Yippeeeeeee!!!!!

philg

Just returned from Diabetic Clinic appointment.

HbA1c reduced from 8.1 in December to 5.8 today. :D :D :D :D

Total Cholestrol reduced from 4.9 in December to 4.1 today.

Levemir reduced from 40 units/day to 30 units/day during same period.

Novorapid reduced in same proportion.

Only change in lifestyle was to reduce carb intake after finding this forum in January.

I would say I am on a medium carb diet as opposed to low carb but the only bread I eat now is Fergus's recipe, I don't eat potatoes or rice and the only pasta I eat is the low carb variety.

As a by product I have also lost about a stone in the same period.

Thanks to all the contributors on this forum who have opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Phil

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
yayyyyyyy phil,
thats brilliant, well done :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Well done Phil. What a fantastic set of results. :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Absolutely bloody brilliant Phil!
Hope you spread the word because there are millions of people out there who could benefit from the ideas you've picked up here.
Very best wishes,

fergus

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Right on!!! That's a mean HbA1c - good work!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Phil, that is brilliant. You can now officially become a member of the 5% club. Well done. :D

sandiegirl

Well done Phil,
You must be really pleased with those results.
I have an appointment with my DN for my latest results in 2 weeks time - hopefully I shall also be happy with mine as I have been reducing my carbs for about 12 weeks and have seen my numbers go from the 12-15's to an average of between 4.5 - 5.8.
and boy, do I feel better for it..... :D
Anyway, well done once again,
sandie

Trinkwasser

Here's a good game you can play.

Accept the praise for your vastly improved numbers from your dedicated heathcare team.

Then tell them how you did it and watch their faces change!

It's worth playing because slowly the word is getting out there.

philg

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments I do feel really good about it.

Trink I have seen my diabetic nurse and she asked me how I got the results. She, like a lot of healthcare professionals, is restricted by the party line but she is very pro low-carbing and I got the impression that she is frustrated that she can not advocate this approach. She asked me what I ate instead of the bread, pasta, potato, rice etc. so I told her about Fergus' bread, low carb pasta, cauliflower rice and celairic/squash mash. When I told her about the cream, yoghurt, cheese etc she looked at my improved cholesteral and was very surprised :shock: :shock: .

I have not seen my doctor since the results came back but I saw him just before the blood tests and told him about my own BG results. His attitude is 'Whatever works for you' is right. He actually told me of a patient who started low carbing when he was diagnosed and is no longer diabetic :D :D . He is also said he wished most of his diabetic patients would take control of 'their' diabetes as I am doing. My response was 'I want to die with my feet on' :!: .

I feel very lucky to have such a supportive team and my next goal is to reduce my insulin another 25% without increasing my BG. I know the answer is more excercise so I will have to go fishing more often :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Once again thanks all and for anyone thinking of reducing their carbs GIVE IT A GO - it is working for me.

Phil

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Phil,

It's good to see that the message really is getting across that carbs and diabetes just don't go together (in anything but a small minority of cases) but sad that, despite empathising with you, your nurse is unable to make the recommendations that she would like to. But her comment about cholesterol is one that you would hear in most surgeries throughout the country and just emphasises how little the medical profession understands about cholesterol metabolism.

The Governor

Good work PhilG - I just had two 5.8% 's in a row 9December and May) - the second one after releasing my death grip on the diet control a little bit too, so you probably have a bit of wriggle room in that, if you're anything like me.

Trinkwasser

philg said:
I feel very lucky to have such a supportive team and my next goal is to reduce my insulin another 25% without increasing my BG. I know the answer is more excercise so I will have to go fishing more often :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Once again thanks all and for anyone thinking of reducing their carbs GIVE IT A GO - it is working for me.

Phil

Yes I'm in a similar situation, the nurses are more able to discuss things off plan than the doctors but I suspect if they were too enthusiastic they also would get spanked.

Just keep chipping away at the wall. It worked in Berlin . . .

. . . if that fails send the Governor round to see them! (Welcome back and congratulations to you too!)