FALSE HYPO HELP PLEASE

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Hi,i think i've just had a false Hypo but i'm not sure.i did an hour of exercise with a dvd i've got and i was ok while i was doing it but started to feel shakey and a bit dazed,so i tested my BS usually i'm between 10mg-7mg,but this time it was 6mg i've never been that before.I know this is a good thing but was i having a false Hypo and do you treat it the same way as a real one? i had a small chocolate waffer bar and i'm not shaking any more did i have a false Hypo and did i do the right thing,i'm trying to lose weight so i don't want to grab some thing sweet every time it happens :? ,i can't drink them glucose drinks they make me ill,shan x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not sure I believe in "False" hypo. What you are describing sounds like a hypo, but the numbers you give means it's a hypo specific to someone whose BG is usually above ideal level. Certainly at 6 you don't need any glucose and if you rest, the feeling will go off.
the alternative theory for hypo symptoms is that your system is responding to the rate of drop of the BG. Still you are probably safe down to 3.5, never mind 4 or your 6

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thank you both i'll not fret if it happens again,i'd never felt like that before so go a bit worried,thanks again,shan x

Lel

Hi Shan,

If your body is used to high levels a lot of the time when it goes below a certain level you can feel like you are having a hypo as your body isnt used to going that low.
As you get better readings you will find that a hypo starts much lower.

Good luck with the weightloss, i'm attempting to do the same.

x

Trinkwasser

It's plausible that the exercise sent you low, hence the symptoms, then your liver dropped some glucose and sent your BG back up again by the time you measured it.

Next time try doing half an hour then testing to see what is occurring. I used to eat enough slow carbs to get my BG up over 6 before starting any exertion to stop this happening but over time my body has gotten used to keeping things level on its own. It took a while for you to get into this state and it will probably take you a while to get back out again.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thank you Lel and Trinkwasser,i'll do that then half an hour exercise then test ,i'll test before as well just to see the differance.I did do extra exercise that day,i usually do 30min's on my gravity strider then 10 min's on my rower,not long had the rower so i've been building up the time over last two weeks but i did the dvd as well as that,i'm trying to fit as much exercise in that i can along with a good diet,my body will just have to get use to feeling this way till it gets use to it,i've lost neary two stone since Christmas and i'm not stopping till i'm a decent weight :lol: ,shan x

martinsoton

Its not a false hypo. If you body is used to a level of sugar in your system and it drops below that norm, you feel the effects of a hypo. When i first was diagnosed as type 1, when by sugar was under 7 it felt lie a hypo, but as i got it under control, the hypos kicked in at a lower and lower number. How long have you been diagnosed?

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thanks Martin,i was told i had diabetes three years ago but was pre-diabetic but after a couple of months i was told i'd tipped over to type 2 and put on metformin twice a day,then just after this christmas i got worse blurry eyes and drinking loads so they added gliclazide.Since then i started to diet and exercise,but my BG was lowest it's ever been on that day i felt funny,i've been ok since,but i want to up my excerise, shan x

martinsoton

Metaformin is strange one. Im currently using it as well as insuline. I dont know if anyone else has experianced this, it holds my bs at a good reading and makes it easier to control, but when control is bad it seems to exagerate the effects?

I have issues with my eyes if if been running high for a while, apparently a high bs level changes the shape of your eye ball or something? strange! I guess this is what happened at christmas?

Diet and excersie make all the differnece that is what i am finding!

good luck

Trinkwasser

Check the effects of exercise at different times of day too, I used to find that overexertion in the morning would send me high but the same thing in the afternoon would send me low.

Now my liver is a bit less funky this is less likely to occur, but a friend still tends to get massive liver dumps in the morning and karate class in the evening can send her hypo although her numbers are normal most of the rest of the time, tinker with the timing and amount of exertion and the balance of carbs vs protein vs fat and see if that helps. I favour a high protein moderate fat low carb breakfast, high fat moderate protein low carb snacks for fuel, and can handle a higher carb load in the evening, but only when I really have to. You may find a different balance works better, someone who cycles to work first thing in the morning does quite well on porridge, but not on his days off.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Before i excercised today i tested my BG it was 8-8mg after it was 6mg this was in the afternoon after one hour of home gym cardio,this time i was fine, didn't feel funny at all.I thought excercise was ment to make you feel good,i just feel aches :roll: ,but at least it helps bring down my BG and my weight,shan x

Trinkwasser

IMO the best plan is to stop just before you ache. That way you can do more the following day and ramp up. If you overdo the first day it might knock you back for several days until you stop hurting. I've learned this over time, gardening always seems to find muscles I never use for anything else and getting overenthusiastic on the first day leaves me resembling a very old person hunched into a C shape. Starting with half as much as I intended and then doing more each following day leaves me able to walk around.

Your BG is responding well.