Type 1: Prescription fine

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I order my prescriptions online and they go from my GP to the pharmacy. I collect the items from the pharmacy. I haven't been asked to sign anything for years.
I do the same but have to sign for the prescription.

SandieB

Oh dear....I hope they don't check up on me....I have/had one of those little cards since way before I was diagnosed T2, because of an underactive thyroid so for a very long time I've automatically ticked that box, but for the last two years I've been over 60 and didn't realise I didn't need to pay anyway, and have still been ticking the exemption box! :oops:

SybR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were diagnosed before 2002, you had lifetime exemption from prescription charges - you didn't need an exemption certificate. The NHS BSA has NOT informed those of us diagnosed prior to 2002 that the rules have changed.

It's NOT ignorance - it's lack of communication by the NHS BSA which has started a witch hunt of Type 1 diabetics. It's bureaucracy gone mad. If you NEVER had a certificate to start with you can't be penalised for NOT having one now.

These fines are ridiculous. It's bad enough being diabetic without being criminalised.

Reactions: 8 people

SybR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quoted my 1st post rather than typing it again....

UPDATE...

My husband applied for the card and has received it, interestingly the letter says they will send a reminder when it is due for renewal in 5 years.

He has spoken to the BSA numerous times....telling them he has never had one, has never been told he needs one, and even asking hypothetically if they can only check back 2 years whats to say he didnt get one 4 1/2 years ago and its just not showing on their system but they have now said no end of he needs to pay.

His GP has drawn a blank and can't / wont do anything ( when he went in to get the form the GP said hed look into it and see if there was anything he could do which is what we've been waiting for)

Ive copied the link for Mr Jamie Reed and will email him, Our time is running out - the deadline for payment is the 23rd feb - opinions please ... do we just need to suck it up and pay?

SybR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He didn't need an exemption certificate. If you were diagnosed prior to 2002 you had lifetime exemption. It's a lack of communication by the NHS. We can't be fined for something we were not informed about.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry nut I was diagnosed in 1964 and have had an exemption certificate since I was 18.

Reactions: 4 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have just received a letter saying i have to pay a £96 fine for not having a valid medical exemption certificate. I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1998 and have never paid for prescriptions since. Nobody has ever told me about this. Has anyone else had the same thing and if so what was the outcome?
Me to
and hundreds more
The negative replies . saying its all your thought They are the people who have not been fined.
or have super memories that they can remember that one day every 5 years .but might forget there wedding anniversary
(no reminder sent).
i have been in touch with the diabetic charity input to get some support but they was no help i think the thing to do is to get up a partition and send it to a local PM ...or the health minister .
I would be happy to sign it using my user name as a forum member.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Me to
and hundreds more
The negative replies . saying its all your thought They are the people who have not been fined.
or have super memories that they can remember that one day every 5 years .but might forget there wedding anniversary
(no reminder sent).
i have been in touch with the diabetic charity input to get some support but they was no help i think the thing to do is to get up a partition and send it to a local PM ...or the health minister .
I would be happy to sign it using my user name as a forum member.
Great idea it . . . .
Surely this is part of our diabetes management ? I make a diary entry approx 30 days ahead as a reminder, and carry such reminders to the next year, if applicable. After age of 60 it lol becomes much simpler in that we all get (at the moment, but it can change) free prescriptions due to an age exemption.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you were diagnosed prior to 2002 you had lifetime exemption. It's a lack of communication by the NHS. We can't be fined for something we were not informed about.

I don't think this is true. I was diagnosed before 2002 and had a medical exemption certificate (plastic card) prior to that date.

The reason the BSA is ignoring people diagnosed before 2002 is not because they have lifetime exemption, it's because the BSA don't have the records to contact them.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed .

Why haven’t I heard about this before?
The NHS Business Services Authority (NHS BSA) issues and renews medical exemption certificates. It took over issuing reminders in 2002. If you were registered for a certificate then or have been registered since then you should receive reminders about the need to have an up to date certificate. However, if you did not have a certificate in 2002 then you will not be on the NHS BSA’s system and you will not have received any reminder letters.

Likewise, if you have moved since the last time you registered and did not update them with your address then you will also not have received any reminders. It is down to pharmacists to check you have the certificate and given everyone who uses insulin or takes medicine for their diabetes is entitled to free prescriptions checking has not always been thorough.

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have just received a letter saying i have to pay a £96 fine for not having a valid medical exemption certificate. I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1998 and have never paid for prescriptions since. Nobody has ever told me about this. Has anyone else had the same thing and if so what was the outcome?
yes me it was a shock.not knowing that the card runs out after 5 years.i have refused to pay and advised by person in the chemist and other person who it happened too.its disgusting to be made to feel like a criminal.when you know you are entitled to a freeexcemption certificate as already had one,.

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
the health service have contracted out the running of the exemption cards, so they are looking to claw back as much as possible asap,
The exemption cards only run for 5 years, the reason is to cut down on fraud use by others using a deceased's card, and other similar scams,
unfortunately as T1 we are being hammered for our ignorance of this fact, and the lack of help from G.P Practices, A good friend of mine has received 3 invoices so far and the local doctors are still dragging their heels, with regard to renewing her exemption card, get in early and push your doctor hard for the necessary clarification, and/or download and fill in forms early as these "Traffic Wardens " are merciless

Reactions: 8 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
He didn't need an exemption certificate. If you were diagnosed prior to 2002 you had lifetime exemption. It's a lack of communication by the NHS. We can't be fined for something we were not informed about.

Sorry that's not correct, I was diagnosed in 1965 and have had a certificate from the 1970's/80's it's renewed every 5 years now days though.

Nexus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I take it we all need to renew our cards? I got mine in 86 and haven't seen it for years, never been asked to produce it either.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So I take it we all need to renew our cards? I got mine in 86 and haven't seen it for years, never been asked to produce it either.
That would be no 1 priority on my list of things to do if it were me :)

Reactions: 2 people

southdownsman

Ignorance is no defence of the law. Surely you read what you sign? It's better to eat humble pie and see if you can be let off than having to cough up for the prescription. You are lucky they haven't asked for money going back to 1998 when you were diagnosed. As what you have done it's lucky you haven't been summoned and convicted of fraud.

Not only is your response uncaring and unthinking CarbsRok but it is legally inaccurate! Originally Exemption Certificates were issued for Life - it was only in 2002 that the Law was changed and Certificates were required to be renewed every 5 years - only problem was that DOH failed to inform users. I don't know your background but clearly understanding is not part of your make-up. molivers73 was at fault for not having a valid certicate - not for owing prescription charges.

Reactions: 2 people