paddy my cat saves my life

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Philchap, is Paddy blind in his left eye? Forgive my asking, it may just be the photo. I ask as owner of a dearly loved one-eyed kitty for many years. He's dead now, but I loved him like no other.

K

Kat100

late on Sunday evening after felling unwell for a few days and blood sugars a bit up and down I fell into a diabetic coma, my wife had gone to bed around 9.45 and I stayed up watching telly, the next thing I remember is coming around surrounded by a paramedic and my wife wondering what was going on, I had been given two lots of glucose solution and my blood glucose was still only 1.4, my wife told me that our cat Padfoot [ paddy ] had gone into our bedroom and pawed at her face to alert her and then brought her to me, I am very proud of paddy because another hour and I might not have made it, thank you Paddy my hero.
Glad you are better , the instinct animals have is just wonderful ....hello paddy ....special hero :cat:

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Love it :) .... and I do not like cats at the best of times but learnt to live with the neighbour's Burmese.

For some reason, they love ME !!. Cuddle this one though :)
Cats always choose to love those who they know don't like cats ....

The cats win of course :cat:

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Baby Paddy

Attachments

• 1424426797437.jpg
    1424426797437.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: 4 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
How fantastic is Paddy

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
late on Sunday evening after felling unwell for a few days and blood sugars a bit up and down I fell into a diabetic coma, my wife had gone to bed around 9.45 and I stayed up watching telly, the next thing I remember is coming around surrounded by a paramedic and my wife wondering what was going on, I had been given two lots of glucose solution and my blood glucose was still only 1.4, my wife told me that our cat Padfoot [ paddy ] had gone into our bedroom and pawed at her face to alert her and then brought her to me, I am very proud of paddy because another hour and I might not have made it, thank you Paddy my hero.
Sweet Paddy, and your wife was nice too. :) I wonder if Paddy did not smell ketoacidosis.

Froglet 56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hot spicy food
Hi everyone. Have been diagnosed T2 for nearly 3 years and am still struggling with it. End of last year I felt terrible and didn't know what was happening to me. I have a Pomeranian puppy called Fergus, who is now 18 months. He kept patting me and jumping on my knee and touching my face with his pa wand just wouldn't give up. It turned out I was having a hypo from a change in medication. This has now happened half a dozen times and he has done the same thing. How he knows at such a young age I don't know, but hopefully with change of medication, he won't have to do it again:)

Reactions: 5 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't Paddy do well!!
My cat Tabby knows when I'm hypo, I can tell because she acts weird - because I'm acting weird I expect. I don't know whether she can sense when I'm hyper, but probably she can, I reckon @Erin's idea of Paddy being able to get the whiff of ketoacidosis is quite likely. Brill Paddy!

Reactions: 7 people

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
There are associations that train dogs to recognize Diabetic comas in their owners - this story might be of interest to them regarding this cat's very unusual behaviour.

sgc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear Paddy recognises a Hypo. There are many quoted examples of this. There are useful pointers in this post. Firstly you did not suffer a diabetic coma. A coma happens after blood sugars have been dangerously high for some time - often days. The body responds to a lack of insulin by consuming fat and muscle. Ketoacidosis occurs and high levels of ketones can kill. You become extremely ill and a coma ensues. Hospitalisation to give insulin under controlled supervision brings down the blood-sugar levels. Having a blood sugar level of 1.4 indicates the opposite. You had very low blood sugars probably because of either too little food or too much insulin or too much activity or a combination of all three! Recognisng the approach of a Hypo is important. Always carry glucose tablets to chew if you feel the effects of low blood sugar.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A diabetic coma is a life-threatening diabetes complication that causes unconsciousness. If you have diabetes, dangerously high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or dangerously low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can lead to a diabetic coma.