 2 hours later they was 15mmol, injected another 5 units, checked an hour later and my sugars were about 19mmol, they had gone up?, so i got frustrated and injected another 10 units, checked an hour later and my bs was about 8mmol, hardly worth it for a pizza right?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was near christmas, had like 3 lazy days where i hardly moved from the sofa, on the 3rd day i had a dominos pizza, my insulin doesnt hardly seem to work unless im active, i injected 10 units before, i checked my blood sugars 2 hours later they was 15mmol, injected another 5 units, checked an hour later and my sugars were about 19mmol, they had gone up?, so i got frustrated and injected another 10 units, checked an hour later and my bs was about 8mmol, hardly worth it for a pizza right?

I think your right there, Pizza was a bit of a trouble maker for you :oops: pleased you did manage to get it down though :)

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Years ago I remember injecting 32 units in a single dose as 'I felt a bit high'...I wasn't testing at the time but just felt all the usual symptoms of being hyper.

The scary part for me is that I didn't go low, or hypo or have any adverse reactions to doing so...I just felt less high. I'd hate to think what my BG actually was at that point for 32u to make me feel OK and have no adverse effects? :confused:

In my uneducated days I'd regularly inject 20+ units as a correction...thinking myself to be uber-insulin-resistant as my lantus wasn't doing what it was supposed to - when I went to the DAFNE course I found out I wasn't the only person there who thought this and the initial advice of 'no more than 4u as a normal correction' seemed nuts! However, they turned out to be correct so haven't had a big dose like that in quite some time...thankfully!

Reactions: 4 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
10.5 is the most I've injected and i werent best pleased;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think I've ever injected more than about 10u of fast acting! And that was related to cake.

Boldierob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carnt think of anything to dislike lol
16 units for my tea last night all it was egg fried rice meatballs and 3 slices of bread :/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
5 units and that's a lot for me :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
40 odd, back when injecting...............

was likely a pizza and before I discovered splitting doses.........

I have even been in the 30s on the pump, my evening meal insulin carb ratio is 1:5 though, so double the normal 1 unit for every 10g..........:)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
13 units but the majority of it was because I had a high blood sugar. Mine never usually goes above 10 units.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
For the amount of dominoes carb you nom-nomed your way through that is probably about right, a packed xl dominoes pizza looks like it has around 400 big gzzzz of carb in. If i was to eat a whole one i'd have to wack in about 29 units of novorapid to cope with the rise in bg. nom nom nom... whats their telephone number again?

Christmas is always a daft one for me, all the HC food and baileys and beer and chocs on the tree, temptation is too much, i think i had about a 20 novomix in the morning and a 10 of rapid in the early afternoon as the feasting starts and another 15 in the eve as i see the bg going up and i don't think it even leveled until the next day when i stopped feeling sick, overindulgence big time.

Last edited by a moderator:

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I run about 5g carbs to 1 unit of novorapid.

On pancake day I decided to treat myself with proper pancakes with sugar and lemon, figured 90g carbs for two so injected 18 units..

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1424356057.987873.jpg

Worked out alright :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well there was the occasion (described in another thread) when I inadvertently put a Humalog cartridge in my Lantus pen & injected about 34 units.
Plus my normal humalog as well!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well there was the occasion (described in another thread) when I inadvertently put a Humalog cartridge in my Lantus pen & injected about 34 units.
Plus my normal humalog as well!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

What happened ? Were you ok eventually ?

Signy

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8.5 units of Novorapid... I was at a resturant and ordered the fish and chips.. and when i checked their nutritional information i found the meal total was somehwere around 150g of carbs :/

I took it 20 minutes before the meal as per usual, but it turned out to work as advertised and i never went about 7mmol/L... It was really scary at the time haha

However, i think my honeymoon phase is over, so i am expecting to be needing much more insulin then normal from now on.. maybe i can beat that record soon!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

What happened ? Were you ok eventually ?

Signy

Yes eventually.
I swigged Lucozade like it was going out of fashion & force fed myself food.
I asked a friend to come round, thinking that if I lost consciousness he would dial 999.
He was very nervous though & persuaded me to call NHS 111. They were pretty useless & said I should go to A&E, which we did.
By the time I got there my BGs were beginning to pick up & we just sat & chatted for an hour or so. It was somewhat embarrassing but everyone was very understanding. In the end I had sorted it out myself - the Dexcom was invaluable!

Needless to say I check & double check my pen cartridges now..

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes eventually.
I swigged Lucozade like it was going out of fashion & force fed myself food.
I asked a friend to come round, thinking that if I lost consciousness he would dial 999.
He was very nervous though & persuaded me to call NHS 111. They were pretty useless & said I should go to A&E, which we did.
By the time I got there my BGs were beginning to pick up & we just sat & chatted for an hour or so. It was somewhat embarrassing but everyone was very understanding. In the end I had sorted it out myself - the Dexcom was invaluable!

Needless to say I check & double check my pen cartridges now..

Scarey scarey :(:confused: I'm glad you ended up OK ! I have come SO close to doing the same thing, back in Ye Darke Ages when both pens were the same design and colour. I've got to the point of having dialled the dose then for some reason checked the cartridge , ( which I should have done anyway, duh !:rolleyes: )

Signy

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankfully my basal/bolus insulins have always had different pens and cartridges.. the original Lantus pen I had was ungainly and weird with a digital display for unit counter (was considered very hi-tech at the time!) and my bolus has either been Actrapid in the past & now Novorapid so I've thankfully never been able to mix the pens/cartridges up as they've never fitted in to the other pens.

Given I was injecting out-of-date insulin about a year ago though I can absolutely guarantee if I had of been able to mix them up I would have though! Lol!

Glad your one got sorted @DunePlodder - sounds like you had your head screwed on nice and tight that night despite the mistook! =)