Is the forum always supportive or can it sometimes seem a little oppressive?

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of curiosity, why do you eat like that? Do you consider this a healthy way to eat? I'm pretty sure there's more to health than blood glucose levels.
Actually, I eat like everyone else in the world, my point is whether I eat **** or I eat healthily, does it matter, I have good diabetic control. I am the right weight for my size. My cholesterol level at last check a week ago was 3:2.
I exercise, but not what I like to do.
I work 20hr days and my diet and my lifestyle suit.
Is it ideal? No. But we seem to have this vilification of people cause they don't eat correctly or don't exercise. Do we feel pressure from everyone to lead this saints lifestyle. Yes so instead of putting people down for their lifestyle maybe you should enquire about why instead of hell and damnation and the im better than you.

Is my diabetes under control? Yes. Is it an uphill struggle? Everyday. I always said my life 1st Diabetes 2nd. I have met diabetics who get up at 6am every morning, have a bowl of Weetabix, at 12:30 they have a ham salad sandwich. And at dinner time meat veg and potatoes. In bed by 9

I like a lie in. And for fear of diabetes killing me I certainly would not adhere to the above timetable. I enjoy my life.
If I die, I die.
I will not be vilified for my lifestyle choices.

Reactions: 8 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
10997723_825682807505214_1578603479657235772_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Actually, I eat like everyone else in the world, my point is whether I eat **** or I eat healthily, does it matter, I have good diabetic control. I am the right weight for my size. My cholesterol level at last check a week ago was 3:2.
I exercise, but not what I like to do.
I work 20hr days and my diet and my lifestyle suit.
Is it ideal? No. But we seem to have this vilification of people cause they don't eat correctly or don't exercise. Do we feel pressure from everyone to lead this saints lifestyle. Yes so instead of putting people down for their lifestyle maybe you should enquire about why instead of hell and damnation and the im better than you.

Is my diabetes under control? Yes. Is it an uphill struggle? Everyday. I always said my life 1st Diabetes 2nd. I have met diabetics who get up at 6am every morning, have a bowl of Weetabix, at 12:30 they have a ham salad sandwich. And at dinner time meat veg and potatoes. In bed by 9

I like a lie in. And for fear of diabetes killing me I certainly would not adhere to the above timetable. I enjoy my life.
If I die, I die.
Of course it makes absolutely no difference to me what you eat - why would it? I didn't mean to offend you. I suppose there was an implied vilification in my question, but that's not what I intended. Honestly, I have no personal interest in your health. However, given the title of this thread, it's almost like you posted your unhealthy diet as a challenge for someone to make an unsupportive comment. Do you expect people to provide supportive comments about that kind of a diet?

I know lots of people eat junk food and don't particularly care about their health, but I don't believe that that's the way "everyone else in the world" eats. Anyway, the gist of your response is that you don't think it's the healthiest way to eat, but you don't particularly care as long as you're not fat, your blood glucose is under control, and your cholesterol levels are good. Fair enough. I was just curious as to the why someone would choose to eat so much junk food.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you expect people to provide supportive comments about that kind of diet?
If it is not killing them, and they are not eating it to excess, ie, everything in moderation, why shouldn't they? Isn't that the point of the DAFNE course? To allow someone to eat what they want and not feel bad about it?

The 'unwritten rules for diabetics' don't say eat lchf, or no carbs. It makes sense to reduce them but if someone is able to live their life maintaining a glucose level and other health indicators that are considered to be good whilst eating what a significant portion of the population eats, why shouldn't they be supported in that?

I think it comes back to the point that diabetes is a shared name for a very personal condition.

Reactions: 9 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
People ask for advice,and kind people give their time to help on this Forum.
Its then the individuals choice to decide what is best for them.

Reactions: 13 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If it is not killing them, and they are not eating it to excess, ie, everything in moderation, why shouldn't they? Isn't that the point of the DAFNE course? To allow someone to eat what they want and not feel bad about it?

The 'unwritten rules for diabetics' don't say eat lchf, or no carbs. It makes sense to reduce them but if someone is able to live their life maintaining a glucose level and other health indicators that are considered to be good whilst eating what a significant portion of the population eats, why shouldn't they be supported in that?

I think it comes back to the point that diabetes is a shared name for a very personal condition.
I was just wondering why someone would choose to eat junk food, regardless of anything else. I know that lots of people do, since it's a big business. I was not trying to make anyone feel bad. Sorry.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
People ask for advice,and kind people give their time to help on this Forum.
Its then the individuals choice to decide what is best for them.
Yes, it is kind of people to offer information / experience.

Reactions: 4 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
At the end of the day if you HbA1c is good and your cholesterol down and you BP normal then all is well, if its all gone pete tong its all good too, it's just your not gonna live very long if you don't sort it out, but hey as long as you had a good ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering why someone would choose to eat junk food, regardless of anything else. I know that lots of people do, since it's a big business. I was not trying to make anyone feel bad. Sorry.
You did not offend, I find a good debate where feathers are ruffled is the best way to evoke good responses.
You are correct, I am not happy with my diet. But I also am looking at the point that I think fads are also bad, and the short term effects of diets are exhilarating, but people do not seem to calculate the long term good or bad that these diets do.
I question the no or low carbs because of being an athlete, but also that we seem to be spoon fed a lot of scientific information and we except as given.
We are diabetic, we are not sheep, I think this forum has proven that what works for one does not work others. New diabetics follow blindly the advice of old diabetics like ourselves as well as the medical profession without looking into it further. Being newly diagnosed is a lot to take on as well as the obvious changes to your body and your habits. So they do what they think is correct by taking others advice instead of investigating it. (and that is the 1st mistake)

Having sat in a Dr's office while he looked on Google to see what I may have is disconcerting, it is called a Doctors Practice for a reason. They are on the payroll of the government and as we all seem to be aware the NHS is run by greedy ambitious people who are more interested in feathering their own beds, and by cutting corners to cut costs so they can vote on a bigger pay package and **** the people that pay for this service and who need it.
Why do Doctors insist that we go on Statins when cholesterol never been a problem or any other pills that you don't need unless bungs are happening somewhere.
Why do we follow blindly the information of others so easily without investigating 1st. Just because the Internet has videos of success stories and we look at these links posted by other well meaning diabetics, do you know how many links to videos refute the success stories.

Do we know of any dieticians or scientists whose fields are in Carbs or even diabetes that we can field questions at?

Call me cynical or mad or whatever, but we live in a time where the NHS is failing, it's an illness not covered by Health Insurance has so many complications that any insurance company could refuse payment because it may have been down to diabetes. We as a group of people are a drain on resources and are blamed for our own illness whether Type 1 or Type 2 and are grouped together. So whether your bad diet, your genes or your cultural ancestry has bought about diabetes the age old question is why.

Why are we eating so much sugar in all foods, why does the use of corn syrup in all foods not flag with governments? Why do governments put pretend bans on things like cigarettes but still own shares in these companies.

Question your politicians ask what happens to you when NHS is no more. My point is always investigate ask questions, who is getting rich from these schemes, how many are dying, budgets are being cut, are lives being cut as well to balance the books.

Which politicians brother or close aquaintance is sitting on which board when you are told to take this pill and that pill even though there is no proof of you needing to take it or no explanation

Money makes the world go round but at whose expense

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually, I eat like everyone else in the world, my point is whether I eat **** or I eat healthily, does it matter,

No, it doesn't matter at all to me what you do if you are happy with your lifestyle. But what does matter to me and to many others here are the diabetics who come to our forum asking for advice and help in managing their condition/lowering their blood sugar levels. And we give them the best help and advice we can, But since you're happy with your own choices I don't understand why you appear to believe that what we tell them also applies to, and vilifies you?

Robbity

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it doesn't matter at all to me what you do if you are happy with your lifestyle. But what does matter to me and to many others here are the diabetics who come to our forum asking for advice and help in managing their condition/lowering their blood sugar levels. And we give them the best help and advice we can, But since you're happy with your own choices I don't understand why you appear to believe that what we tell them also applies to, and vilifies you?

Robbity
I have read the responses of many questions asked as any new member or newly diagnosed person would and am aghast at the way the responses make you feel guilty for your lifestyle choices and seem to insist on low carb or no carb is the only way forward, it does vilify people's choice as well as their lack of knowledge about their illness, so whether it bothers me or not is not the point.

People are too scared to put their thoughts down for fear of a berating. These people need all of our help or not but without a rounded supply of information how can they make an informed choice.

No carbs might work for you it might not, but the response is that new members do not involve themselves for fear of the obvious witch hunt that is prevalent in some responses.

The likes of people like me may have been on here looking at ways to improve their lifestyle, but being told I should eat this or can't eat that is more likely to get my back up.

As if newly diagnosed don't have enough to deal with, they have just had the rug pulled from under them and the changes they have to make are epic, they are being force fed so much information. They have no time to grieve their past life and now we are telling them things Doctors are saying the opposite, surely our response should be for them to trial what is best and be the support if it doesn't work and the kudos giver if it does.

No one else is going to care for them but themselves. So surely we should be giving them the tools to make the right choices. Not forcing our choices on them.
So yes I feel vilified for my choices and your answer just sparks fire

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Robbity

Just want to say that I'm grateful for all the help and advice I've had over the last month from so many people on the forum. I knew nothing about low carbing a month ago, except that i didn't agree with the high fat part, but having asked questions and taken notice of what people were telling me I threw myself into the lchf way of eating and am feeling so much better. My levels are much lower, my weight is gong down.
And I did research it myself, i didn't just blindly follow what people told me, and I discovered that I can't eat bread, spuds, pasta etc at all. I'd never have known those things were causing my problems if people here hadn't told me, as far as I knew I should be having carbs at every meal and never dreamed high carbs were causing my very high BG levels!
I never felt pushed into it but I was determined to get my levels sorted out and I think the best people to ask for help are those that are going/been through it themselves, not medical people who usually have no personal knowledge.
So yes, I think the forum is very supportive and it's made a huge difference to my life already. Thank you :cool:

Reactions: 20 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
New members are often lost ... some completely .....

Whether that be diet, weight, BS, BMI, testing times, meters, other health conditions, the sheer shock of the diagnosis etc etc. Yes, there is a slant toward LCHF (dunno what's wrong with that as so many swear by it) but other opinions / posters also have the right to pass comment ..... and do.

What works for one individual might not work for another ... stating the obvious of course .....

We know full well that on presentation of their HB1AC, their typical meals, their vision, their lethargy / tiredness, their related pains and their BS readings that many MANY people simply don't know where to start. You have to give them options, and on balance offer opinions / suggestions about altering what they eat / drink and then test to see a result. The general consensus is if weight and exercise (if lacking in both of those areas) needs attention, then we should be able to say that with some freedom, regardless of whether they're diabetic or not.

I don't know how you could possibly assume that "people are too scared to put their thoughts down for fear of a berating. These people need all of our help or not but without a rounded supply of information how can they make an informed choice" when you're not one of those people ..... unless of course you were referring to yourself rather than others.

I agree with many of your points but you are REALLY confident in your outlook and firmly believe what you're doing is OK. Great.

This is a forum for the exchange of ideas and opinions is it not?

Reactions: 15 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read the responses of many questions asked as any new member or newly diagnosed person would and am aghast at the way the responses make you feel guilty for your lifestyle choices and seem to insist on low carb or no carb is the only way forward, it does vilify people's choice as well as their lack of knowledge about their illness, so whether it bothers me or not is not the point.

People are too scared to put their thoughts down for fear of a berating. These people need all of our help or not but without a rounded supply of information how can they make an informed choice.

No carbs might work for you it might not, but the response is that new members do not involve themselves for fear of the obvious witch hunt that is prevalent in some responses.

The likes of people like me may have been on here looking at ways to improve their lifestyle, but being told I should eat this or can't eat that is more likely to get my back up.

As if newly diagnosed don't have enough to deal with, they have just had the rug pulled from under them and the changes they have to make are epic, they are being force fed so much information. They have no time to grieve their past life and now we are telling them things Doctors are saying the opposite, surely our response should be for them to trial what is best and be the support if it doesn't work and the kudos giver if it does.

No one else is going to care for them but themselves. So surely we should be giving them the tools to make the right choices. Not forcing our choices on them.
So yes I feel vilified for my choices and your answer just sparks fire

As far as I'm aware no-one is advocating nor would they advocate a NO carbs diet, the main suggestion we make to our fellow type 2 diabetics is to reduce their carbohydrate intake, as this is generally a major cause for us of high glucose levels and all the potential issues these can cause. Our bodies cannot cope with high carbohydrate levels and by reducing this source of our problems we have some reasonable hope of managing to improve our condition. To insist that a type 2 diabetic eats large quantities of carbohydrates is both ignorant and dangerous, You obviously have little knowledge of what we need to survive our illness unharmed, and you might just consider remedying that ignorance before you accuse us of vilification.

It takes a lot to really anger me but I'm afraid you've successfully managed to do so.

Robbity

Reactions: 14 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What alternative is there to low carbing for me, a seriously obese type 2 not on medication? If I don't eat less than 80g carbs a day my BG's go too high. If I don't eat around 30-50g carbs I don't lose weight.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I arrived on this forum I knew a little about my variety of diabetes (type 2 diet controlled) and very little about insulin, type 1s, or any of the other various permutations.

It didn't take me long to realise that each type handles the disease quite differently.

The problem I now have is when some well meaning soul gives dietary advice intended for a different variety of diabetes.

For instance, if an insulin controlled type 2 on fixed insulin doses tells a diet controlled type 2 that they should eat more carb :banghead:
Or if a type 1 assumes that all a type 2 needs to do is adjust their basal.:banghead:
Or if a diet controlled type 2 tells a well controlled type 1 (who likes carbs) to cut the carbs... Well of course that isn't going to go down well.:banghead:

But most people learn quickly, especially if their error is pointed out.
And adding basic info to a signature reduces the misunderstandings.

I see two main tragedies on the forum - people who now have complications because they didn't know to keep their blood glucose low enough in previous years, and people who can't/won't make the necessary changes to prevent complications in the future.

I think most people who post do so with the clear awareness that it could, so easily, be them.

Reactions: 22 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What alternative is there to low carbing for me, a seriously obese type 2 not on medication? If I don't eat less than 80g carbs a day my BG's go too high. If I don't eat around 30-50g carbs I don't lose weight.
Maybe because this was posted by a Type 1 diabetic in the Type 1 area of the forums, we Type 2's should just keep our opinions to ourselves? At least, that's the general message I'm getting from some of the posters on this thread.

I'd be really interested to see an example of what the critics would consider as a supportive, 'non-vilifying' reply that would be suitable to make to newcomers? Eat what you want in moderation, then if your next A1c is poor come back and ask us what we do to get our good results, maybe? God forbid we should give advice on diet just because it works for us and even though you asked for help.

Reactions: 9 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe because this was posted by a Type 1 diabetic in the Type 1 area of the forums, we Type 2's should just keep our opinions to ourselves? At least, that's the general message I'm getting from some of the posters on this thread.

I'd be really interested to see an example of what the critics would consider as a supportive, 'non-vilifying' reply that would be suitable to make to newcomers? Eat what you want in moderation, then if your next A1c is poor come back and ask us what we do to get our good results, maybe? God forbid we should give advice on diet just because it works for us and even though you asked for help.

As a T1 myself. I feel there is a fair bit to be learned from the T2 "diet controllers" especially the successful non medicationers... Personally I think as good as the insulin tech is these days, it's still not up to the challenge of handling a non D comercially influenced diet. Even with rigorous meticulous & careful planning too many variables leave it open to error... Some foods just don't work for me on MDI.

Supportive? It's educational.. Oppressive? Don't let it.! ;)

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For me it doesn't actually matter whether anybody is T1 or T2 etc. i can offer support to someone like Ally1 (t2) as much as a T1. However, I think my support would vary with the mindfulness.. With Ally others have concentrated support on food and levels whilst I watch in the background for her GP responses, DSN and her hba1c results. I watch results on a daily basis and feel excited when she gets them lower. I can still support a T2 but my answers and responses would be modified mindfulness..

I think we all support.. And life is full of different personalitys but the biggest support is via being mindful as to how others can perceive your responses and advice.

Reactions: 16 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Spencer.
There are a lot of older people on this forum,I know of an 86year old who is living a full life ,walkes two miles a day and rides a bike.
I may or may not reach 90 and I may as you say have a face like a slapped ****,but I will make sure I have my own kidneys and dont lose a leg or toes ,and suffer other awful things that can be avoided through looking after myself.
I know there was no offence ment

Reactions: 17 people