Whats the most amount of fast acting insulin you've injected to cover a meal?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes eventually.
I swigged Lucozade like it was going out of fashion & force fed myself food.
I asked a friend to come round, thinking that if I lost consciousness he would dial 999.
He was very nervous though & persuaded me to call NHS 111. They were pretty useless & said I should go to A&E, which we did.
By the time I got there my BGs were beginning to pick up & we just sat & chatted for an hour or so. It was somewhat embarrassing but everyone was very understanding. In the end I had sorted it out myself - the Dexcom was invaluable!

Needless to say I check & double check my pen cartridges now..
Gawd. Well thank goodness you survived.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've injecting 6.5 at the most! 5.5 units is normally enough for when eating a domino's pizza!

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40 units for having sweets at the cinema ( there was a lot of fizzy sugary stuff in there)....... Didn't go hypo

Reactions: 2 people

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40! I wouldn't dare take that much!

Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you? I'm just curious as If you'd carb counted accurately and had no bolus-on-board then there is no risk in taking 40u of insulin I'm aware of, so just wondering why lots of people seem to be up in arms regarding large amounts? Not just on here mind, I trained a diabetic at work recently who was really flabbergasted that I sometimes inject 9/10 times a day for bolusing like that was a really bad thing, I've yet to be given any advice to say that it's detrimental so just wondering? =) Thanks!!

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you? I'm just curious as If you'd carb counted accurately and had no bolus-on-board then there is no risk in taking 40u of insulin I'm aware of, so just wondering why lots of people seem to be up in arms regarding large amounts? Not just on here mind, I trained a diabetic at work recently who was really flabbergasted that I sometimes inject 9/10 times a day for bolusing like that was a really bad thing, I've yet to be given any advice to say that it's detrimental so just wondering? =) Thanks!!

I understand what you're saying, and you're right to be honest. It's just that I'm newly diagnosed so I take about 4-6 units for my meals at the moment and the thought of injecting 40 units at once simply amazes me!

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
I don't think I have ever injected more than 7 units in a single shot, And I am shocked that some need 40 units in one dose, without appearing hypocyrical, is that behaving in a manner that is bad for your own health, and believe me I aint no saint, but I do want to live long

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh right, I see. That makes total sense =) I've just heard a lot of people being very concerned with large doses/high amounts of MDI recently so I was wondering what bit of info I was missing on it being a 'bad' thing to do!

Think it's just one of those preference things, a lot of the things I actually enjoy eating, both sweet and savoury are ridiculously high in carb values, so I'd rather inject lots of insulin than go without food I enjoy...if either of us is 'right' it's probably you to be honest though! Sounds like a much more sensible way to live! =)

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I have ever injected more than 7 units in a single shot, And I am shocked that some need 40 units in one dose, without appearing hypocyrical, is that behaving in a manner that is bad for your own health, and believe me I aint no saint, but I do want to live long
For goodness sake if you read my post properly, it was one time. And it'd be worse to eat that much sugar without injecting anything. I stick diligently to lchf most of the time, but surely even diabetics are allowed to treat themselves every now and then without getting their parade rained on by the diabetic police

Reactions: 9 people

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh right, I see. That makes total sense =) I've just heard a lot of people being very concerned with large doses/high amounts of MDI recently so I was wondering what bit of info I was missing on it being a 'bad' thing to do!

Think it's just one of those preference things, a lot of the things I actually enjoy eating, both sweet and savoury are ridiculously high in carb values, so I'd rather inject lots of insulin than go without food I enjoy...if either of us is 'right' it's probably you to be honest though! Sounds like a much more sensible way to live! =)

Like you said, it's a matter of choice. I'm kind of in-between. The two at the moment. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself to something sweet... As long as you remember to inject your insulin. :D :)

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to stay below 8 per meal and usually manage well on that. I would be scared to take a double figures worth of rapid.:eek:

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No my body couldn't cope with that, I think I would end up in hospital, I feel ill just thinking about it tbh :(

@Robinredbreast again as a curiosity why do you think you'd end up in hospital from a either a carb intake/insulin dose that size? Where does that belief/thinking come from? Same for yourself @coco44 ? I'm really intrigued by this now! =)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Even though we may all be type 1's ? our bodies cope differently with certain foods, I couldn't and just wouldn't do it, and i have never snacked in between meals, never done it, but certainly not an 'angel' or a goody too shoes or a low carber, last BS was 7.0.

RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast again as a curiosity why do you think you'd end up in hospital from a either a carb intake/insulin dose that size? Where does that belief/thinking come from? Same for yourself @coco44 ? I'm really intrigued by this now! =)

This is my 26th year as a type 1, I woke up today with a really bad hypo, corrected with food and had a 4.7. Lunchtime was 13, not happy but corrected. with Insulin Then had my lunch with insulin. About an or so hour later I was hypo again, ate, 20 minutes later still hypo, so more food. As I said my body can't cope with a lot of insulin, a lot to me was at lunchtime, Not a lot to others but I cannot cope with a massive amount like 40, that would scare the hell out of me.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy-85 and welcome. I have never come to terms with having Type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed nearly 4 years ago at age 55. I did not know what was happening to me because it all seemed to happen overnight. One minute I was going about my daily life working full time suddenly I was a changed person. Thirstier, thinner, confused, tired and finally ending up in hospital with DKA and nearly dying. There are no DAFNE courses in my area so everything I've learned about carb counting etc is by way of books and the wonderful people on this forum. I feel by eating too many carbs and consequently having to inject more and more insulin will do me lots of harm physically and psychologically. Daft I know but I'd feel I would be over dosing if I took high doses. :wacky:

Reactions: 4 people

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Hi Andy-85 and welcome. I have never come to terms with having Type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed nearly 4 years ago at age 55. I did not know what was happening to me because it all seemed to happen overnight. One minute I was going about my daily life working full time suddenly I was a changed person. Thirstier, thinner, confused, tired and finally ending up in hospital with DKA and nearly dying. There are no DAFNE courses in my area so everything I've learned about carb counting etc is by way of books and the wonderful people on this forum. I feel by eating too many carbs and consequently having to inject more and more insulin will do me lots of harm physically and psychologically. Daft I know but I'd feel I would be over dosing if I took high doses. :wacky:
I'm in a similar position to you, Aged 50 diagnosed t1, not overweight, healthy lifestyle choices pre T1, would consider double figures irresponsible

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'm in a similar position to you, Aged 50 diagnosed t1, not overweight, healthy lifestyle choices pre T1, would consider double figures irresponsible

I was diagnosed at 31. Type 1 is an auto immune condition which means our bodies attack our own bodies and destroy certain organs, my granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years.