advise on insulin when trying to build muscle

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wondering if anyone on here with type 1 diabetic has successfuly built a good amount of muscle. Currently i eat my dinner, take the appropriate amount of insulin to cover the carbs and then straight after my 1 hour workout i take a 28g protein shake with no carbs in it. Is this the best way to do it or should i be injecting after the workout when my muscles are absorbing nutrients etc
Im 24, 6 foot tall and weight 13 stone. I spent the first 6 months on a calorie deficit doing cardio to reduce my weight and fat. 12 weeks ago i started to do 3 1 hour weight sessions a week, starting eating more protein based foods and more of them and I am enjoying the muscle gains i have made so far, I would like to gain more but need some help with best times to do Injections and eat etc to give my muscles the best chance at absorbing nutrients etc
thanks
James

Reactions: 2 people

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so is more insulin going to produce more muscle , I thought high levels of insulin promoted fat storage. i have lost weight in the last 9 months simply by exercising, reducing carbs and there fore reducing insulin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
so is more insulin going to produce more muscle , I thought high levels of insulin promoted fat storage. i have lost weight in the last 9 months simply by exercising, reducing carbs and there fore reducing insulin
It's all a bit more complex than it first appears. Insulin controls a lot of things. It's worth having a google search on the topic and having a read of the available literature. There is a lot out there.