Type 1: Prescription fine

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Not only is your response uncaring and unthinking CarbsRok but it is legally inaccurate! Originally Exemption Certificates were issued for Life - it was only in 2002 that the Law was changed and Certificates were required to be renewed every 5 years - only problem was that DOH failed to inform users. I don't know your background but clearly understanding is not part of your make-up. molivers73 was at fault for not having a valid certicate - not for owing prescription charges.
As he didn't have one from day one of diagnoses I think your understanding is at fault.
Like a lot of other posters have said read what you sign IE you sign you have an exemption certificate and you haven't then the NHS will take the view that you owe money. Nope it ain't fair the system leaves a lot to be desired in the way they are going about things.

Johndotcom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some of the stupid suggestions made by Diabetes Consultant, who seems to know less than patients, we don't all fit in this typical box!
In Wales it is slightly different to England, as everyone that resides in Country does not pay any prescription charges.
I have been on Insulin for fifty years next year and even in Wales use to have a Exemption Certificate.
I don't know what happens now "legally" in England, when visiting and needing a Prescription, I have to tick have a exemption certificate, but don't actually hold one any more as told by Hospital and GP not required, and by the Pharmacy in England told to just tick box as exempt when I asked them.
Holiday makers in Wales still have to pay for prescriptions, unless they hold the said certificate or a residential Permanent home in Wales not a Holiday Home or Caravan.
Not sure how the Law is now applied with three Counties in UK having different system, but for people requiring a life saving drug that is on list as not requiring to pay for should be sorted out or automated.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do the same but have to sign for the prescription.
i order mine over the phone from the chemist.CO OP i never see it .or sign it and i have it delivered.
i have done this for at least the last 6 + year after no longer being able to drive.

Johndotcom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some of the stupid suggestions made by Diabetes Consultant, who seems to know less than patients, we don't all fit in this typical box!
That's the same for many now I should think, order on Computer, and delivered by Chemist, but I have to sign for my Morphine, but nothing else as described earlier.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's the same for many now I should think, order on Computer, and delivered by Chemist, but I have to sign for my Morphine, but nothing else as described earlier.
My GP surgery has about 12,000 patients
Ways to order meds are :-
phone prescription line
leave request at choice of pharmacy
On line which goes to GP to sign, this then goes to pharmacy of choice. You either collect and sign for the prescription or it's delivered and signed for. Nothing is given out without a signature.

Reactions: 2 people

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T1 last May. I was sent from the GP to hospital, where I was put on insulin so I could go home for the weekend. The following week I was back at my doctors to pick up all the medication I needed. I was told that I was now medically exempt so didn't have to pay. I have continued to collect my prescriptions ever since, totally unaware that I needed a certificate. Last weekend I read about certificates on the forum. On Monday I went to the GP and they apologised and gave me a form. Guess what came through the post today... (To my old address)? My fine. Let the battle commence.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 2013 but I was 60 in October 2012 so I don't have to, or, didn't have to complete an Exemption Form - did I?

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i order mine over the phone from the chemist.CO OP i never see it .or sign it and i have it delivered.
i have done this for at least the last 6 + year after no longer being able to drive.

I know I am over 60 now but similarly I have ordered mine over the 'phone and they are delivered to me.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People who have gastric surgery or who go on a 600 Calorie diet for 6 weeks have had diabetes 2 reversed.
Proven.
Visceral fat is one of the main causes of diabetes, lose it and you have a chance or reversing diabetes 2.

They have made diabetic rats non diabetic by feeding them probiotics.
Often if you are obese and diabetic 2 and you change your diet and life style resulting in a large weight loss, you can reverse it.

A friend was diagnosed as diabetic 2 and he changed his diet, lost weight and controlled it just by diet and he now has normal readings if a little high.
BTW he was never eligible for a medical exemption certificate even tho he was diagnosed as diabetic 2 as he never used metformin.
He did have a lot of bitter melon which does something similar to metformin.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/natural-therapies/bitter-melon.html

Doesn't happen in all cases but it is a medical fact that diabetes 2 can be reversed if drastic changes are made.

Living on just 600 calories for 6 weeks is not exactly possible if you have to work.

I think if its more genetic than lifestyle then it won't be possible.
If you are slim and have diabetes 2, a gastric operation or a 600 cal diet isn't going to help is it.?

I have a friend who's T2 was reversed by exercise and diet

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The relevance to being fined for not having an exemption certificate when you have T1 is....?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The relevance to being fined for not having an exemption certificate when you have T1 is....?
Not 100% sure what you're asking so I'll take a guess. I guess it would be similar to being entitled to housing benefit but not actually claiming it. Then, not paying your rent for many years because you just assumed you were entitled to free rent. Then, when you get caught and have to fork out a lot of money, blaming everybody but yourself. Why should you have to actually claim housing benefit ? Nobody told you .
Apologies if this isn't what you meant.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know I am over 60 now but similarly I have ordered mine over the 'phone and they are delivered to me.
The difference here is that your prescription is marked as exempt due to your age entitlement. I double checked my Mum's prescription and it quite clearly states age exempt on it.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Just my twisted mind, but what bwould happen if someone's exemption certificate expired in Jan 2015, they turned 60 in Dec 2014, and erroneously continued to tick the Exemption due to illness rather than to age? are they going to go after them too!:rolleyes:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just my twisted mind, but what bwould happen if someone's exemption certificate expired in Jan 2015, they turned 60 in Dec 2014, and erroneously continued to tick the Exemption due to illness rather than to age? are they going to go after them too!:rolleyes:
Then they fraudulently claimed to have a valid exemption certificate rather than correctly claiming they were over sixty.

They would be chased by the NHSBSA, and an interesting conversation would ensue...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Can you see the headlines:
"Dementia ridden T1 pensioner fined by NHSBSA"
:rolleyes:

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T1 last May. I was sent from the GP to hospital, where I was put on insulin so I could go home for the weekend. The following week I was back at my doctors to pick up all the medication I needed. I was told that I was now medically exempt so didn't have to pay. I have continued to collect my prescriptions ever since, totally unaware that I needed a certificate. Last weekend I read about certificates on the forum. On Monday I went to the GP and they apologised and gave me a form. Guess what came through the post today... (To my old address)? My fine. Let the battle commence.

This is pretty similar to my experience in that I've been told I was medically exempt so don't have to pay. I've still not paid for anything yet, or any fines, despite never having seen any sort of certificate.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is pretty similar to my experience in that I've been told I was medically exempt so don't have to pay. I've still not paid for anything yet, or any fines, despite never having seen any sort of certificate.
You need to apply for the certificate, it wont just suddenly appear :(

Reactions: 6 people