DAFNE

Louise5967

Hi there all the lucky T 1's who have attended DAFNE-
I'm a T1 of 36 years and I am pleased to say I have a place on this in July and from what I hear and read its a very worthwhile course.
I wanted to ask whilst on it how is your individual ratio of carb to insulin worked out ?
and also as I've recently started twice daily levimir in preparation which I think I've just about cracked the correct doses is this looked at as well.

Many thanks

SarahW

Hi

I did the course in Jan of this year. Fast acting would start at around 1 unit of insulin to 10 grams of carbs. Of course everyone is different so will look at you all individually. We tested ourselves at every meal and before bed and before driving etc and we looked for patterns that gave us an indication of what you need to be on when.

The course is fantastic and really helps you understand things in a much clearer light. You can understand why things happen and when and how to react to it. Makes you feel really confident with your control.

Enjoy

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am sure you will find it useful. They will cover your background and mealtime doses - as sarahw says they start you at 1 to 10 and then tweak, you may need different ratios at different times of the day.

I found mine very helpful - it also give you confidence to try changing things if you feel you need to - for instance since being on my DAFNE I am now on a diet and am finding my needs are changing.

Hope you enjoy it!

Louise

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hello, just wanted to ask a question on this as im still new to all this but ive been told about the dafne course, i started on two injections a day and felt very confined to it, so with alot of bugging and asking i finally got put on four a day which i find is so much easier for the sake of two more injections a day but ive found i have massive highs and a few lows and the occasional hypo as i try new things and test before and after to see how it affects my blood sugar etc but this dafne course seems to me for a good thing to do and was wondering how you would go about getting on the course? if you can ask or have be bo referred if you doctor finds fit?

Louise5967

With regards to getting a place on the DAFNE course -in my case I kept hearing about it and asked at my last 6 monthly check with the diabetes team-I know not every hospital runs it but it is certainly worth asking-I was fortunate to get a cancellation place as the waiting list is approx 12-18 months in my area. (Addenbrooks)
I'd ask as soon as possible!!