Breakfast ideas?

Dan_Mason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas for breakfast and lunch. My job is extremely active and my hours vary depending on where I work in the country. I don't Realy have time to cook much first thing in the morning so have been having toast and usually a sandwich for lunch. I have stuck on wholemeal bread, as white and even seeded bread makes my blood spike. I've noticed that my blood has been gradually rising when having wholemeal bread so I'm racking my brain to find something different that is quick to prepare and possible to eat whilst on the move. Is there also any cereals that people can recommend?

Thanks x

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only cereal I eat is porridge, but it takes around 10 mins to make so might not be suitable for you if your rushing out the door on a morning. To prevent postprandial spikes many of us inject our insulin 10-20 before eating to give our insulin a chance to work before the food digests.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dan - I have a meal replacement shake every morning. It has the best and most repeatable post-prandial profile of anything I eat. It is about 20g of carbs, includes vitamins, nutrients, protein and a bit of good fat... pm me if you want to know more. I'm not putting any brand names on here because I don't want to hijack your thread with advertising and/or haters. I have had it assessed my by nurse and dietician and after initial reluctance, they've admitted it's actually really good for me. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How about no-added sugar oats based muesli with cold milk? It's better than hot porridge as the cooking causes cell breakdown and faster release of the grain sugars. My wife makes ours and adds various seeds etc.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
What about some kale, berries (any), half a banana, almond milk (or any milk actually!) flax seeds and a splash of cranberry juice?! Or chia seeds or walnuts or almond butter. Or an activist yogurt. I chuck a combination of the above in a beaker and blend! Only thing I don't add is spinach as it makes everything taste like grass

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cook sausages night before and get some cherry tomatoes. Even boil an egg night before too. Cold fry up :)

Kelsie

I too have a very active job working as a gym instructor & sports therapist so like to pick slower releasing carb meals. Personally I don't eat standard cereals as I find a lot are high in salt and sugar and as I have a severe but allergy, I can't have muesli. My breakfasts normally consist of either porridge with berries. Protein pancakes (1/2 cup porridge oats, 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, one egg and a scoop of whey protein powder) topped with berries. Egg muffins filled with broccoli, ham and onion-I love these as I often cook them night before (only take 20 mins in the oven ) and then reheat in the morning or have them to go and eat cold. Or lastly, if I'm in a rush then it's whole meal toast with fruit. But my favourite is the pancakes and egg muffins as they fill me up the longest and as I'm insulin sensitive, I only need to inject v little :) I try to have bigger breakfasts and smaller meals in the evening and I have found this way it has helped me reduce snacking later on in the day and reduced my body fat % :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Cook sausages night before and get some cherry tomatoes. Even boil an egg night before too. Cold fry up :)

EXACTLY !!!! Do some stir fry, save a bit for the morning, whack it in the microwave and eat that.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I can recommend... no serial.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re scrambled eggs, try them with a bit of cream in. They stay moist and light and none of that horrid dry rubberiness you get when people make them with milk or water. Delish.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Linwoods do a good milled flax seed and nut mix. I have two table spoons with a plain Danio yoghurt and half an apple chopped up. About 12 carbs and quick to prepare.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
as I have a severe but allergy
I can't even begin to image how much you must suffer with a severe but allergy :) but, ooh sorry, i do like your protein pancake idea.