Best T2 breakfast

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With many thanks to Bluetit1802 who's recommended I don't acquire a taste for Weetabix for breakfast (I can live with that ! :) ) I was wondering what those with experience would suggest for a newly diagnosed T2 to have as a breakfast

Thanks in advance for any replies

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello moonchip
Bacon & eggs is my favourite

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
I have a small bowl of Porridge each day with Flaxseed sprinkled over. It puts it up a bit but keep me from being hungry longer.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Bacon scrambled eggs and laced with wilted spinach leaves. Love 'em. If you test and you're OK with them, then it's a great source of protein.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the weekend I like to have a cooked breakfast - bacon, eggs and mushrooms and a grilled tomato or a 2 egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms.

Unfortunately during the week its a little difficult as I leave for work really early and I cant quite stomach the food straight away, even though my liver demands it.. so I tend to eat a piece of cold frittatas, cold sausages (97% meat) or 9bars - occasionally I do my self lettuce & ham roles (I use the ham or lettuce instead of bread and wrap them around soft cheese and veg) or breakfast balls. All of which I can enjoy whilst driving to work - although not idea it works for me.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same every morning because I enjoy it and it keeps me filled up till lunch time.

100g Full fat Greek yogurt (Fage Total) with a few berries added for sweetness - blackberries at the moment, sometimes raspberries, sometimes strawberries, sometimes blueberries. Only a few though, and I find fresh ones are better for the blood sugars than frozen ones. Followed by either a mug of tea with a dash of milk or a decaf coffee with 2 spoonsful of double cream.

I save my cooked breakfasts for lunch time - bacon, eggs, 97% meat sausages, tomato and loads of mushrooms cooked in butter.

Reactions: 5 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have hot oat cereal with oatbran and flax seed during the week and eggs on seeded bread at weekends. Sometimes I have bran flakes with almonds, hazelnuts and blueberries. I had them this morning pre brekkie 5.3 and 2 hours after 5.5 so I seem to be lucky with cereals!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Either bacon and sausage, or Fage Total yoghurt and berries, or fried leftover veggies (not potato)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oopsie "bread" made into "French toast" is really yummy. I make the Oopsie (several recipes in the recipe section), then take a piece or two, smear with a bit of butter, sprinkle with lots of cinnamon and fry. Wish I could cover with maple syrup but oh well! :D

Big Waty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Modern Pop Music, Rugby Union, Football and Reality TV
2 Meat pies, i've tried porridge and i end up with a reading of 16.5 and feel **** a while later, with the pies i only get 10.6 or there abouts and have no ill feeling, go with what works for you, everyones different, though saying that, i shall be knocking the pies on the head after tomorrow, just have one a week, so it's back onto 3 weetabix and semi skimmed milk

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scrambled egg, mushrooms & smoked salmon cooked in butter or Alpro coconut yoghurt with a handful of blueberries and chopped hazelnuts.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Greek yoghurt and berries, or more usually a cooked breakfast of bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomato.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yogurt150g, nuts25g and pomegranates (20g) and linseeds10g every week day. Weekend, cheese and celery instead of the yogurt. does me till soup at lunchtime.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
This morning - 2 weetbix, 6 strawberries and 150ml low fat milk made into smoothie, 1 slice 5 grain bread toasted with sugar free spread. Other times bacon and eggs, scrambled eggs with salmon, 1 slice Toast and low fat cheese.

K

Kat100

Alpen no added sugar ..with almond milk with flaxseed

Glass of warm water ..

I try to make my own mix of alpen tne night before ....have a good routine going at the moment ....but if I forget I have the ready made one as a standy by ....

Otherwise it's porridge ....which I also enjoy

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Scrambled or poached eggs with smoked salmon on toast (Smoked salmon is quite cheap these days) or porridge with a teaspoon of jam (dont bother with diabetics jam unless you want the trots).

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
my problem is - where do you get the energy if you have extra light breakfast? If I go to the gym, obviously going to burn up lot of calories, a no or low carb breakfast is not the best thing, so it is bacon eggs or similar. Before I be came Ill, for 30 years I walked 50 - 60 mins per day, and my weight stayed about same - now that I have been unable to walk or exercise other in very restricted way, my diet has to be adjusted accordingly and becoming a diabetic at the same time has really tested my resolve. Love getting hints and advice from this forum - just so helpful