Inconsistent BG levels which are upsetting me. Help!

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hello,

I'm still learning how to manage my Diabetes & am testing BG regularly. I'm upset that this morning it was 12.8. I had flaked salmon containing 3g of carbs for supper before bed last night, which I thought was ok. Throughout the day my levels were far lower. So can someone tell me why my BG is up after it was coming down nicely. What am I doing wrong? And how on earth do I get consistently low BG levels. I'm on Gliclazide & Metformin. All advice is gratefully received. Thanks folks.

Alison.

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm still learning how to manage my Diabetes & am testing BG regularly. I'm upset that this morning it was 12.8. I had flaked salmon containing 3g of carbs for supper before bed last night, which I thought was ok. Throughout the day my levels were far lower. So can someone tell me why my BG is up after it was coming down nicely. What am I doing wrong? And how on earth do I get consistently low BG levels. I'm on Gliclazide & Metformin. All advice is gratefully received. Thanks folks.

Alison.

Sounds like classic "Dawn Phenomenon" to me. If this occurs more regular it would be best for you to try to test yourself at several points during the night to ID any trends.

D

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I agree given your comments.

Is this a one off at all?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like classic "Dawn Phenomenon" to me. If this occurs more regular it would be best for you to try to test yourself at several points during the night to ID any trends.

D

I agree with @Dazza1984 . I have this too despite being on Metformin for over a year, and am committed to LCHF which I've been doing for a year next month. Fasting BS are known to be the last readings to reduce and after I year I still get quite despondent!

The important thing is not to obsess over your fasting levels, but to focus on your daytime readings, and especially postmeal bs. These are the ones we do have control over by our food choices and our exercise. What did you have with your salmon by the way?

Hang in there and don't get despondent. Good things are happening which a meter can't tell us about!

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I agree given your comments.

Is this a one off at all?

Hi Mike

This mornings BG was higher than over the last week. Do you know if stress has any effect upon BG and/or dawn phenomena?

Alison.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi AJ :)

IMO, both do @Alisonjane10

(Almost) no question about it. Have you been feeling stress more recently?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

D

Thanks for the link Dazza. I've learnt something new. Will give night testing a go. Cheers.

Alison.

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress will increase your BG levels. If you think about it this make evolutionary sense. For example lets say you're running away from a predator or getting ready to fight the stress hormones in your body rise.
These hormones, especially Cortisol, causes BG to rise so you then have lots of energy to do these things. These days we don't have to deal with lions/tigers/bears; just things like the Tax Man lol.
The problem we face is that we can't then utilise that BG as we either don't produce the insulin (T1) or our cells do not respond to is (T2)
It is all the same though. Stress is different for us all but the physiology works the same way.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi AJ :)

IMO, both do @Alisonjane10

(Almost) no question about it. Have you been feeling stress more recently?

Guess i have been stressing about my diagnosis & how to manage it. Since joining here though, I'm certainly more educated which makes me feel more in control. But I've been quite ill with several simultaneous infections & as my BG was running very high prior to being diagnosed, I think my body is still recovering. My immune system certainly took a hit. Trying to stay positive though & accepting all the help offered on here. Disappointed at the lack of information & support from my GP though. I hoped for more from primary care. Again, thank god I have this site & wonderfully knowledgeable members like yourself who are willing to help others.

Ali.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stress will increase your BG levels. If you think about it this make evolutionary sense. For example lets say you're running away from a predator or getting ready to fight the stress hormones in your body rise.
These hormones, especially Cortisol, causes BG to rise so you then have lots of energy to do these things. These days we don't have to deal with lions/tigers/bears; just things like the Tax Man lol.
It is all the same though. Stress is different for us all but the physiology works the same way.

D

Thanks Dazza. That made me smile. Don't know why I didn't put the science bit together myself. Common sense really. And yeah, the taxman (& glitter) are stressful to me too. Lol.

Ali.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with @Dazza1984 . I have this too despite being on Metformin for over a year, and am committed to LCHF which I've been doing for a year next month. Fasting BS are known to be the last readings to reduce and after I year I still get quite despondent!

The important thing is not to obsess over your fasting levels, but to focus on your daytime readings, and especially postmeal bs. These are the ones we do have control over by our food choices and our exercise. What did you have with your salmon by the way?

Hang in there and don't get despondent. Good things are happening which a meter can't tell us about!

Thanks @poshtotty. Good advice & information. It is easy to become despondent isn't it. Best wishes.
Ali.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Ali :)

A VERY natural reaction. Infections don't help either. Your GP is the first "go to" as we're not qualified.

Insofar as I'm concerned, love the praise (and THANK YOU :) ) but I speak from experience and everything I have learned from other members.

It was never me. It is the entire forum that has given me the education. It is a magnificent place to find comfort, advice, support and friends you NEVER knew existed.

Take care

Mike :)

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Try not to panic @Alisonjane10 , you're doing fine. Dawn phenomenon, stress, infections all have an impact on our BG levels. With the meter you can record and make use of this. Data > knowledge, knowledge > power, power > control. We've all been there.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. Just record it, with a note, and move on.

One tip though. If you get a genuinely unexpected reading, whether high or low, do another test straight away (after yet another hand wash). No need to re-test if the reading is within your normal range for that point in time, only if it is miles out. We all see rogue readings from time to time, no matter which meter we use. If the 2nd test is closer to what you expect, do a third test and then judge which is the correct one, look for a cluster of similar readings, or average them for your records.

Reactions: 4 people