Why do diabetics have high cholesterol?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Now I'm curious again! Why on earth are you on a comparably high dose of statins if you don't have problems with high cholesterol?

I was prescribed them a long time ago by my doctor, I didn't have high cholesterol so I didn't take them. In a pre admission exam at the hospital I gave them all the medication I took. I said that I didn't take the statin and was asked why so I explained the reason and he said there are many other benefits to statin than just cholesterol so I started taking them.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
yes they are different but the liver can convert and does through a complex process. This process goes wrong in diabetics. Sugar (as in sprinkle on you cornflakes) is 50% fructose and 50% glucose. Look at the polyol pathway. Have a listen to this
video at about 17.5 mins in
Fascinating Andrew. Thanks. So many great Australian/NZ blood chemists! Such great,clear presentations.

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
You can read a simplified explanation here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyol_pathway

Basis of the issue (paraphrashed)
  • The cells of the retinas,kidneys and nervous tissues are insulin-independent.
  • The cells will use glucose for energy as normal, and any glucose not used for energy will enter the polyol pathway.
  • In a hyperglycemic state, the affinity of aldose reductase for glucose rises (at normal levels the affinity is very low)
  • causing an accumulation of sorbitol in the cells
  • This sorbitol cannot pass through the cell membrane
  • This sorbitol is processed further to fructose and removed from the cells (the next stage of the polyol pathway)
  • This fructose is then processed in the liver affecting trig and VLDL levels.
This is one of the processes that it is thought that nerves, kidneys and eyes are damaged by high blood glucose levels. Remember the uptake by these cells is unregulated by insulin and once it has produced fructose that fructose is also unregulated by the action of insulin and also "turns off" your leptin receptors so you have a desire to eat more. It is all a nasty viscous circle. Low carb helps to short circuit this by keeping BG levels at normal levels (or there abouts).

That is why you generate more fructose as a diabetic than as a norm. You sit in an increased blood glucose level for much longer than a norm.

Well I hope that makes sense when you read it
Kinda, thanks. This is intriguing > "Each of these imbalances can damage cells; in diabetes there are several acting together. It has not been conclusively determined that activating the polyol pathway damages microvasculature."

G

graj0

Totto - what are the other benefits of statins?
The list is growing, I was even told by my GP that it prevents any plaque that may have built up from "breaking away" from the wall of the artery and forming a blockage somewhere else. As that is not an intended use of the drug and I've never seen it mentioned in the literature, it would seem to be a very fortunate "side effect".
It really is a personal choice thing, if you feel that lowering your cholesterol to below 4 is good for you and that you don't have the well documented side effects (Merck Pharmaceutical mentions the muscle pain in their 1990 patent application), that's fine. But when the side affects are causing you serious problems then you have a choice, that only you can take.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Have a read of Jimmy Moore's 'Cholesterol Clarity'. Statins are for the most part a very blunt instrument that go for a symptom not a cause and can create significant collateral damage along the way. Oh, I forgot, they make a fortune in profits for BigPharma.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed them a long time ago by my doctor, I didn't have high cholesterol so I didn't take them. In a pre admission exam at the hospital I gave them all the medication I took. I said that I didn't take the statin and was asked why so I explained the reason and he said there are many other benefits to statin than just cholesterol so I started taking them.
I'm also on a statin for other benefits, but it's normally a low dose
have you had your cholesterol/lipids checked since you have been on them?

this study looked at the history of 60,000 Diabetics after av. 2.7

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70173-1/abstract

retinopathy HR=0.6 [decrease of risk]

neuropathy HR=0.66

gangrene of the foot HR=0.88

diabetic nephropathy HR=0.97

[neutral..........HR=1.0 ]

diabetes HR=1·17 [increase of risk]

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Yes it was 3.2 in November last year. A lot of diabetics have high blood pressure too but I dont.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it was 3.2 in November last year. A lot of diabetics have high blood pressure too but I dont.
I did get down to 2.7..my last one was 3.2 too..my trigs still sucked at 1.5..I want to bring it up to 3.5 as a min and trigs under 1
you are lucky with BP..my BP was 135/80, which was ok, but I asked for BP meds, now 120/65

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Doctor an DCN have tried to get me to take Statin for 7 years now, but are unable to explain what the benefits to me would be, My Pharmacist and friend who trained as a theatre nurse has said that taking Statins with low cholesterol(mine is 3.2) can cause brain damage, I am a bit dubious about the lack of understanding in relation to Statins and their side effects. The people paid to police these drugs also seem to lack the same information. I have spent hours trawling the Internet for answers and come up empty.

I will as a personal choice stay clear, I am also very wary that the medical profession seem to push these things on you even when your cholesterol is low

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Doctor an DCN have tried to get me to take Statin for 7 years now, but are unable to explain what the benefits to me would be, My Pharmacist and friend who trained as a theatre nurse has said that taking Statins with low cholesterol(mine is 3.2) can cause brain damage, I am a bit dubious about the lack of understanding in relation to Statins and their side effects. The people paid to police these drugs also seem to lack the same information. I have spent hours trawling the Internet for answers and come up empty.

I will as a personal choice stay clear, I am also very wary that the medical profession seem to push these things on you even when your cholesterol is low
3.2 is low, what is the lipid breakdown?
I wouldn't want to be lower and I'm trying to get mine up to 3.5,
the low dose statin is lower than a dose given for cholesterol, but I would be careful if I were you.

A

AnnieC

It's sugar. (Which carb turns into.) Just sugar. It's the root of all, etc. except for Type1s, whose bodies have turned on them. (Hey ho!)
Sorry can't agree with that because in many people high cholesterol can be hereditary. I never had a high sugar or high starchy carb diet yet some years ago it was found I did have raised cholesterol in the 6's so went on statins. My doctor said I was not typical for it and it was probably hereditary with me.My parents would not have been aware if they had high cholesterol as there was no test for it in their day